DVR study: 3rd quarter

kearly

Reaction score
After putting a 49er on IR with a cut block, Sweezy doesn't stop, or I should say Cable doesn't stop. One play into the second half and Sweezy has done his third "unethical" engaged cut block of the game, the same exact one that injured the 49er DT. I don't think Sweezy is a dirty player, he's just following orders. But Tom Cable? He's an evil man. I'm glad he's on our side.

Coleman has a decent but not great lead block, that essentially doesn't factor in the play.

On the next play, Lynch runs a stretch left, which is a play that should have never been called. It's a play that requires Carp to make a 2nd level block (he doesn't even come close). It's a play that requires McQuistan to seal a DE, which is difficult and not something he's used to doing as a guard. It's a play that relies on a full back lead block, and this is where Coleman gives maybe his worst lead block of the night. Result: Lynch is met by 3 different 49ers before he even comes close to reaching the line of scrimmage.

Wilson avoids pressure on 3rd and 12 and hits a WIDE OPEN Doug Baldwin for 51. I'm not sure if Baldwin was standing still or if the ball was underthrown, but if Baldwin catches it in stride it's an easy TD. Regardless, it was a brilliant play by Wilson, and if Baldwin was standing still on his own volition, it was a perfect pass too.

On said play, Aldon Smith loops around to the offensive right and both Sweezy and Giacomini are slow to pick him up, resulting in a near sack. Wilson makes a great play to sense and avoid Smith before completing the bomb to Baldwin.

Say what you want about our guard situation but these guys can run block. On this next play Unger and Carpenter do not dominate, but they nullify their assignments one on one, while Sweezy just plows his assignment across the field to his left, all the way to the left tackle area before putting the DT on his back. This opens a nice hole for Turbin who gives a very pretty looking run for 11 yards. I should emphasize again, Turbin looked very good running the football in this game. This is NOT the same Turbin from the preseason. I am no longer certain that Christine Michael is the 2nd best RB on the roster. Turbin has looked terrific.

The next run (Lynch) is blown up. It's a stretch right. Giacomini and Unger couldn't get a handle on their assignments and allowed them to penetrate their outside gaps. Unger had a tough assignment, but his blown block was essentially what ruined the play. It's a shame, because JR Sweezy did something rather amazing on this play. He attacked the second level and shoved both Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman to the ground on a knee with one move.

McQuistan is owned by Smith again (and afterwards, doesn't even chase, he just looks back in shame), and it would have been sack #3 for Smith if not for Brooks beating him there by a split second and raking his fingers across Wilson's facemask. As Scottemojo points out, Tate had just one guy to beat at the top of the screen and could have potentially scored, but Wilson did not have time to react. Brooks came through unblocked, apparently by design (Lynch runs right by him).

Sometimes a perfect throw can still be a very tough catch. That's what happened on 1st and goal from the 15. Wilson gets protection, sees Rice just barely open, throws the ball the one place where it's safe, and Rice extends out and just can't bring it in. I don't want to blame anyone for this play, it was a great throw by Wilson and a tough play for Rice.

Carpenter holds Justin Smith on Lynch's ensuing 15 yard TD run, so that's a tough break for the 49ers that it wasn't called. If called, it not only takes a TD away but puts Seattle at the 25 yard line for 2nd and goal. I'm going to count this as a makeup call for some of the shenanigans earlier in the game. Elsewhere, Unger had a quality block and Sweezy combined with Giacomini to wreck a pair of 49ers. The 49ers only had a 6 man front, and deserved to get gashed on this play. Baldwin, as always, is a remarkable blocker for his size. He gives a quality block that stymies the 49ers last line of defense. Finally- Touchdown, Seahawks.

Michael Bennett must have psychic powers. On the 49ers first play of the 2nd half, he fires off before the ball begins to move, and you know he probably wasn't hearing the snap command from the QB given the noise. There must have been some kind of "tell" the center had that clued him in. Anthony Davis has no chance and Bennett probably gets a sack here if the 49ers have any pass other than a quick one called.

Bryant trucks Iupati, three different Seahawks players close on Kaepernick, but a blitzing Chancellor loses outside contain and Kaepernick completes a pass on the move for a sizable gain and a first down.

Chancellor blitzes again, and four different Seahawks (Chancellor, Bryant, Mebane, Wagner) just barely miss again as Kaepernick turns a desperate scramble into a 28 yard gain.

Vance McDonald is a load, as Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas discover.

49ers guard Alex Boone has a bit of a tell before he pull blocks, leaning backwards almost to the point of falling down just before the snap. He is a massive guard, so "cheating*" the pull block is probably necessary as he lacks speed. But Seattle probably noticed this, because these plays never seemed to have any kind of effectiveness vs. the Seahawks.

(*note the quotations, he is not actually cheating, it's a reference to the other sense of the word)

The 49ers have 4th and goal from the 3 yard line, and while I think Kaepernick is going to have an MVP candidate type season this year (Seattle is the only team that can stop him), this play perfectly highlights why he is inferior to Russell Wilson. Seattle has an army in coverage with a very short field, but somehow leaves Quinton Patton uncovered in the endzone. Sherman, who's assigned to Boldin in apparent man coverage, notices this and straddles the field between Boldin and Patton, attempting to cover both at once. Only problem? Patton and Boldin are about 10 yards apart, and Boldin is heading away from Patton.

