Cliff Avril

peppersjap

Reaction score
I didn't see another thread on him. Avril is having an insane season. He had 2 sacks today with 2 tackles for loss. He is just exploding off the end. He was all over Palmer last weekend and would have had multiple sacks if it was not for Palmers presence in the pocket, he would step up barely avoiding the pressure. On NFL insiders last week were saying they thought he was the best 4-3 DE in the league. Cliff Avril being injured in the Super Bowl was the biggest reason Brady was able to get comfortably against us late in the game.

aawolf

Reaction score
Since we won, is it OK to now call out the officials for their non-calls on holding penalties for the 49ers? At least two of their long pass plays were accompanied by their o-line tackling either Bennet or Avril. It was just sooo obvious. Considering the phantom hold they called on Sweezy, they should be more consistent calling holding penalties when our D-linemen get pulled back.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
:lol: :lol:

Overall I thought it was a pretty well officiated game.

There was some maybe/maybe not offensive line holding on both sides (Lynch and Armstead being held I noticed; Avril and one of the Hawks DTs I noticed too), but that's true of every game.

Really the only two egregiously bad calls IMO were the ones also spotted by the announcers: the phantom leg whip on Sweezy and the phantom helmet-to-helmet on Patton.

OP
OP
P

peppersjap

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2hb81tj3 said:
:lol: :lol:

Overall I thought it was a pretty well officiated game.

There was some maybe/maybe not offensive line holding on both sides (Lynch and Armstead being held I noticed; Avril and one of the Hawks DTs I noticed too), but that's true of every game.

Really the only two egregiously bad calls IMO were the ones also spotted by the announcers: the phantom leg whip on Sweezy and the phantom helmet-to-helmet on Patton.
I do have to admit I thought the penalty on Patton was warranted watching it in real time in the stadium, it really looked like he launched but watching it on replay tonight I changed my opinion.......very good and clean hit!

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Avril and Bennett might be the best DE combo in the entire league. We already knew Bennett was a monster but Avril has played even better than he did in the past. Really happy with his performance.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt about how good he has been. We hear so much about bad contracts/signing etc. But Bennett and Avril were damn good signings.

crosfam

Reaction score
Avril is the most deserving member of our defense for a Pro Bowl selection. That said, Bennett, Wagner, KJ Wright also deserve a selection.

I could see Avril getting passed over because more 'famous" members of the defense go. Sherman, Kam, and Thomas are playing well enough for a nomination - though it is not as strong a year as in the past. Their reputation might get some or all of them in, the detriment of players like Avril.

Of course, I'd rather see none of our folks playing in that game - like the last two years.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":30g9ht3x said:
No doubt about how good he has been. We hear so much about bad contracts/signing etc. But Bennett and Avril were damn good signings.

So was KJ's signing.

Willyeye

Reaction score
aawolf":3ep8z4ee said:
Since we won, is it OK to now call out the officials for their non-calls on holding penalties for the 49ers? At least two of their long pass plays were accompanied by their o-line tackling either Bennet or Avril. It was just sooo obvious. Considering the phantom hold they called on Sweezy, they should be more consistent calling holding penalties when our D-linemen get pulled back.

I don't think the NFL cared much about the Hawk-49er game. the one they cared about was the Hawks-Cards game. They called some ticky-tacky holds on us and a phantom face mask on Gilliam. They killed 5 drives for us. I saw at least a dozen blatant holds on the Cards O-Line, and the refs didn't call even one the entire game. They got what they wanted...a Seahawk team that was below .500 in Week 10.

Rob12

Reaction score
He's the best player on the defense right now. Totally underrated. He's a force every bit as much as Bennett. He gets pressure on every play, even when he doesn't get all the way home. I think he's absolutely a top 10 defensive player in this league. We're lucky to have him.

Rob12

Reaction score
And great point on the SB. Brady was like 15-17 after Avril went down. That's kind of a the proof is in the pudding type things. He was having a great game and getting constant pressure.

Latest posts