Bobby Wagner applied a huge hit Monday night

knownone

Reaction score
I'm not sure a 250-pound linebacker in pads blindsiding a protestor is an intelligent move from a liability perspective. Bobby lowered his shoulder into that guy, FFS. He wasn't trying to tackle, restrain, or slow him down. He's lucky that guy didn't sustain any serious injuries because I have a hard time seeing how he could argue self-defense here, given the footage available.

It was funny. But incredibly dumb.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I loved it, reminded me of Mike Curtis in a game that I was watching live when it happened:

Spohawks

Reaction score
Like Bobby said, he didn’t know what additional hazards this guy would present.

Any of Those laws and feelings apply as you walk down the streets as well, there is zero law change.

As I mentioned, when it comes to self defence, you must use minimum required measures to off set the threat.

I think the guy planned on getting tackled, thats why he was close to the team. Dbag move forsure, but he is getting paid.

This will be settled but one main point if it went to court is Bobby left the side line to attack. He was under no obligation or need to do so...or the other 52 guys would have too.

hoxrox

Reaction score
All these two idiots got was a citation? They should be banned for life. Too bad Bobby's hit didn't cause more serious injuries...

RiverDog

Reaction score
Any of Those laws and feelings apply as you walk down the streets as well, there is zero law change.

As I mentioned, when it comes to self defence, you must use minimum required measures to off set the threat.

I think the guy planned on getting tackled, thats why he was close to the team. Dbag move forsure, but he is getting paid.

This will be settled but one main point if it went to court is Bobby left the side line to attack. He was under no obligation or need to do so...or the other 52 guys would have too.
I completely disagree. Any of you guys remember the Monica Seles incident where a crazed fan came out of the stands and stabbed her? Who knows what that guy's intentions were or what was in that gas. Bobby saw a man running from security and made a citizen's arrest. He did not use excessive force, it was just the one blow to knock him off his feet and let security do their jobs. Indeed, the man got up uninjured. Bobby deserves a commendation.

If it ever did get to trial, I'd love to be in the jury box. Of course, the prosecution would probably disqualify me when they saw me wearing a Seahawks #54 into the courtroom.

knownone

Reaction score
Let's play around with this logic. If this happened on a baseball field, and a player hit the protestor with a bat, is that justifiable force? What if a police officer shot him? As Bobby said, we don't know what that man had in his pockets. Thus, all levels of force must be reasonable in a world of unknowns devoid of context.

Sporting events are not sacred locations that are above the law. What Bobby did is almost textbook battery. And it doesn't help that he said many players want to do what he did in his press conference. Here, he has a stated motive and a dubious claim of self-defense, considering of the 200 or so people on the field, only he and another player felt the need to intervene. So he's lucky this guy didn't suffer serious injuries because if he did, the odds are against Bobby in court.

balakoth

Reaction score
This protester has filed a police report against Wagner now.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Let's play around with this logic. If this happened on a baseball field, and a player hit the protestor with a bat, is that justifiable force? What if a police officer shot him? As Bobby said, we don't know what that man had in his pockets. Thus, all levels of force must be reasonable in a world of unknowns devoid of context.

The use of a baseball bat, gun, or nearly any other weapon IMO would have been excessive. But that's not what happened.
Sporting events are not sacred locations that are above the law. What Bobby did is almost textbook battery. And it doesn't help that he said many players want to do what he did in his press conference. Here, he has a stated motive and a dubious claim of self-defense, considering of the 200 or so people on the field, only he and another player felt the need to intervene. So he's lucky this guy didn't suffer serious injuries because if he did, the odds are against Bobby in court.

Textbook battery? Here's the first sentence in what Merriam-Webster defines as battery:

Definition of battery 1a the act of beating someone or something with successive blows.

Successive blows. Had Bobby stood there and beat him repeatedly, then and only then would his actions fit the definition of battery. But that's not what happened. Bobby hit him with one singular action that lasted a split second. Assault, maybe, had the circumstances been different. But not battery.

Had Bobby severely injured the offender, then yes, I agree with you that he could be in some serious trouble as one could argue that he used excessive force. But again, that's not what happened. The man clearly did not suffer any kind of serious injury.

Last edited:

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

Bobby saw a security staff injured. This protester meanwhile is running around with a burning incendiary device. It’s a claim to self defense to stop this from getting worse, which he effectively did.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Turn this around and ask what message the courts will be sending to society if they let Bobby slide.

