CBS Sports: Seahawks 8th best in NFC after 1st wave of Free Agency

Rat

Reaction score

8. Seattle Seahawks
The Seahawks were able to retain Smith at quarterback, giving him another season as the starter with D.K. Metcalf and Tyler Lockett. Kenneth Walker is also returning as the lead back with a promising young offensive line. The 2022 draft class of Walker, Abraham Lucas, Charles Cross, Tariq Woolen and Coby Bryant gives Seattle reason for optimism with its 2023 draft picks in tow.

What is Seattle's ceiling with Smith? He was the most improved player in the league last season, but was average in the second half of the year. Can Smith improve in 2023 -- enough that Seattle doesn't consider drafting its future franchise quarterback?

The run defense also appears to have improved with the additions of Reed and Love, yet there appears to be a ceiling with this Seattle team. The 2023 draft -- along with the improvements of the 2022 draft class -- will play a major role if the Seahawks can make a return trip to the playoffs and compete with the top teams in the conference.

Ahead of us they have:

1. Eagles
2. Cowboys
3. 49ers
4. Lions
5. Giants
6. Saints
7. Vikings

Last edited:

sutz

Reaction score
So, middle of the pack by their evaluation? I can live with that for now. Don't want them ranking us too high. ;)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fair.

I'd like to see another major free agent acquisition before the draft, either at LB or the D-line. But while we have the draft capital to pull that off, we probably don't have the cap space to take on a big contract.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Personally, I like a lot of what we've done this offseason and it gives me hope for our upcoming season (which can be dangerous), but I really can't see any reason for us to be ranked higher until we see something more tactile such as pre season games.

CPHawk

Reaction score
So the cowboys just get put there no matter what? What have they done? If they are 2nd best, we are very close.

Last edited:

JPatera76

Reaction score
Eagles loose half their Defense and somehow they've had the BEST off season? I kindly disagree with the list.

1. Lions
2. 49ers
T 3. Bears
T 3. Seahawks
4. Giants
5. Saints
6. Vikings

Would be my list

ND

Mick063

Reaction score
Telling people what they want to hear. Nobody knows anything until the season unfolds.

The run game has to be consistently great for this team to be great. It really is that simple. Exhibit A: Look at the huge turnaround after Lynch arrived.

They HAVE to bring in another stud running back. I think it is more important than addressing any other position on the team.

OP
OP
Rat

Rat

Reaction score
Eagles loose half their Defense and somehow they've had the BEST off season? I kindly disagree with the list.

1. Lions
2. 49ers
T 3. Bears
T 3. Seahawks
4. Giants
5. Saints
6. Vikings

Would be my list

ND
It's not a rank of offseasons, it's a rank of where they stand after the bulk of free agency.

OP
OP
Rat

Rat

Reaction score
Fair.

I'd like to see another major free agent acquisition before the draft, either at LB or the D-line. But while we have the draft capital to pull that off, we probably don't have the cap space to take on a big contract.
I think people are anointing the Lions a little too quickly, but I can at least see an argument for the teams they have ranked 1-5. I think we're firmly ahead of the Saints, and probably the Vikings as well. After the top 5, I'd go: 6- Seahawks, 7- Vikings, 8- Packers, 9- Commanders, 10- Saints.

JPatera76

Reaction score
It's not a rank of offseasons, it's a rank of where they stand after the bulk of free agency.
ahh okay... well even with my miss wording no in hell do I feel the eagles are at the top still. LOL

AgentDib

Reaction score
Not sure if your link moved Rat but the linked article is about something entirely different; grading FA acquisitions in a vacuum and explicitly not grading team strength.

As far as team strength goes my tiers pre-draft would be:
1. 49ers, Eagles
2. Vikings, Cowboys
3. Seahawks, Lions
4. Giants
everybody else much lower

49ers and Eagles should be the clear favorites. They are both in Super Bowl windows and are prioritizing the present over the future. 49ers would be my pick for #1 with Aiyuk and Bosa on final rookie contract years, QB rookie contracts and the heavily backloaded contract for Hargrave. They are getting a lot of out of the compensatory system but the lack of draft capital may still eventually catch up to them soon, so they are going for it this season.

The Eagles did lose some key defensive pieces, but they got a couple of team friendly deals too with vets hoping for a runback at another Super Bowl try. That offense should be very good again and they are also getting great leverage out of a rookie QB contract.

Vikings and Cowboys belong in the next tier. Vikings are the team that is simultaneously a great pick for racking up wins in unimportant games, and a very poor pick at winning important games in primetime. Most Vikings fans I talk to are the first ones to make that argument and it's a fanbase that is not happy despite the recent winning.

I really don't like the Cowboys being ranked above the 49ers. The Cowboys' best move has been able to get out from under the Zeke contract but they had to spend the tag on Pollard which erases the surplus they got from him last year. IMO they've also taken a step back offensively prioritizing Mike McCarthy over Kellen Moore and unless you think Dak really is a top QB then I see regression instead of improvement this year.

The Seahawks should be 5th or 6th alongside the Lions, both clearly ahead of the Giants at #7 who just significantly overpaid Daniel Jones and franchised Barkley.

The Saints are getting way too much respect right now simply because some people think Derek Carr can help them dominate the NFC South which looks like a disaster right now. However, they've been kicking the cap can along for so long now that their overall roster isn't that great despite being in a window. Once the other NFC South teams add their draft picks the hype will die down a lot, as people realize that Carr is not the type of QB to excel without a good team around him.

OP
OP
Rat

Rat

Reaction score
Not sure if your link moved Rat but the linked article is about something entirely different; grading FA acquisitions in a vacuum and explicitly not grading team strength.
Thanks for letting me know, it should have the right link now. I'm not sure how that happened; I hadn't even read that other article.

OP
OP
Rat

Rat

Reaction score

1. Lions
2. 49ers
T 3. Bears
T 3. Seahawks
4. Giants
5. Saints
6. Vikings

Would be my list

ND
Apparently, I had the wrong article linked, and that one was grading strictly free agency, so that was on me lol. Should be fixed now.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
John is going to draft nothing but freaky Seahawk beasts, he has lots of power there, I think we're going to put the NFL on notice by the midway point we'll be firing.

N3putts@

Reaction score
The cowboys could very well be the top team in the NFC with shoring up the corner position opposite Diggs with the acquisition of Stephon Gilmore. Maybe one the best secondaries in the league. Also with Michael Gallop in year two of his recovery they added Brandin Cooks at WR.

JPPT1974

Reaction score
Media loves the Cowboys it seems. They are the media darlings. Too bad for the rest of the teams in particular the Hawks.

Fade

Reaction score
Media loves the Cowboys it seems. They are the media darlings. Too bad for the rest of the teams in particular the Hawks.
The Cowboys are going to Cowboy. Quinn's defense will get them to the playoffs. But Dak will do his best Kirk Cousins impression when they are in the Divisional Round.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I think that you could make the case for Seattle being as high as 5 on that list.