Chris Peterson resigns

Maulbert

Reaction score
DomeHawk":tnojqta7 said:
hawksfansinceday1":tnojqta7 said:
Just heard this. My reaction is the same as DJrmb's. Wow, just wow. My second thought was "USC". He fits what the new university President wants, a quality human being that doesn't overlook his asst. coach physically abusing his wife like good ol' Urbs and he's a proven winner. Man if he goes there Dawg hardcore fans (looking at you Dome) gonna be freakin' pissed!

I dunno maybe it's just a case of him being bored with beating Mike Leach like a drum every November. :sarcasm_off:

Your post displays an almost complete misunderstanding of who Chris Petersen is.

Chris Petersen would rather be staked out naked over an ant hill than live in L.A.

I honestly think Washington was the only college that could pry him away from Boise State. He grew up a Husky fan, didn't he?

Allweatherfan

Reaction score
Shoot, really enjoyed his games vs Cristobal. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
Peterson as an advisor for continuity, IF in the event he gets the itch back I would bet the Seahawks do ask him if Pete decides to go upstairs himself. It's in the same are and he likes it here for the most part, I am sure the farther in the hills he can get the better, he seems to like small town feel.

D

DomeHawk

chris98251":3h21g88r said:
Peterson as an advisor for continuity, IF in the event he gets the itch back I would bet the Seahawks do ask him if Pete decides to go upstairs himself. It's in the same are and he likes it here for the most part, I am sure the farther in the hills he can get the better, he seems to like small town feel.

Knowing what we know about CP do you really think he has any interest in professional sports?

He has enough money to never work again if he wants to. He'll work but it won't be in a stressful environment.

Smart move in my opinion.

D

DomeHawk

Allweatherfan":3c5wfex1 said:
Shoot, really enjoyed his games vs Cristobal. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for chiming in J.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Not a huge CFB fan, more of a casual fan. But I love this guy and what he has brought to CFB. I'll never forget him beating Oklahoma with the Statue of Liberty by Zabransky (sp?) then one of his players proposing to his cheerleader g/f on the sideline. Great stuff.

IMH, and uneducated opinion, I think he's burned out, and like he said, needs to "recharge." Wouldn't surprise me if he stays in the advisory role, as that keeps him involved, but with less pressure, and he can be there for the Huskies, and Jimmy Lake.

I think the timing has to do with him wanting to help Jimmy Lake, the same way Pete Carroll helps his coaches advance. You've got to support them, and promote them, or else you just lose them to someone else and lose your opportunity to pass along your (Coach Peteresen's) most important asset, Integrity.

Integritry is why he was successful in recruiting. That, and caring about the young men he coaches outside of football. Saban just uses them, and uses them up. Coach Petersen prepares them for life outside of football.

One thing that I think is odd, is Danny O'Neil's take on this. "This is bad news for football, and we should be worried." I think he's reading more in to it than there is, as he seems to think that Coach Petersen is leaving strictly because of the turmoil in the NCAAF. I don't think that's it at all.

O'Neill also said "Don James just walked away," as if he was tired of coaching or something. I have no idea why he left, but I read that it was because of some of the people in charge of the football/sports program at Washington. Dunno.

I hope Chris Petersen sticks with his advisory role, and does his best to influence CFB in a positive way. Heaven knows the young men that play that game need it.

D

DomeHawk

KitsapGuy":325prs9m said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/710ESPNSeattle/status/1201946060689510400[/tweet]

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/731670/h ... walk-away/

I have thinking all year about losing Jimmy Lake. How can we do that I thought? There is only so much you can pay an assistant and he was already topped out. CP had an extension that kept him here so it seemed inevitable that we would lose him with all the national interest in him.

This resignation was a gift to the program. There are many things that played into CP's decision but I really do believe that his desire to have Jimmy Lake succeed him was part of it.

An article I read today mentioned that Chris Petersen was part of a dying breed of college coaches. Unfortunately, that is true.

D

DomeHawk

IndyHawk":18iclnsz said:
I just hope he knows that OC has got to go.

^^^^Yep

Music to my ears!

“We’re going to have a different style on offense. We’re going to have a different style on our special teams,” Lake told a crowd of reporters following the formal press conference. “We’re going to be aggressive. We’re going to attack, and this place is ready to roll.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... onference/

chris98251

Reaction score
If he is burned out yeah a recharge is possible, but it is also what he does, and retire, well he may be that type, but then again Coaching is what he does and has a passion for. The NFL doesn't have all the recruiting stuff, a staff and franchise like the Seahawks would be a great fit for his personality type. Pete and John upstairs and he can coach and tell them what he needs and they go get it, they like that personnel side of it.

Besides that isn't going to be soon for the Seahawks based on how Pete seems to look on the Sidelines.

