DeAndre Hopkins released by AZ

Kamcussionator

Reaction score

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
No good reason to willingly accelerate the 2024 dead money cap hit into the 2023 cap calculations.
My guess is Cards want to rip off the bandaid while they have the extra cap space with the plan of tanking 2023 and drafting Murray’s replacement in 2024 they will need all the cap space possible in 2024 to offload the contract either trading or releasing

Hawkinaz

Reaction score

Says he wants to go to the Chiefs, Ravens, Bills, Eagles, or Chargers. Doesn't mean he will, but that's what he said.

AZ looks to have the #1 and 2 picks in the draft. Not sure why they're moving him now. D-Hop and Marvin Harrison Jr would look really good with Caleb Williams.
Cards are moving him due to being a $30 million cap hit in 2023 and not wanting to be there and part of the rebuild. It’s possible that Gannon is a coach for 1 season and the Cards make a run at Lincoln Riley if they draft Caleb Williams

flv2

Reaction score
How do you figure? After taking the hit they still have over $20 million in space. Why hurt next years cap to add money for this year you aren’t using?

Besides that even taking the whole dead money this year they are still saving $8 million by cutting him.
Bringing forward a dead money cap hit doesn't hurt or help next year at all. There's no difference in having $200M as opposed to $200M plus a carry over of $22.6M and having $22.6M in dead money. All it does is reduce current year flexibility. No-one is arguing his $19.4M salary. If he's not worth it then cut him and save the money. Generally fans don't like seeing their team with a large amount of cap space that they're not using so some teams, (especially the Rams), manipulate the cap to keep current cap space low.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Bringing forward a dead money cap hit doesn't hurt or help next year at all. There's no difference in having $200M as opposed to $200M plus a carry over of $22.6M and having $22.6M in dead money. All it does is reduce current year flexibility. No-one is arguing his $19.4M salary. If he's not worth it then cut him and save the money. Generally fans don't like seeing their team with a large amount of cap space that they're not using so some teams, (especially the Rams), manipulate the cap to keep current cap space low.

That is true, but looking at having $20 million left in cap space, I think that should cover any moves the Cardinals need to make this year.

Scout

Reaction score
The Cards are tanking for a QB next year. I mean how in the world are they supposed to evaluate Murray by releasing a player like Hopkins?

flv2

Reaction score
That is true, but looking at having $20 million left in cap space, I think that should cover any moves the Cardinals need to make this year.
I would think so too, but you never know who will shake loose from other teams before the season starts, or at the trade deadline. I would only willingly limit my options if there was a benefit from doing so. Probably not a big deal.

James in PA

Reaction score
The Cards are tanking for a QB next year. I mean how in the world are they supposed to evaluate Murray by releasing a player like Hopkins?
This. They are going to be horrible *and* they have Houston's first round pick, who will also be bad. They are going to be in prime position for an elite QB prospect. The disappointing Kyler era is coming to an end. How stupid are the Texans for making that trade? Anderson is a nice player, but come on.