Coaches keep turning the Denver job down

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is a job killer. Hackett has been a great coach everywhere he’s been. Coaching prospects don’t want to be the next Hackett

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
My guess is it’s all money related. Bronco’s 1st pick was Ryans thinking he would take less money but he wanted to coach the Texans, than they went to Harbaugh there wasn’t any draft compensation but didn’t offer him enough money to move from Michigan, than the Bronco’s had to turn tail and hire Payton who I didn’t think was their 1st option

If I was making the decision Harbaugh would have been my choice I would have asked Harbaugh what would it take for you to take the job and given to him

Harbaugh has experience turning around an NFL franchise and did it quickly, is an excellent QB coach and no draft compensation would have been needed. The one negative about Harbaugh is he can grind on you after a while at least he did with the 9ers maybe he has mellowed with age 😆

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Weird hire. Payton is an overrated coach and left the Saints in shambles when he took his hiatus. They’ll probably go 6-11 is my guess but they might be decent if they ditch Wilson

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Weird hire. Payton is an overrated coach and left the Saints in shambles when he took his hiatus. They’ll probably go 6-11 is my guess but they might be decent if they ditch Wilson
I think it's the perfect hire. He's really the only guy that I can think of that is capable of salvaging Russell Wilson. He knows QB's and I think he's one of the only coaches capable of fixing Russ at this point. They're stuck with Russell Wilson for years at this point, so it makes sense that Denver went and got a guy like Payton. He knows offense and nobody has more experience working around shorter QB's. Every QB that has played under him has over performed.

Essentially, he's one of the only guys that has a chance at salvaging the Russell Wilson trade. They're stuck with Wilson for years, so this hail mary was one of their only options at this point. He may be overrated as an HC, but the guy does have a history of building potent offenses and bringing QB's to the next level.

He's really one of the only coaches that I can think of that has a shot at changing the current situation in Denver.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
He, like Pete Carroll, add stability to their respective teams. I mean, the guy was in New Orleans for what, 15 years? I've yet to achieve 15 years at the same job without moving on for new challenges.

And a most recent 5 straight winning record seasons is not exactly shambles.

Payton ought to do OK.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
He, like Pete Carroll, add stability to their respective teams. I mean, the guy was in New Orleans for what, 15 years? I've yet to achieve 15 years at the same job without moving on for new challenges.

And a most recent 5 straight winning record seasons is not exactly shambles.

Payton ought to do OK.
With Drew Brees sure. With bounty gate sure. I mean Mickey Loomis built him a dynastic roster and Payton did little to get in the way aside from paying players for cheap shots

RiverDog

Reaction score
IMO coaching and scheme had little to do with Russell's failings last season. Having watched a good chunk of his games, there were lots of times where he made some very poor decisions, didn't see open receivers, threw into tight windows when he had easy first downs had he ran, things like that. A prime example is the overtime loss to the Colts where he had KJ Hamler wide open for an easy TD that he passed over in lieu of a covered receiver at the back of the end zone. For a quarterback that has been starting for 11 years, that's not a coaching or scheme problem.

He did the same things in his first season with the Broncos that he was doing in his last few years with us, the most obvious of which is holding onto the ball too gawd damn long.

Last season, Russell's time to throw was 34th in the league. There were only 2 other starting QB's with 300+ attempts (Lamar Jackson and Justin Fields) that took longer than him, and they were at least 8 years younger and much more of a running threat. Russell's holding onto the ball so long was directly responsible for his taking a league leading 55 sacks, a stat made worse by his playing in just 15 games. IMO he still hasn't come to grips with the fact that at 34 years of age, he's no longer a spring chicken.

That's going to be Payton's biggest challenge, first to get Russell to recognize the problem and secondly to put him in a position to correct it. I'm not saying that Russell is unfixable, but he's going to have to make some significant changes in his game if he's going to make it happen.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I don't think it matters who the Broncos hired. Russ isn't changing the way he plays and he's too old to play the way he does. I'll be amazed if any coach can change this to the point where Russ is actually worth the $$$ they are paying him.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I don't think it matters who the Broncos hired. Russ isn't changing the way he plays and he's too old to play the way he does. I'll be amazed if any coach can change this to the point where Russ is actually worth the $$$ they are paying him.
I wouldn't make that assumption. Last season was the worst in Russell's career BY FAR. He was humiliated, the vast majority of the fan base hated him, he was the butt of everyone's jokes (the home bathrooms vs. TD passes, knee highs on the plane to London, etc), something he hasn't had to deal with in his entire life. It's quite possible that he had a "come to Jesus" moment. I know I would if it were me.

With the hiring of Sean Payton, a coach that commands immediate respect, the mentor of Drew Brees, the player that Russell claims to have idolized and of whom Payton was credited with coaching up to a HOF level, the Broncos have brought in someone that Russell will have to listen to. It will be a quite different relationship from what he had with Hackett, who Russell looked to as more of an equal than his superior.

Having said that, I wouldn't bet any money on him turning it around, either. What you say could end up being true.

rcaido

Reaction score
Broncos failure was mostly due the the league leading injuries. Wilson has always struggle without a run game. Wilson force a lot of things he normally never did before. I think w/ Payton quick high percentage plays is going to help him tremendously. Along w/ getting Williams back. I wouldn't be surprise if they go after another RB that can catch.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Broncos failure was mostly due the the league leading injuries. Wilson has always struggle without a run game. Wilson force a lot of things he normally never did before. I think w/ Payton quick high percentage plays is going to help him tremendously. Along w/ getting Williams back. I wouldn't be surprise if they go after another RB that can catch.
The issue with Russ is he struggles with those quick high percentage plays. His short throws and anticipation throws are always off.