At first I thought Sherman was "baiting" Kaepernick but on further review you can see that Seattle has nobody on Boldin in the back of the endzone as he comes across, a result of Sherman giving up the coverage to take away the gimme TD to Patton. For a solid two or three seconds, Boldin is wide, wide open in the back of the endzone. Any of us could have thrown that TD pass, but Kaepernick is rolling to his left and too busy staring down a blanketed receiver in the corner. Kaepernick never sees Boldin, or even Patton who was open late across the field, and runs out of bounds for essentially no gain.

The 49ers miss out on an easy TD because Kaepernick, who holds the ball quite a long time, never checks a 2nd read. If it's Wilson, and he holds the ball that long, no way does he stare down a blanketed target without checking his other options.

The 49ers kick a FG, which given the game situation was not smart. I genuinely believe that Harbaugh was afraid of having his ego bruised by a shutout, which is indeed what would have happened had they gone for it and missed.

After a brutal first half, Max Unger begins to look like he's back to his usual self in the 3rd quarter. He gives a great 2nd level block on the 2nd play of Seattle's 2nd drive, a good enough block to spring a massive gain, but Carpenter, McQuistan and Sweezy are unable to create a hole and it goes down as a minimal gain.

This sets up the "Favreian" shovel pass from Wilson to convert 3rd and 4. I think we all just assumed this to be some late game Russell Wilson magic, but upon further review it appears to be a completely intentional play call. I think it very well may have been drawn up that way. Wilson bails on the pocket immediately despite good protection, the OL split the pass rushers out in a fashion very similar to a draw play, Wilson runs through a huge hole. He would have been met by a LB, but that linebacker was also covering Golden Tate going short over the middle. The LB hesitates a moment, then chooses Wilson, Wilson shovel passes the ball to an uncovered Tate and it turns into a huge gain. Had he kept up his coverage on Tate, Wilson probably still gets tackled by another defender in the area, but he very likely still gets the 1st down. If I am right and that play was designed, then big ups to Darrell Bevell. It was a very clever play that looked hard to defend on 3rd and 4.

On the same play, Sidney Rice draws a hold down field. Maybe he did grab the guy but I'm going to say this was a bad call. Rice has correct hand placement and never "tugs" his assignment. Maybe he clenched his hand on the chest area (although even that is not definitive), but if you don't tug, pull, or hold, what's the difference? I didn't like that call.

Navarro Bowman is really fast. His speed and anticipation redirects and eventually negates what might have been a huge run for Wilson on a keeper.

Wilson gets excellent protection on a play action, throws deep. Tate fights back inside for the football and draws a pass interference penalty on Asomugha.

Unger is flagged for a legit hold on a short gainer by Lynch.

Lynch runs into Sweezy's back for a short loss on a bizarre looking play. All five of Seattle's OL were clearly in pass blocking mode, but it was a read option formation and a handoff to Lynch. Wilson appeared be barking out an audible before the play. The crowd was quiet for the offense, but it appears to be a case of miscommunication on the audible.

Wilson drops back, is afforded good protection, then throws a short pass to a well covered Lynch who immediately goes backwards about 8 yards, most of it voluntarily. The official cut Lynch some slack and spotted the ball upfield a little more generously than Lynch deserved, but it was a boneheaded play after the catch by Lynch, especially when in fringe field goal range on 2nd down.

Wilson is afforded time again, which is quickly becoming a theme on this drive. He connects down the middle with Zach Miller on a great looking pass, putting Seattle short of the first down but in make-able field goal range. Breno Giacomini handles Aldon Smith without issue and a frustrated Smith smacks Breno in the helmet after the ball is thrown, drawing a clutch penalty that gifts Seattle a 1st down. You could argue that Seattle had already won the game by this point, but at the time this penalty happened the game was still in doubt. HUGE penalty.

On the next play, Seattle's O-line caves in the 49ers D-line for what looks like a very promising run play. Only problem- Aldon Smith attacks from an OLB position and steals Paul McQuistan's lunch money before giving him a massive wedgie. Smith singlehandedly destroys a great looking play for Seattle, and Lynch is tackled for a sizable loss. (This was actually the 1st play of the 4th quarter, but I couldn't resist getting it in here).

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Certain crews have favorite penalties. This was a hold crew.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Yeah, anybody else ever get the feeling that Kearly is dumbing it down for us? I was like, "hey, I understood all that... wait a minute!"

Thanks again, Kearly.

Tical21

Reaction score
Good stuff. Oh, the memories! I had the Smith penalty as the biggest play in the game. If I remember correctly, it was 12-3 at that point. For us to get 7 there instead of 3 went a long way to icing the game.

I really wish I had a copy so I could watch the shovel play again. I just can't believe that was a designed play, but I would love to see it again.

Agreed on Turbin as well. He was hot on Sunday, and I would have liked to have seen him get a few more of Marshawn's carries. Normally I don't take carries away from my stud, but Turbin had something going.

