Creed Humphrey/Dee Eskridge

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Ever since the 2021 draft, this pick debacle shows up in threads here and there. I was cleaning some stuff out the other day and ran across a ‘21 predraft magazine. Granted, these magazines are not always the best source for NFL prospective talent but they do provide a pretty good sense of of players available.

In the magazine I looked at, Trevor Lawrence was the overall number one pick in their list of top 100 prospects. Humphrey was number 56 and Eskridge didn’t make the top 100.

Eskridge was however, number 28 amongst the available WRs. As I perused the lists generated by position, it occurred to me that after two NFL seasons there aren’t a lot of household names among these guys. There’s the 4-5 QBs starting that outside of Lawrence probably won’t last much past a possible second contract.

This isn’t a post about QBs and their draft viability. What I took out of going through these lists is that there is a strong chance that Creed Humphrey could end up the best pick out of this entire class. Each position lists anywhere from 10(C)-30(CBs) guys as they have them ranked. I counted about 15 guys that could be considered, as of now fairly solid picks. I don’t follow every team closely and don’t really know how a lot of these picks are performing for their teams, but there just aren’t many household names out of this draft two years later.

Not only was picking Eskridge over Humphrey a bad decision, he was not even the best WR they could have gotten.

My thoughts on this draft went back to the Russell Wilson affect on this team. Going into that draft, RW was advocating for help. One could argue that WR help would be right at the top of his list.

Was RW advocating for a center or WR? Part of me thinks the pick could have been a big symbolic middle finger to Wilson. Maybe Pete and John heard Russ telling them he needed more weapons but only because he wanted to do things his way. They knew what they wanted to do and knew he was slowing down and losing that escapability that was such a big part of his game. They knew that a better line would help his game but he didn’t want to play their game.

In retrospect it was such a huge draft miss that something else had to be in play. The o line sucked and needed to be rebuilt. Unless they felt like they could wait until after RW was gone and they just kept bowing to Mr Limited.

The draft in and of itself is a crapshoot. If teams thought Humphrey was going to be as good as he is, why did he last into the second round? The bigger question is who the hell had Eskridge ranked so high?!

BASF

Reaction score
You know, thinking about it, I have a feeling that the coaching staff knew how good Pocic actually is and thought he would stick around. It was Me3 marks that hated him and blamed him for their hero's failings. I honestly think if Pocic had stuck around and played as well as he did for Cleveland this year, these posts wouldn't happen very often.

u0087966

Reaction score
This is all about ONE play....the jet sweep. The Hawks still can't figure out how to stop it on defense nor can they figure out how to perfect it on offense. The took Eskridge just to run jet sweeps but he got decimated by it in his rookie year and hasn't been the same since.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Ever since the 2021 draft, this pick debacle shows up in threads here and there. I was cleaning some stuff out the other day and ran across a ‘21 predraft magazine. Granted, these magazines are not always the best source for NFL prospective talent but they do provide a pretty good sense of of players available.

In the magazine I looked at, Trevor Lawrence was the overall number one pick in their list of top 100 prospects. Humphrey was number 56 and Eskridge didn’t make the top 100.

Eskridge was however, number 28 amongst the available WRs. As I perused the lists generated by position, it occurred to me that after two NFL seasons there aren’t a lot of household names among these guys. There’s the 4-5 QBs starting that outside of Lawrence probably won’t last much past a possible second contract.

This isn’t a post about QBs and their draft viability. What I took out of going through these lists is that there is a strong chance that Creed Humphrey could end up the best pick out of this entire class. Each position lists anywhere from 10(C)-30(CBs) guys as they have them ranked. I counted about 15 guys that could be considered, as of now fairly solid picks. I don’t follow every team closely and don’t really know how a lot of these picks are performing for their teams, but there just aren’t many household names out of this draft two years later.

Not only was picking Eskridge over Humphrey a bad decision, he was not even the best WR they could have gotten.

My thoughts on this draft went back to the Russell Wilson affect on this team. Going into that draft, RW was advocating for help. One could argue that WR help would be right at the top of his list.

Was RW advocating for a center or WR? Part of me thinks the pick could have been a big symbolic middle finger to Wilson. Maybe Pete and John heard Russ telling them he needed more weapons but only because he wanted to do things his way. They knew what they wanted to do and knew he was slowing down and losing that escapability that was such a big part of his game. They knew that a better line would help his game but he didn’t want to play their game.

In retrospect it was such a huge draft miss that something else had to be in play. The o line sucked and needed to be rebuilt. Unless they felt like they could wait until after RW was gone and they just kept bowing to Mr Limited.

