Did Kam have hip surgery or didn't he?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3mh0i6dv said:
News like this gets out in the days before the draft for a reason. His surgery didn't stay secret for a month and then get announced two days before the draft without it being on purpose. IMO.

Seattle might be trying to guarantee somebody gets ahead of them to grab a guy like Buchanon.

Agreed. Rap is basically used as a mouthpiece to manipulate draft boards right now. Almost everything he reports around this time of year is either inaccurate or purposely put out by F.O.s for their own benefit. If a team tells him they love a prospect right now, then that prospect probably isn't even on their board and vice versa. My guess is that Chancellor will be fine and that the team would be thrilled if others over-drafted safeties instead of OTs, WRs, DEs, etc. in the early rounds.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
I am hearing reports inside my head that Kam's 'minor' hip surgery was to implant shock absorbers that lessen the impact of his hits on his own body. I expect this to be confirmed by my Twitter acct named "Inside Soures" any moment now.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Cartire":2atqdimt said:
Blitzer88":2atqdimt said:
Well per 710 ESPN and a statement released by the Hawks Kam did have hip surgery.

Link to hawks statement?

I don't have a link unfortunately, I was driving and just listening to the radio broadcast.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2wv84mff said:
Cartire":2wv84mff said:
Blitzer88":2wv84mff said:
Well per 710 ESPN and a statement released by the Hawks Kam did have hip surgery.

Link to hawks statement?

I don't have a link unfortunately, I was driving and just listening to the radio broadcast.

Nah, the Seahawks haven't confirmed anything yet. This story has been floating around for a while.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Get healthy, Kam. I'm hoping this surgery puts the hip issue behind him.

kidhawk

Reaction score
For those wanting confirmation, the news tribune blog confirms the Seahawks have released the statement saying that Kam had surgery

[urltargetblank]http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2014/05/06/report-chancellor-had-hip-surgery/#more-24922[/urltargetblank]

kidhawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1ff905p8 said:
Now is the time to speculate why Kam kept this a secret for 30 days?

Perhaps it's because he hadn't had it yet? He was seen at Trufant's retirement and Thomas' signing with no reports of visible hobbling or anything like that, so maybe it was not being released until it happened. That's what I take from it anyway.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
It's a good thing he had this now instead of waiting until August 1. The initial timetable for Harvin was four months. With the same timetable, Chancellor would be back by mid-July. If that's the case, might as rest him through the preseason and get the younger guys some reps. Harvin wasn't fully healed for five months because they rushed him back for that Minnesota game.

Maybe they look at Deone Bucannon, Marquis Flowers, Telvin Smith, Dion Bailey, Ahmad Dixon, Craig Loston, etc.

Or it could be that this surgery was minimally invasive, and Kam is already nearly back. He has looked fine in his photos and appearances over the last month.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Well it was done 4 months before Harvin's so worst case he misses September but more likely just preseason. I figure they have someone in mind they hope slides by making everyone think we're targeting safeties.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Crazy that he was playing through a bad hip all season. What a beast.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Well it was done 4 months before Harvin's so worst case he misses September but more likely just preseason. I figure they have someone in mind they hope slides by making everyone think we're targeting safeties.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Well, it's really hard to speculate.

On one hand, the fact that he played through it would indicate it really is a minor surgery. Harvin's surgery was never characterized as minor. Harvin's was also a genetic defect and it was known that sooner or later that it would have to happen.

On the other hand, Harvin played through his injury as well. The saving grace for me is that everyone that has reported this has reported it as minor. Kam was reportedly seen at Trufant's retirement with no noticeable limp. Trufant's retirement was less than a month ago, meaning Kam probably had already had the surgery.

I theorize that the Hawks probably leaked this out right before the draft to screw with other teams' draft boards, and maybe get someone needing a safety in the top of the 2nd round to panic and pull the trigger on a trade. It's funny, but sometimes that's all that is needed is one team to trade up and it triggers other teams to panic and do the same.

As for drafting a Safety, I don't see that happening, unless it's to back up Earl. Deshean Shead is on our roster, listed at 6'2" and 220 lbs. He's listed at S but can also play CB. He's the obvious replacement.