Cody Barton's snaps are killing this team

Polk738

Reaction score
I was waiting for FGs to post the snap count and low and behold Barton was on the field for 56 snaps to Coby Bryant's 53- It's crazy to think they are 5-0 when his snap count is under 50 but 1-5 when it's over 50

Capture

cymatica

Reaction score
If I were to guess, I would say teams are playing personnel packages that forces this. No excuse though. Coaches should seriously bench him, even a practice squad LB would be better.

I don't know how anyone can even argue he is better than a db against obvious run formations, he is always taking himself out of run plays by choosing to run away from wide open gaps and seek out linemen engage.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The causation is at least partly going in the opposite direction. When we can shut down the opponents running game and force them into passing situations then we can play more DBs. When we're having trouble against the run then we're more likely to both lose the game and play bigger personnel.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
I'd rather see a bag of lawn clippings out there, atleast it might get in the way.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Hes one of the worst pro linebackers I've ever seen.

He's physically weak. Hes always in the wrong gap assignment. I literally see no strengths to his game. It's as if a fan won a contest to play for the team.

Surely there's got to be a better option. Nobody on the team can play better?? Not even a free agent?

seahawks08

Reaction score
Are we tied to those packages? Can’t we mix and match and see what works?

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I’ve been SCREAMING all season long to bench Barton. How is he even starting at all? He SUCKS!

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I’ve been SCREAMING all season long to bench Barton. How is he even starting at all? He SUCKS!

So who would u put in as an alternative to suck less? He’s in there for the same reason Collier is. Less perceived risk of f ups.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hes one of the worst pro linebackers I've ever seen.

He's physically weak. Hes always in the wrong gap assignment. I literally see no strengths to his game. It's as if a fan won a contest to play for the team.

Surely there's got to be a better option. Nobody on the team can play better?? Not even a free agent?

Barton has some good side to side quickness and instinct.

But that's where it ends. As a team and defense that relies heavily on it's two main base MLB's, Barton is a liability in the run game, a BIG ONE.

Btw, Brooks isn't absolved in this conversation. He was suppose to replace Bobby as the physical run/hole stuffing monster in the middle of the defense blowing plays up at the line and driving RB's backwards.

Have we seen any of that? Everyone keeps applauding how many tackles he has, but no one's talking about the fact that most of them are 2-3 yards past the line of scrimmage, then getting dragged for another 2-3 yards.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Barton is a good special teamer and shouldn't be starting, but there are10 others are on the field too. Dline has been poop and do nothing to keep LBs clean

sdog1981

Reaction score
They absolutely are. What happened to the 6-man and 5-man fronts they were running with no Barton in the Giants game and Cardinals games? Brooks is better when Barton is off the field too.

This is an example of sloppy Pete. Going away from something that was working because the match up says they needed 2 MLBs.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So who would u put in as an alternative to suck less? He’s in there for the same reason Collier is. Less perceived risk of f ups.

There is no alternative. It's sure as hell not Nick Bellore.

Pete touched on it yesterday, the only remedy is to go nickel and dime more and have a 3rd safety down in the box to help with the run game. So you're probably going to see more snaps for Josh Jones and even Joey Blount, or Neal coming down into the box like he did here.

But that's if Neal's OK, which it doesn't sound like he is. This also means leaving your corners on islands, which I'm not exactly OK with seeing as Bryant struggles mightedly without over the top safety help.

cymatica

Reaction score
I don't think we can even call it a 3-4. It's a 3-3-Barton . maybe a 3-3.5

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Barton simply is not that reliable as a tackler, just watch and see how many arm tackles he makes that are broken.

James in PA

Reaction score
Every time I see Barton on the field, I seriously get that sinking feeling. I say to myself, "isn't there ANYONE else?"

At least he picked off the GOAT. That will be the highlight of his career, no doubt.

OP
OP
Polk738

Polk738

Reaction score
Pete touched on it yesterday, the only remedy is to go nickel and dime more and have a 3rd safety down in the box to help with the run game. So you're probably going to see more snaps for Josh Jones and even Joey Blount, or Neal coming down into the box like he did here.

Which I think that is what they were playing when they held the Cards and Giants in check, it worked so I don't understand why they went away from it.

But that's if Neal's OK, which it doesn't sound like he is. This also means leaving your corners on islands, which I'm not exactly OK with seeing as Bryant struggles mightedly without over the top safety help.

I haven't seen anything official yet but I believe Pete was optomistic that he'd start against the Rams, I think it was just an elbow

OP
OP
Polk738

Polk738

Reaction score

Sorry for the repost of the first video that Sgt Largent put up but I wanted to show the second video where you can get a better look at the formation they used on that play, Here they are in their base 2-4-5 alignment, which normally gets destroyed against the run but I think they get lucky here because they end up running to Mike Jackson's side and he ends up making the play.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Which I think that is what they were playing when they held the Cards and Giants in check, it worked so I don't understand why they went away from it.
Because they played two teams with savvy accurate and smart veteran QB's in Brady and Carr that could pick apart this scheme with a dynamic short passing game.

Good QB's and good coordinators know how to pick on your weaknesses, and my friend this defense has quite a few to pick on.

JPatera76

Reaction score
There is no alternative. It's sure as hell not Nick Bellore.

Maybe even Tre Brown more as well into the mix