Did Schneider trade for the wrong QB?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
This thread cracks me up. Because we traded for a second year guy who has started one year in the NFL, we already have people thinking it was a wasted trade. Howell was highly regarded prior to the 2022 draft.

Now on the other hand, if we had used a number one pick on a QB, most of those same people would be saying he is the future of the franchise. Albeit with no NFL starts. Fans are funny.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Check out their passing yards and the significant difference between the two. You’ll understand why we made the right choice and why it was a good trade.

Last season our guy 3946 yards passing, Fields 2576. Then look at their contracts and there the difference is stark, Fields was a former 1st rd pick and is costing Pitt more than 3 times more than we are paying Howell. JS caused a large cap saving by acquiring this quality young player far cheaper than re-signing Drew Lock, and his prorated bonus is paid by Washington. Hes a Seahawks player for two more years, and the price is right.

Why anyone is questioning who came out best between acquiring the two players escapes me.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Howell is talented enough to be a really good QB in this league. He has to prove it but he was a good prospect who many scouts really liked and he flashed some talent last year in a horrific situation. Does he become a star? Who knows? But I like the trade

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
No, we did not. Fields has had way more chances to prove he's not good vs. 1 season for Howell.

Fields has a very, very bad time to throw across every season now. He simply does not see what he needs to see (or he does see it and doesn't believe he can do anything with it). They've changed philosophy, receivers, etc. and the results remain pretty much the same.

Howell, on the other hand, did not have a particularly bad time-to-throw last year. He just overestimates what he can do. He has not adjusted to NFL game speed. It leads to him thinking he can do things vs. NFL defensive players that he just can't actually do.

---

I don't think the odds are great that Howell ever becomes an above average starter in the league because that's generally not how these things go. But I can see where his issues can be fixed and can envision a path that the Seahawks coaching staff could put him on to get there.

I will be legitimately shocked if Fields ever becomes an above average starter. He simply doesn't seem to know what to do as a QB. Some kind of Pete-ball on steroids might work for him but I don't think he has the same arm talent that Russ had to actually get to that level.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. He turned out ok. What round you go in doesn't always match how good you are.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Howell is at least a decent backup QB who might develop into starting caliber in the next year or two. For $1m a year, you can't beat that.

Sure, we gave up a third and a fifth, but the average backup QB salary is almost $3m a year.

Overall, probably worth it.