Clowney breakdown

Ruminator

Reaction score
Shoot, Rams got lucky on a few plays because Clowney was a beast out there. Clowney is going to demolish his share of QBs before the season is over.

Polk738

Reaction score
Baldy really called Clowney a condor LOL, I like how he acknowledges Clowney's impact that doesn't show up in the stat sheets, during the game I could see he was getting in Goff's face but was still somehow making some crazy throws.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
really nice breakdown, it's easy to get bogged down in the numbers but he is just disruptive. It's no mistake that Jefferson is looking as good as he is with the room Clowneys opening up. With Reed back and Ansah getting up to speed, this line is going to create some havoc and I can't wait to see it. I hope we find a way to get JC and Reed both locked up going forward.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Watching in the stadium I only saw some of this but once I got home and re-watched the game I thought Clowney was awesome. He was so close on so many plays. The guy looks like he is having fun playing here too. I really hope we can get him resigned at a decent price after the season.

Jville

Reaction score
(On what he thought about the pass rush against the Rams) “Clowney was so close to having a huge night, he was all over. Arms up, just missed probably four different times to knock balls down to be a factor on the plays. He was wild with his rushes, I thought he did a great job, it just didn’t show up numbers wise. But he had an effect. Q [Jefferson] had some solid rushes. We played the run look a lot. We didn’t put these guys in pass rush modes a lot, and just trying to eliminate one aspect of the game. We’ll be able to help those guys more. I think this was the game I now can see some things that we can do better, and we can utilize our guys a little uniquely for their strengths. They’re playing really hard, with really good consistent effort. Ziggy [Ansah] is one of those guys who just plays so hard, stuff is going to happen for him too. I think the pass rush is going to come alive here in the next few weeks, I’m really excited about that. It’s the first time I really could see enough and feel like we’ve seen these guys out there enough to make some evaluations to make the kind of tweaks and stuff so we can help them out. “ Pete Carroll
.................................. there can be little doubt that team growth in October will be something to behold.

jmahon316

Reaction score
I said it before and I'll say it again: Clowney will sign an extension here during the off-season, and hopefully it will be a team-friendly deal considering how much he clearly loves this organization

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Our pressure rate doubled or even tripled when he was in.

I am sick of seeing him in coverage though. That is stupid.

That is the defensive equivalent of having Jimmy Graham in for blocking. You are not using him at the thing he is best for you at. He is best for run defense and 2nd best at pressuring the QB.

He is OK in coverage but why bother?

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'm okay with him in the flat (he's so long) if it allows Bobby or Kendricks to shoot a gap, but yeah, he should be rushing or containing.

Threedee

Reaction score
I've always wondered if Clowney is injury-prone, or if the Texans are a dysfunctional organization that can't keep its other defensive players (Watt, Cushing, etc) healthy, either. Only time will tell, I guess...

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2ztpgg3x said:

That is the defensive equivalent of having Jimmy Graham in for blocking. You are not using him at the thing he is best for you at. He is best for run defense and 2nd best at pressuring the QB.

It was just a drop to allow Kendrick or someone else to hit a gap, Clowney did it in for the Texans as a LB so not a big deal, hell they had Avril do it and Red Bryant just to mess with the Linesman head and QB reads.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3kefdnv5 said:

Its funny when people get angry about a vanilla 4 man pass rush and call for some more exotic blitzes, then when we start using exotic blitzes, people complain we are not using our 4 man pass rush.

Can't make some people happy.

The zone blitz has been around since the 80's and is a staple of most blitz packages. Putting a DE into an area to allow an extra LB come at the QB is standard fare with that call. Heck i've even seen a couple blitz calls where Poona dropped into coverage.

It's all to create confusion with the oL and hopefully spring a free rusher.

John63

Reaction score
Clowney is making a positive mark in every game even if the stats dont show it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Stats OFTEN don't show a player's impact. Clowney is a perfect example his entire career.
He is a game changing player.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Him and Aaron Donald had monster games on Thursday without much to show for it on the stat book. I hope they can lock him up long term, especially with how much he seems to love the organization. Crazy athleticism and never gives up on plays. If they can get another guy consistently getting pressure (Ansah, Reed), the secondary should start looking better as well.

It's also gotta be nice having a coach like Pete who sprints at you on the sideline with a punch to your chest after a big play, I doubt he's ever played for a guy like Pete who gets so pumped for his D guys.

justafan

Reaction score
flmmkrz":3hlq1ulj said:
really nice breakdown, it's easy to get bogged down in the numbers but he is just disruptive. It's no mistake that Jefferson is looking as good as he is with the room Clowneys opening up. With Reed back and Ansah getting up to speed, this line is going to create some havoc and I can't wait to see it. I hope we find a way to get JC and Reed both locked up going forward.

First thanks Bemads for the link I love Baldys breakdowns. That was a good one.

You are right about Jefferson. He is having a great start and its a team game everyone has to do their job and Clowney is huge for this team.

I could see someone coming in and offering Jefferson an overpriced contract next year if he keeps this up