Hawks need to solidify and draft offensive tackle this year

seabowl

Reaction score
I know Brown is still out there but IMO drafting an OT with the first pick maybe the prudent move. Typically lineman drafted high do well and it’s such an important position that we’d be best to use it on more of a “sure thing” vs taking a flyer on potential for a skill position player. Again Brown is still out there but frankly don’t want him back.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Gawwwd I hope not.

Only if they trade back because the top pass rushers are off of the board.

They have a chance to finally, finally, snag an elite pass rusher, after not having one for years. And this class's defensive line group is full of some special athletes.

The OTs at the top are fine. They're not special.

But it seems they've allowed themselves to be backed into a corner, and might take one because of need, rather than drafting a future superstar.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
If one of Neal/Cross/Ekwonu is there, I'd be happy with the selection.

I'm all for drafting the greatest individual talent remaining. If Travon Walker is on the board, I'd probably not be able to resist.

Reactions: bbq

massari

Reaction score
Could've used #9 + #10 on a pass rusher + CB, #23 last draft on LT Christian Darrisaw, then used the $17.5M APY in free agency

Last edited:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Between #9, 40 and 41 I hope that we're adding an EDGE player, an OT and either a CB or a LB. It's time to get younger, faster and more aggressive. The team has gotten somewhat soft and needs toughening.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Gawwwd I hope not.

Only if they trade back because the top pass rushers are off of the board.

They have a chance to finally, finally, snag an elite pass rusher, after not having one for years. And this class's defensive line group is full of some special athletes.

The OTs at the top are fine. They're not special.

But it seems they've allowed themselves to be backed into a corner, and might take one because of need, rather than drafting a future superstar.

This....

If Walker, Thibodeaux, or Johnson is sitting at 9 and we are forced to take a tackle because of need, it will be a missed opportunity.

Chawker

Reaction score
We needa athletic LT, and if we go DE, he needs to be a big guy who can play in a 3-4 scheme, I'd say bigger then 270lbs.🍻

Jville

Reaction score
Teams with stable ownership that are on the same philosophical page with their staff and excel at delegating authority to their football culture have a HUGE advantage over teams that don't.

They make possible the patience necessary for projecting and developing players that need a year or two or three to mature. Such an ownership advantage more specifically makes itself know in areas of talent shortages. As is the case with big offensive tackles. Other less patient owners are routinely forced into bidding wars for limited veteran talent.

Last year saw two rookie tackles transition thru their first year on the Seahawks regular rooster. I would think the offensive tackle positions will get fresh attention every year. Duane Brown and Brandon Shell are still unsigned and available for 2022.

And finally, if the offensive plan embraces shallower drop backs by the next quarterback, that makes the pass blocking job of offensive tackles easier and in affect opens those positions up to a larger population of candidates. Also, less in the way of field reversals by the quarterback helps tremendously. After all, no candidate lineman comes equip with eyes in the back of their head.

John Schneider enjoys the support of an ownership that is head and shoulders above what a lot of other general managers are saddled with. That and Carroll's emphasis of helping others develop as players and humans provides John with a lot more options.

This year is turning out to be both instructive and fun to watch.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
It's a lot more fun to watch when you win than it is when you lose. We did so much losing last year it became predictable, and lacking tv coverage on our games less irritating. Now, it's almost like the draft will be our biggest gameday of this upcoming season.

Jville

Reaction score
John and Pete are back in their wheel house. It's an off season where they can be very creative.

Bring on the roster churn (y)

Superbowl 48

Reaction score
Austin Blythe seems like a smart person from his interview on Seahawks.com, played for the Rams, and was ranked 75 on Madden, which is six points less than Duane Brown. This seems like a great addition for Center or Guard for the Team.