D

DomeHawk

chris98251":1rvc6z8c said:
If he is burned out yeah a recharge is possible, but it is also what he does, and retire, well he may be that type, but then again Coaching is what he does and has a passion for. The NFL doesn't have all the recruiting stuff, a staff and franchise like the Seahawks would be a great fit for his personality type. Pete and John upstairs and he can coach and tell them what he needs and they go get it, they like that personnel side of it.

Besides that isn't going to be soon for the Seahawks based on how Pete seems to look on the Sidelines.

Well, I guess nothing is impossible but I would be totally shocked.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":1w9xt7h7 said:
Not a huge CFB fan, more of a casual fan. But I love this guy and what he has brought to CFB. I'll never forget him beating Oklahoma with the Statue of Liberty by Zabransky (sp?) then one of his players proposing to his cheerleader g/f on the sideline. Great stuff.

IMH, and uneducated opinion, I think he's burned out, and like he said, needs to "recharge." Wouldn't surprise me if he stays in the advisory role, as that keeps him involved, but with less pressure, and he can be there for the Huskies, and Jimmy Lake.

I think the timing has to do with him wanting to help Jimmy Lake, the same way Pete Carroll helps his coaches advance. You've got to support them, and promote them, or else you just lose them to someone else and lose your opportunity to pass along your (Coach Peteresen's) most important asset, Integrity.

Integritry is why he was successful in recruiting. That, and caring about the young men he coaches outside of football. Saban just uses them, and uses them up. Coach Petersen prepares them for life outside of football.

One thing that I think is odd, is Danny O'Neil's take on this. "This is bad news for football, and we should be worried." I think he's reading more in to it than there is, as he seems to think that Coach Petersen is leaving strictly because of the turmoil in the NCAAF. I don't think that's it at all.

O'Neill also said "Don James just walked away," as if he was tired of coaching or something. I have no idea why he left, but I read that it was because of some of the people in charge of the football/sports program at Washington. Dunno.

I hope Chris Petersen sticks with his advisory role, and does his best to influence CFB in a positive way. Heaven knows the young men that play that game need it.
He was pissed because he felt they got punished harder for less
than a school like USC so he just left.
https://www.nytimes.com/1993/08/23/sports/football

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Reading what he said today he seems really burned out, started last year.

D

DomeHawk

IndyHawk":1swcv2km said:
ivotuk":1swcv2km said:

He was pissed because he felt they got punished harder for less
than a school like USC so he just left.
https://www.nytimes.com/1993/08/23/sports/football

Had nothing to do with USC's sanctions that came 10 yrs later. He was pissed because the ridiculous Huskies sanctions amounted to giving potential recruits fruit baskets.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/580 ... ncaas-hand

D

DomeHawk

ivotuk":1dxbf85z said:

Here's what happened to Don James Ivo: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/580 ... ncaas-hand

bigskydoc

Reaction score
What if Jimmy Lake was considering a different head coaching position, and UW just really wanted to retain him? That may have influenced the timing, if not CPs underlying motives.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Saw a guy with a t-shirt at SeaTac right after the sanctions were announced on UW which as we know prompted Don James to walk away. The shirt read: "If you can't beat them, sanction them".

Osprey

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2qiivt4w said:
Saw a guy with a t-shirt at SeaTac right after the sanctions were announced on UW which as we know prompted Don James to walk away. The shirt read: "If you can't beat them, sanction them".
Think I saw that tactic just this morning :stirthepot:

ivotuk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":31uase48 said:

LOL! Thanks for that.

And thanks for those with info about Don James. I barely knew of him, but everything I heard was positive.

IMHO, CFB is in a sad state. They need to allow the Student Athlete, or anybody else, make money off the game, their likeness, or anything else they want, as long as they don't gamble.

I'm against paying them outright though, as a free college scholarship is a big deal, and it would put paying students at a huge disadvantage. And they might become resentful. I'm still paying off my student loans, but I was also a single parent with teenage daughter while going to school full time. Kids are $$$ :)

They also need to give them access to some kind of health insurance, or something similar to help them out if the injuries they sustained while playing for their college cause them problems down the road.

AND, they need to allow Student Athletes to switch to any school they want without penalty. This would force the recruiters towards legitimacy because if a Student gets to the College and finds it's nothing like they were told, then they can bail.

The NCAA has too much power, they need to be torn down, and rebuilt from the bottom up.

Anyway, I'm glad to see Coach Pete taking care of himself, and thus his family. He has a lot to be proud of. Especially with how he's helped out so many boys, to become men.

Ben Burr-Kerven LOVES him!

BOB, DAVE AND MOORE - December 4, 2019 - Hour 3

Seahawks linebacker Ben Burr-Kirven joins the show to talk about his Huskies winning another Apple Cup, learning from Bobby Wagner, and why Mike Leach's system doesn't work.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/category ... +and+Moore