The draft in and of itself is a crapshoot. If teams thought Humphrey was going to be as good as he is, why did he last into the second round? The bigger question is who the hell had Eskridge ranked so high?!
We should probably start by correcting the record on what Eskridge's perceived stock was - he was 83rd on the far more accurate consensus big board that aggregates all notable big boards and mocks to arrive at a consensus ranking, and had a peak ranking of 46th overall in the offseason.

Also, they had Freddie Swain as their WR3 and Ethan Pocic as their starting center. Swain is a fringe NFL player and Pocic is a legitimate starting center who I contend that they should've tried to keep harder than they did. Pocic also played well down the stretch in 2021, being a big part of Penny's historic tear to end the year.

There's a lot more logic in the selection than is being acknowledged here. Eskridge just ended up not being all that good so far. That happens to most players selected at the end of the second. Still an unfortunate miss.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I also want to make the point that Creed went, what, 63rd overall?

Seattle isn't the only team who "needed" a center that passed on him. Some even passed multiple times. It happens. Everyone else missed on him too.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
We should probably start by correcting the record on what Eskridge's perceived stock was - he was 83rd on the far more accurate consensus big board that aggregates all notable big boards and mocks to arrive at a consensus ranking, and had a peak ranking of 46th overall in the offseason.

Also, they had Freddie Swain as their WR3 and Ethan Pocic as their starting center. Swain is a fringe NFL player and Pocic is a legitimate starting center who I contend that they should've tried to keep harder than they did. Pocic also played well down the stretch in 2021, being a big part of Penny's historic tear to end the year.

There's a lot more logic in the selection than is being acknowledged here. Eskridge just ended up not being all that good so far. That happens to most players selected at the end of the second. Still an unfortunate miss.
Well, hindsight is 2020. I guess thats why a lot of people talk out of their asses.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Well, hindsight is 2020. I guess thats why a lot of people talk out of their asses.
Except people were calling the Eskridge pick terrible at the time it was made. That wasn't a great example of hindsight. He wasn't even considered the best WR on the board at the time.

getnasty

Reaction score
We didn't pick Creed Humphrey, that sucks.
We picked Dee Eskridge, that sucks.
People that dwell on the negative also suck.
Move on.

massari

Reaction score
Trading down and not picking Montez Sweat when they were desperate for pass rushers after trading Frank Clark was also an overlooked pivotal mistake.

They spent so many years neglecting the trenches.

Jville

Reaction score
I also want to make the point that Creed went, what, 63rd overall?

Seattle isn't the only team who "needed" a center that passed on him. Some even passed multiple times. It happens. Everyone else missed on him too.

Creed may have slipped down many teams boards in part because of his very short arms for his size. There were probably other reasons as well we will never hear about. And, who among us knows what his GPS data set looked like. In the end it doesn't matter.

Unlike board games and such, in life there are no do overs. It's now in the past.

massari

Reaction score
You know, thinking about it, I have a feeling that the coaching staff knew how good Pocic actually is and thought he would stick around. It was Me3 marks that hated him and blamed him for their hero's failings. I honestly think if Pocic had stuck around and played as well as he did for Cleveland this year, these posts wouldn't happen very often.
Unger was elite playing Center with Wilson. Britt had some good seasons at Center too. Pocic was incredibly inconsistent and always injured. Seems like If the Hawks thought highly of Pocic, they wouldn't have let him go to the Browns for $1M while signing Blythe for $4M.

Jville

Reaction score
My simple explanation is ...............

Blythe was brought in to set the table and turn the page. In 2022 the staff chose those they trusted to run their system. Resulting in a new center and a new quarterback.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Trading down and not picking Montez Sweat when they were desperate for pass rushers after trading Frank Clark was also an overlooked pivotal mistake.

They spent so many years neglecting the trenches.
And then panic picking Collier and looking like they had gotten roundhoused in the balls in the post-day 1 presser. Maybe the biggest draft lowlight. At least McDowell had undeniable talent when selected.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
So far by results delivered there isn't much doubt the Eskridge pick was not a good pick. at the time as well the team need a C so the miss on Humphrey has been more huge mistake.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Woulda, coulda, shoulda... that's the way the cookie crumbles... water under the bridge... take your pick... what's past is past.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Eskridge has proven he was a bad pick, never healthy, unreliable, of dubious character. Humphrey otoh is unquestionably a talented OC and a Pro Bowl quality player.

The team chose the wrong guy, end of story, little else to say.

Eskridge is now down to his last chance here, he probably will get injured and it will then be over for him. It’d be nice to see something from him but seriously I think he’s just another athlete with some ability that couldn’t hack the physicality of pro football. I expect nothing from him he doesn’t have the stuff.