Detroit signed Jason Jones

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Dang...sort of. He was great when he was on the field, but his injury history is likely to bite him again and again.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I don't want to panic but we really need some Defensive tackles on this roster...guys who could be starters. Yikes

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Be interested in the $$$ on that deal. Sounds like he was in pretty high demand from multiple teams--way out of our price range.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":fv54xpmg said:
Just cements the fact that we'll be drafting multiple D-linemen.

I'm not too pumped about a super bowl caliber team potentially relying on a non first round rookie or 2 to be heavily involved and/or starting at DT...but it aint up to me. Oh well. Maybe they intend on bringing Branch back

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2l8wte1m said:
Just cements the fact that we'll be drafting multiple D-linemen.

Yup.

As for Jones himself, he illustrated what our defense can do when we get pressure up the middle. We need a guy like him, though I'm fine with him moving on and us trying to find someone more reliable health-wise. If it's through the draft, then so be it.

I'm happy for him in that he's got the opportunity to play closer to his home, though.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Godspeed Jason Jones.

i was really excited about that signing last year, and he did make a big difference, but dude couldn't seem to stay on the field. Even before the injury that put him on IR, he seemed to be missing entire drives all the damn time. I remeber seeing him with a giant ice pack on his knee in the very first pre season game last year and thinking "shit... that ain't good". He's a talented guy though and seemes to be a good dude. Best of luck in your future endevors JJ.

hawker84

Reaction score
that sucks, welll JS - Pete, time to work some magic... we have got to land some impact D lineman, or our run d/pass rush will be more of the same....

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Damn Lions. Jason Jones, kiss your career goodbye. lol.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Looks like the Lions infatuation with former Seahawks continues. I don't think there's too many Seahawks in Detroit. Perhaps they keep bringing them in to get some insider info on the mythical bird creature. I picture Jones, Burleson, and Sims all sitting around and telling Suh and the rest of the team stories about the majestic osprey, with the Lions players ooing and aahing with fascination.

I would've been cool with a Jones return, but he's from Detroit and starred at Eastern Michigan before entering the NFL. I'm guessing the Hawks will look to the draft for another Jason Jones. Jones himself wasn't drafted until the 2nd round and he's had a fairly successful career in the league as a versatile pass rusher when he's been healthy. It was public knowledge that his contract last season was a "show me" type contract and I guess the Seahawks just couldn't take a risk on him and his health. I'm a fan of his though, so I hope he tears it up for the Lions and I think he'll do an excellent job considering he'll be playing on the same line as Suh and Fairley, even if/when Avril leaves. Good move by Detroit.

Of course, I'm hoping this means the Seahawks get a better and healthier version of Jason Jones in Michael Bennett. Nearly identical in size (Jones 6'5" 275/Bennett 6'4" 274), both versatile, Jones is quicker and probably the more agile of the two but Bennett's stronger and more durable. He'll cost more than Jones would've, but I think he's more reliable and a better overall player.

Seaswab

Reaction score
Carroll seems to think Dan Quinn is just going to come in and solve everything

JKent82

Reaction score
Seaswab":qn14mnf7 said:
Carroll seems to think Dan Quinn is just going to come in and solve everything

A likely overreaction to the first 20 hours of FA.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I really expect a drop off on our defense. I guess the FO doesn't see the need to pursue it. While I love the Havin addition, will it make enough difference for our future drop off on defense?

chawx

Reaction score
The dude just wanted more money over being in a winning environment on a winning team. To each their own.

We don't need guys like that on this team anyway.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Still plenty of DTs and DEs in FA and in the draft. Losing out on Jones isn't a death knell for our D.

We went 3-1 in games without him, for the record. Let's just bring the next man in and make it work.

Seahwkgal":2dk3evcs said:
I really expect a drop off on our defense. I guess the FO doesn't see the need to pursue it. While I love the Havin addition, will it make enough difference for our future drop off on defense?

And as noted above, we haven't even gone through the 2nd day of FA yet. How do you know the FO isn't pursuing D-line help? We signed Jones on the 4th day of FA last year. Give it a minute.

Ray74

Reaction score
Tough calls on both James and Branch......... want to keep both but I think we none of them will live out any contract