A person who has smoke coming from them is perfectly fine to be attacked. Those anti smokers people would love this.

"Bobby did it, why not me. That scumbag was 5 feet away and harming me with cancer and I have no clue what else dangerous he had in his pockets".

This isn't the first time a player did this, but it will be the last. Every league will have a policy of not attacking fans.

Shoot, if the NFL doesn't have a policy on this, the fan could sue the NFL as well.

NoChops

Reaction score
Why don't you get tickets to the M's game tomorrow and jump the fence. See what happens. Security can tackle the intruder, but players can't defend themselves? Man, vaginas are growing big around here.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Turn this around and ask what message the courts will be sending to society if they let Bobby slide.

A person who has smoke coming from them is perfectly fine to be attacked. Those anti smokers people would love this. "Bobby did it, why not me. That scumbag was 5 feet away and harming me with cancer and I have no clue what else dangerous he had in his pockets".

Stop being so absurd with your false equivalencies! Bobby saw a person who was obviously not authorized to be on the playing field. He saw uniformed security officers in pursuit of him. He acted as a citizen making a citizen's arrest.

Do you know why we have to take our shoes off at airport security? Does anyone besides me remember Richard Reid, the shoe bomber who shortly after 9/11 tried to light an explosive hidden in his shoes on an airliner that was in flight? Do you remember who it was that intervened and prevented an explosion? It was ordinary passengers, along with airline crew not trained in police tactics, who subdued and restrained him.

Passengers and crew members overpowered Reid, using seat belts and their own belts to strap him to his seat, after he futilely tried to light a fuse protruding from one of his ankle-high hiking boots.

Bobby's actions are very similar, ordinary citizens taking matters into their own hands when law enforcement is not available or needs assistance. Like I said, Bobby should receive some sort of commendation.

Last edited:

Spohawks

Reaction score
Has Bobby claimed citizens arrest? He keeps running his mouth about reasons why he did what he did...but has he mentioned citizens arrest?

I haven't seen it and I am gussing the requirements in that state were not met to make one.

I hear a lot of feelings, emotions and blockhead generalizations on what level of abuse that guy deserves, but very little quoting of the law.

I stand by my "Bobby loses" post but only time and the judge will tell.

knownone

Reaction score
Bobby saw a security staff injured. This protester meanwhile is running around with a burning incendiary device. It’s a claim to self defense to stop this from getting worse, which he effectively did.
One security guard got hurt. There are five within 20 feet of the guy before Bobby blindsides him. And the protestor had a fricken hand-held smoke bomb in an open-air arena, he poses about as much risk as someone with a zippo at a rock concert. Like, we used to use those all the time at Sounders games, and never once did anyone feel threatened by the sight of one.

NoChops

Reaction score
Shame you have no care for the security guard who might have a life changing accident.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Has Bobby claimed citizens arrest? He keeps running his mouth about reasons why he did what he did...but has he mentioned citizens arrest?

I haven't seen it and I am gussing the requirements in that state were not met to make one.

I hear a lot of feelings, emotions and blockhead generalizations on what level of abuse that guy deserves, but very little quoting of the law.

I stand by my "Bobby loses" post but only time and the judge will tell.
I didn't say anything about what Bobby claimed or didn't claim. I simply rendered an opinion, that his actions were those of a concerned citizen protecting himself and the public from an individual that was obviously engaged in a criminal act.

This isn't a quoting of the law, but it's a little more than a "blockhead generalization" by which you are characterizing my opinion:

It is highly unlikely that Wagner will face any criminal charges for simple or aggravated assault as the result of his actions. The fan, however, will likely face charges for criminal trespass, and disorderly conduct. In addition, authorities could possible charge him with causing or risk a catastrophe, a felony, as his actions could have created a mass evacuation if the substance (pink smoke) was thought to contain some harmful substance; this felony charge is unlikely.

Here, it is clear that Wagner intended to strike or hit the trespassing fan. Despite this conduct, however, the law will also look at his intent. It is clear from his actions that Wagner was attempting to stop the fan from escaping police and possibly harming players, staff or other fans in the arena. He therefore has a very strong argument for self defense.

The protester was breaking the law when he was "assaulted", and the law has very little sympathy for victims that were engaged in criminal activity when they suffered their injuries.

Last edited: