Former GM Mocks Hendon Hooker to Hawks at #5

rjdriver

Reaction score
We aren't picking Hooker at 5.

Dumb....

One thing I will say that I find strange...

Usually PC is very coy about the draft. This time he seems to be going out of his way to publicly insinuate that we are not opposed to using this unprecedented draft capital to take a QB. It just doesn't seem like his M.O.

I personally think they will take Richardson if he is available, but if I'm playing poker with Pete, I could easily interpret his uncharacteristic behavior as bluffing.

You have to go back to the 2009 draft to find one as exciting and full of unknowns as this one.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I like Hooker as the QB pick this year as well as any of them, but not at #5. If the first four picks are all QB1 and we pick #5 I think this draft is going to be a pro Seahawk draft in a big way.
Yeah I wouldn’t mind Hooker later if available, like 5th or something but imo they’re still Defenders Seattle needs and a few Oline guys.

James in PA

Reaction score
Another absurd mock was released today by Bucky Brooks. He has us landing Anthony Richardson ..... at #20. And Levis falling out of the first round altogether. I know there are many here who don't think highly of these two, but there's no way either are falling that far. He also has the Colts taking Tyree Wilson at #4. 😂

Last edited:

nanomoz

Reaction score
We aren't picking Hooker at 5.

Dumb....

One thing I will say that I find strange...

Usually PC is very coy about the draft. This time he seems to be going out of his way to publicly insinuate that we are not opposed to using this unprecedented draft capital to take a QB. It just doesn't seem like his M.O.

I personally think they will take Richardson if he is available, but if I'm playing poker with Pete, I could easily interpret his uncharacteristic behavior as bluffing.

You have to go back to the 2009 draft to find one as exciting and full of unknowns as this one.

Part of this is that there just isn't any mystery with who the top four or five drafted players will be.

The mass market media tools don't really pay attention to the Seahawks, or their draft tendencies in recent years. The Hawks haven't used a pick on an iffy character guy since Malik McDowell. (That's five drafts for anyone that's paying attention.)

Even if Chad Reuter and the like haven't noticed, other front offices have. But don't tell all these tools who aren't good at their jobs and keep mocking Jalen Carter to Seattle.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
At best Hooker is a mid tier 2nd Rounder. This is just for clicks, especially since there's a real chance that one of the actual Top 4 QB's can be at the 5th spot.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Hooker will be as old as Lamar Jackson is now when he's really ready to play (in terms of injury and learning how to run an offense--he was on a script at TN).

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Another absurd mock was released today by Bucky Brooks. He has us landing Anthony Richardson ..... at #20. And Levis falling out of the first round altogether. I know there are many here who don't think highly of these two, but there's no way either are falling that far. He also has the Colts taking Tyree Wilson at #4. 😂
Meh, it's all a guessing game. Does make for some good laughs though :)

olyfan63

Reaction score
Who are they going to pick at #5 that will make or break a playoff run?
Great question! Will Anderson Jr. is the name that comes first to mind.
I think it's just as likely that who they take at #20 and #37 could be a make or break player for a playoff run.

One scenario would have Anderson Jr. #5, IOL/LB/DT #20, IOL/LB/DT/RB #37

Rationale:
#5 Anderson Jr.: QB Sacks end opponent drives, get your D off the field, and massively influence the game.
#20 IOL/LB/DT: Pass rush pressure up the middle caused several key turnovers that lost games for us. IOL is a clear need.
#37 IOL/LB/DT/RB: SF O overpowered our front 7 with their O-Line and TEs, FBs, we need more horsepower, DT, LB, 3-4 DE
#37 Cont'd: We need another good RB, lost Penny, Let's limit Walker's snap count, get some Thunder to go with Walker's Lightning.

I would love it if they picked up Hooker, but not at #5. I did see a mock that had Hooker to the Hawks at #20.

olyfan63

Reaction score
This doesn't bother me at all. He isn't doing a predictive mock, merely saying what he would do if he was the GM. I think his take is completely wrong but none of us really know. The fun with the draft season is about coming up with your opinion and then looking back on it and seeing what you hit and missed on. He's putting it out there that he thinks Hooker is being hugely underrated and time will tell whether he was right.

The obnoxious part comes when people are overconfident in their opinions and can't recognize how uncertain the process is. I'm on the other end of the spectrum with Hooker and wouldn't draft him, but is it possible that he ends up being the best QB in this class? Of course it is.
Love your take, eloquently expressed, pretty much how I see it, just better said than anything I've got.

The draft and projecting college players into potential NFL success is such a crapshoot. There are a couple threads on WRs that express this, with TCU WR Quentin Johnston as a polarizing player. He could become a great, HOF-level NFL player, or a "meh" NFL player, a faster Chris Matthews who can stay on an NFL roster. I am trending towards Johnston being a Pro Bowler near the end of his rookie contract.

I like what I've seen of Hooker and he would be a fit with the Hawks especially with 2 years of incubation-development time under Geno & Drew's tutelage. 2 more years of Geno/Lock then Hooker in his year 3, with 2 more team control years after that, could provide a cheap-QB window for a repeat of 2012-2014 level success. Not a bad gamble.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I can see the headline now:
"John overpaid for Hooker"
Good one!

Arrives in Seattle after being drafted:
"Hooker Arrives in Seattle, Refuses to Walk Aurora"
At 2nd contract negotiation time:
"John Lowballs Hooker, Scores a Deal"

Hawk4life

Reaction score
It's funny how much espionage type of crap plays into the draft. John probably took Irvin because he knew another team had him on their board.

This is going to be really interesting with Hooker because he was significantly ahead in this QB's class and was slated as being the #1 pick before the injury. He has been medically cleared and I bet he has had surveillance all over him. If he is healthy and still there, I think it would be a serious mistake not to take him at 20.

hawker84

Reaction score
Like the national talking heads other than a handful pay attention to and have a clue as to what's really going in Seattle.

James in PA

Reaction score
It's funny how much espionage type of crap plays into the draft. John probably took Irvin because he knew another team had him on their board.

This is going to be really interesting with Hooker because he was significantly ahead in this QB's class and was slated as being the #1 pick before the injury. He has been medically cleared and I bet he has had surveillance all over him. If he is healthy and still there, I think it would be a serious mistake not to take him at 20.
I haven't heard that HH was in the #1 discussion before the injury. I think it's a good possibility he could've been rated higher than Levis or Richardson. But I don't think he was up there with Stroud and Young, mainly due to the offense he played in. His age didn't help either.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
Part of this is that there just isn't any mystery with who the top four or five drafted players will be.

The mass market media tools don't really pay attention to the Seahawks, or their draft tendencies in recent years. The Hawks haven't used a pick on an iffy character guy since Malik McDowell. (That's five drafts for anyone that's paying attention.)

Even if Chad Reuter and the like haven't noticed, other front offices have. But don't tell all these tools who aren't good at their jobs and keep mocking Jalen Carter to Seattle.

Good first step. Looks like he's still got it...

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I saw this mock and decided that Bucky is just off to see the wizard.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I'll be shocked if Hooker comes off the board before our pick at #20.

I'm guessing some team will trade up at the end of the 1st round to draft Hooker and have the 5th year option available... could be the Rams moving up from #36 overall. Stafford is edging closer to retirement.
Thank you for this data. I was wondering about the 5th year option.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Outside of age, Hooker had been compared to the top QBs in this draft and had better stats than you would expect. He was top three in most statistically important categories. If you are shocked, it’s because you never researched the idea. #5, no way. With the injury and his age, a second round pick is more likely.