DROY: Woolen vs Garden

kidhawk

Reaction score
ESPN has Gardner ranked as the Number 1 rookie in the NFL with Woolen as Number 4 overall, and 2nd ranked defensive rookie. I haven't watched the Jets play a single play this season, but I have watched every down Woolen has played, so I have an obvious bias. I looked up the stats and I'd still give the nod to Woolen. Anyone want to pipe in and explain what is making Gardner ranked higher than Woolen (no need to call it East coast bias, I've considered that and although haven't ruled it out, I'm sure there are some actual football reasons I'd like to hear).

1670526377194er

keasley45

Reaction score
It's BS that Sauce is #1.

The only reason he's above Woolen is because so many of the talking heads proclaimed him a star and want to be proven right. If Woolen comes out on top, then the whole lot will have been wrong and they don't want that to happen.

I'm hoping Woolen gets 4 more picks and further distances himself from Sauce so that if they do wanna keep their collectively heads in the sand and hand the award to Gardner, that they look like completely biased blowhards.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It's mostly name recognition bias due to Sauce's draft position. He doesn't follow receivers generally and is not much better in coverage. Obviously not better in ball production.

There's a perception that he's so good in coverage that he doesn't get thrown at, but he gets thrown at more than Woolen.

Mase

Reaction score
-- Maybe Tariq should have worn a necklace with a sheep on it or something. People's fascination at the draft with that stupid sauce necklace was sad.

-- Some linen store has to get hold of Tariq and have a "Covered like a Woolen blanket" campaign.

Mase

Donn2390

Reaction score
ESPN has Gardner ranked as the Number 1 rookie in the NFL with Woolen as Number 4 overall, and 2nd ranked defensive rookie. I haven't watched the Jets play a single play this season, but I have watched every down Woolen has played, so I have an obvious bias. I looked up the stats and I'd still give the nod to Woolen. Anyone want to pipe in and explain what is making Gardner ranked higher than Woolen (no need to call it East coast bias, I've considered that and although haven't ruled it out, I'm sure there are some actual football reasons I'd like to hear).

View attachment 56067er
All name recognition, he was the bigger name coming out of college. He is an easy pick when one is too lazy to do one's homework.

JPatera76

Reaction score

View attachment 56067er
bigger name and a much bigger and crowded market. Only reason. Stat wise Woolen is better.

But these awards arent on stats. Most the NFL awards are more of a popularity contest.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sounds like it's rather unanimous (here at least) that Woolen is having the better season, but since he wasn't rated as high coming out of the draft, media types are pushing for Gardener. If that's truly the only reason, that's a sad state of affairs.

Rat

Reaction score
Sauce is really good. Jets are damn lucky to have landed him. I don't think him being named DPOY would be some all-time travesty, but it would help if Tariq could distance himself even more with INTs. That'll be impossible to ignore at some point. Sauce does a better job promoting himself too, which is stupid, but probably subconsciously help his standing among the voters.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Easy to figure out. One plays in NY the other Seattle.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Gardner holds receivers to less yards per completion, looks a little better stat wise given how much he's targeted.

Woolen has a much bigger overall impact, though. He gives up some more yardage but makes bigger plays.

Gardner is still winning based on preseason expectation, primarily, if I were to guess--but he's no slouch and is playing quite well. I think Woolen has the potential to take the spot, though. If he makes a couple of splash plays Thursday against the Niners in primetime, the narrative might change.

It'll help his case if the Seahawks defense returns to the form of a winning defense instead of a sieve that every RB in the league can run through.