The stretch play you eloquently described stood out to me as a particularly ineffective block for Coleman. He didn't give Marshawn a chance. On the topic of Coleman, somehow it didn't occur to me before how hard it must be to audible when he is in the game, until we saw Wilson have to come back and tell him again. I can see problems with that if we're up against the play clock.

When Red went through Iupati I stood up like I had a rocket in my ass. One of my favorite plays of this era. Don't care that it didn't help. Iupati could have a HOF career and will never forget that play.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Tical21":3kldw8s2 said:
I really wish I had a copy so I could watch the shovel play again. I just can't believe that was a designed play, but I would love to see it again.

Russell actually steps up to scramble, right as Tate flashes across his face. Tate's route appears to be run as drawn up, but he keeps his eyes on Wilson as Russell starts to take off. I think it was a right place right time, situation, and not a designed shovel.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
So why is Coleman in the position he is in on this roster?

I understand it has only been two outings but reading your reviews (and I trust your analysis in this regard) it seems we are handicapping Lynch and our other tailbacks with Coleman as a leadback. What gives?

Laloosh

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2rny3hpq said:

I understand it has only been two outings but reading your reviews (and I trust your analysis in this regard) it seems we are handicapping Pynch and our other tailbacks with Coleman as a leadback. What gives?

MikeRob won't answer his phone?

HawksFTW

Reaction score
HawksFTW":35odl7ie said:
Tical21":35odl7ie said:

Russell actually steps up to scramble, right as Tate flashes across his face. Tate's route appears to be run as drawn up, but he keeps his eyes on Wilson as Russell starts to take off. I think it was a right place right time, situation, and not a designed shovel.

Part of the reason I think this is NOT by design, is Russell bails because of Aldon Smith. As soon as Russell hits his three step drop, Smith has McQ beat bad. This is what drives Russell up into the pocket, and looking to scramble. I think the play is actually designed to go deep.

Tical21

Reaction score
bestfightstory":wrqse74l said:

I understand it has only been two outings but reading your reviews (and I trust your analysis in this regard) it seems we are handicapping Lynch and our other tailbacks with Coleman as a leadback. What gives?
They have to think he has the potential to be a solid starting FB at a decent price for years it come. If he doesn't improve in a few weeks, there are plenty of out of work FB's that found themselves jobless as the position is becoming phased out from many franchises.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
The official term for RW's role is a "point guard at QB". But on that flick to Tate, he reminded me more of a ninja. Super quick, light on his feet, clever. Just a little flick of his wrist can be deadly. That plus, you know, he's short. That's what he looked like at Wisconsin. A freaking ninja at QB. That flip to Tate made those awesome Wisconsin memories rush back.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
bestfightstory":10h279st said:

Even the best make mistakes (e.g. Charlie Whitehurst, Evan Moore, etc). I think they were eager to find Mike-Rob's long term replacement and over-reacted when they found a try-hard guy with good receiving skills.

If Mike Rob isn't coming back, then they need to seriously consider retiring the FB position this season. Our rush offense blows when we have a FB on the field (and is pretty damn good otherwise). Having a FB on the field should make your running game better, not worse. It's making it much worse. The sooner Pete figures this out, the better. I am genuinely concerned that he hasn't wised up by now. Coleman was alright against Carolina, but he was abysmal in this game, and he was a poor lead blocker against non-NFL players in the pre-season. One non-horrible game out of six. Right now, he's about as good at lead blocking as David Wilson is at playing RB.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tical21":1h66xby6 said:
Good stuff. Oh, the memories! I had the Smith penalty as the biggest play in the game. If I remember correctly, it was 12-3 at that point. For us to get 7 there instead of 3 went a long way to icing the game.

Agreed on Turbin as well. He was hot on Sunday, and I would have liked to have seen him get a few more of Marshawn's carries. Normally I don't take carries away from my stud, but Turbin had something going.

The stretch play you eloquently described stood out to me as a particularly ineffective block for Coleman. He didn't give Marshawn a chance. On the topic of Coleman, somehow it didn't occur to me before how hard it must be to audible when he is in the game, until we saw Wilson have to come back and tell him again. I can see problems with that if we're up against the play clock.

When Red went through Iupati I stood up like I had a rocket in my ass. One of my favorite plays of this era. Don't care that it didn't help. Iupati could have a HOF career and will never forget that play.

I think you meant - stick - but either way you'd probably like it.

themunn

Reaction score
That play in the endzone with Sherman covering two guys, a thing of beauty. Even I saw there was mismatched coverage in real time, i was certain it was going to be a td. But kaepernick knows you simply don't look on Sherman's direction in the endzone, result... we can afford to ignore that side of the field a little more

kigenzun

Reaction score
:D Thanks kearly.
Your posts have taught me to see the game differently, think about the game differently, and speak about the game differently.

Nowadays, I don't even feel I've actually really watched the game, or understood what really happened, until I've been through the entirety 3-4 more times. And that's after poring over the collective enlightened razzmatazz of the .net as well.

With these Seahawks, it's certainly a delightful obsession to have! :p

Thanks again kearly. For all your efforts. :th2thumbs: