Brock Huard: QBs Completion % on the move

ivotuk

Reaction score
Completion percentage for College QBs when Scrambling: (Huard said "Penix doesn't take many sacks because he throws the ball away, but it's still a low number.")

Michael Penix 23%

Drake Maye 36%

Caleb Williams 41%

Jayden Daniels 46%

Bo Nix 58%

JJ McCarthy 71%

12forlife

Reaction score
So he plays smarter.
No he doesn't scramble well due to his injuries. Just another red flag. If the play isn't there, then h just ditches the play which sometimes is the best play, but not having the ability to scramble or throw on the move is a major red flag? Dude literally had 8 yards rushing this season? That means NFL defenses will know alexactly where he will be, so now you just have opposing defenses pinning their ears back. Greeeeaat more of the same.

Chevy

Reaction score
That stat is a very telling stat. I know Brock wasn't high on JJ about a month ago, but he obviously did a bit of a deep dive on the QBs. It will be interesting to see if JJ, come draft day, is the 3rd QB taken in the draft.

chris98251

Reaction score
No he doesn't scramble well due to his injuries. Just another red flag. If the play isn't there, then h just ditches the play which sometimes is the best play, but not having the ability to scramble or throw on the move is a major red flag? Dude literally had 8 yards rushing this season? That means NFL defenses will know alexactly where he will be, so now you just have opposing defenses pinning their ears back. Greeeeaat more of the same.
If he didn't scramble well his sacks would be higher, secondly I seen him run, he doesn't have a problem, the issue is possible future injuries, also his release is fast to anywhere so he gets the ball off fast.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Doesn't matter if NFL defenses know where you are at if you get the ball out quickly. Brady averaged 55 yds rushing a season. So did Manning. They both seemed to do okay when defenses knew where they were at.

You shouldn't be drafting Penix to be a mobile QB. You should be drafting him with the intention of being a pocket passer and building around his arm.

Boycie

Reaction score
Completion percentage for College QBs when Scrambling: (Huard said "Penix doesn't take many sacks because he throws the ball away, but it's still a low number.")

Michael Penix 23%

Drake Maye 36%

Caleb Williams 41%

Jayden Daniels 46%

Bo Nix 58%

JJ McCarthy 71%
Was there a minimum number of snaps for these %s Ivo? I know the concern with JJ is that he wasn't asked to do as much as some of the other guys because of the scheme and that % could be skewed due to the low number of times he had to scramble.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
We could probably dig into which offenses are designed to have the QB throw on the run. I don't recall Washington running such plays.

Also, how many yards in the air? Lot of layers we can dig into here

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Was there a minimum number of snaps for these %s Ivo? I know the concern with JJ is that he wasn't asked to do as much as some of the other guys because of the scheme and that % could be skewed due to the low number of times he had to scramble.
It was on one of the podcasts, I'll see if I can track it down later. I don't think there was a minimum number of passes.

12forlife

Reaction score
If he didn't scramble well his sacks would be higher, secondly I seen him run, he doesn't have a problem, the issue is possible future injuries, also his release is fast to anywhere so he gets the ball off fast.
Uhm yes behind the top rated Oline in college football. Also there wasn't much for pass rushers in the pac12. If he goes to a team with an average or less in the NFL, I dont see him making a full season he is to much like Tua & Burrow. Seriously you can't defend only having 8 yards rushing. That leads me to believe he isn't able to scramble for a 1st down when needed?

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Uhm yes behind the top rated Oline in college football. Also there wasn't much for pass rushers in the pac12. If he goes to a team with an average or less in the NFL, I dont see him making a full season he is to much like Tua & Burrow. Seriously you can't defend only having 8 yards rushing. That leads me to believe he isn't able to scramble for a 1st down when needed?
I suggest you go watch his tape at Indiana. He has wheels and can roll. He chooses not to, to save his body.

12forlife

Reaction score
I suggest you go watch his tape at Indiana. He has wheels and can roll. He chooses not to, to save his body.
Uhm wasn't like the last 8 UW games close down to the wire games? You should have seen some sign he can scramble "if needed" at any point,in any of those games.
Why would I go back and watch what he "was" capable of doing 3yrs ago, before his knees went through the grinder? He will be a 24yr old rookie, with major knee concerns?

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Was looking at Huskies stats for 2023 to see how much they threw/ran the ball, and time of possession, interesting numbers for Grubb's offense.

391 attempts rushing
555 attempts passing

Time of Possession: 30:09

So even though they threw the ball 70% of the time, they still won TOP. Grubbs said they threw the ball a lot because they had the QB and receivers to do so. "NFL caliber receivers"

Chawker

Reaction score
We just spent 12.7 million on Geno and just like every year scene Wilson was traded off, here we are talking about drafting a QB in the first round. Do you kinda see the big picture here ?

Who gives a rats ass about round 1 QBs, or round two. Good luck with your fantasy.

12forlife

Reaction score
I think your missing something here. '20 & '21 drafts didn't have little of nothing to offer as far as QBOTF. So I'm honestly glad we didn't reach for crap prospects. Last draft '23 had some interesting prospects, again I'm glad we didn't settle for Levis. This year's draft is a completely different monster. There are 6-9 potential NFL starters. They are rookies so it is all "potential", but they do show the traits if brought into the right system, with supporting cast could be starters in the NFL.
Them paying Geno $12.7 does nothin but prove he is possibly our bridge QB, or trade bait imo?

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Uhm wasn't like the last 8 UW games close down to the wire games? You should have seen some sign he can scramble "if needed" at any point,in any of those games.
Why would I go back and watch what he "was" capable of doing 3yrs ago, before his knees went through the grinder? He will be a 24yr old rookie, with major knee concerns?
As much as I like the guy MP9, I can't for one minute pretend that you aren't bringing up an excellent point.

12forlife

Reaction score
As much as I like the guy MP9, I can't for one minute pretend that you aren't bringing up an excellent point.
I dont have anything personally against Penix. We're talking about a league full of elite athletes, he's not jumping college conferences, he is going to the league where everyone is big or fast or both. If he couldn't scramble in the pac 12, he isn't running in the NFL. Which is to bad cause if he was able to escape pressure / scramble we would be talking Penix with the top 3 QB's. His age wouldn't be a factor if not for the injuries imo?

Chevy

Reaction score
As of today, it seems like JJ is QB #4. We could draft him with a bit of a trade up. He has the teamleader hard working mentality that will help his development. Had he stayed another year in school, he may have very well been QB #1 next year. So if we can trade up and draft him, we would be drafting him at a discount.

Latest posts