Bevell is fired (hypothetically speaking)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2eb7z88i said:
I didn't insinuate that it's what got them the Super Bowl win, I used them as a legitimate example that it wasn't some "this season is lost" chicken running around with its head cut off pit of despair like you're painting it out to be for us should we get rid of The Amazing Bevell®.

Continue perceiving what you want to perceive, however. :roll:

Damn you sold me. Lets fire Bevell tomorrow and let Russ split OC duties with Carroll's sons. I mean, it worked* for the Ravens!

* - it actually had nothing to do with why they won the Super Bowl, but neat.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":32x8l28k said:
Damn you sold me. Lets fire Bevell tomorrow and let Russ split OC duties with Carroll's sons. I mean, it worked* for the Ravens!

* - it actually had nothing to do with why they won the Super Bowl, but neat.
Well if it had NOTHING to do with them winning the Super Bowl, then stop being so attached to Bevell since we can replace him with any other person on the planet and it won't affect our Super Bowl chances. Apparently.

I seriously wonder what goes on in the gray matter of some people...

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":2tcw3ata said:
What is that you want to see a new OC doing? I don't blame DB half as much as most people but I am just wondering, what is it specifically, that you want to see done differently?
DB is a limited OC. He can come up with some creative packages, and he is great at coming up with an overall game plan. Bevell's main issue is that in game is an awful in game coordinator. He is bad at making in game adjustments, and managing the game clock on offense. He takes forever to get the play in and he often tries to pound a square peg into a round hole. A good example of the square peg into a round hole was the FB draw that was called against TB. Even with a healthy line it has been a low percentage play in the Bevell era for short yardage situations. He then tried running it behind a lineman was physically being ran over all game. This is the kind of foolishness that we have to put up with every week with Bevell.

Sometimes the fundamental design of the plays are good, but the personnel he calls on to execute the play is head scratching. A good example of this is the last play of the the infamous superbowl against the Patriots. I don't think passing it was a bad idea per say, I just think calling on a receiver that was infamous for running poor routes, executing a play into the middle of the end-zone was foolish. If Baldwin had been the receiver called on I do not think it would have been an interception, and he would have either caught it short of the end-zone or been an incomplete pass.

Bevell's judgement calls are bad, often times I'm utterly confused at the plays we are running at the times we are running it. Read option with a RW (few weeks back) with two injured legs is not fooling anyone. Every play has a time and a place, and it is up to the discretion of the play-caller to recognize which play is best for any given circumstances so that he can stack the deck in the offenses favor. Can we honestly say that Bevell does this? I can't. He does not understand situational football and match ups while he is actually calling the plays in game. I think he would be great as a consultant of some sort, but as an OC he is a problem for our offense.

Osprey

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1jd0wm0p said:
Alternately, I'd be satisfied if he just pulled his head out of his back end and quit outsmarting himself.

Text book definition of a fatal flaw. Doesn't mean he will lose every game for you, but when push comes to shove and the OC is the determining factor...

nash72

Reaction score
Ambrose83":57e5kjhi said:
... I'd love for bevell gone and the talent we have to be maximized... You won't know how bad it was till he's gone....

This a bazillion times over.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I'd like to see Lane Kiffin, who has proven he can run an offense under a dominant personality who emphasizes defense (Nick Saban). My biggest reason for this is that I have seen Alabama become a more dynamic team over the past few years, without losing their identity.

I get it's fun to hate Kiffin, but the guy was born to be an OC. It'd be fun to see what he could do with the offensive playmakers we have.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
One thing I want to point out in Bevell's favor, is that empty set isn't destroying us.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_ ... -empty-set

Wilson actually has great success out of that look. The "no RB in the formation so we're predictable" is mostly a fallacy that was spread by people who weren't looking at his actual stats.

There are other things I agree on from the Bevell critics, but that's not one of them.

RCATES

Reaction score
My main issue with DB is his inability to adjust when things aren't working. I remember when this team would struggle in the first half and come out of half-time on fire after adjustments were made. What the hell happened?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ambrose83":2lrr0t3m said:
For the life of me I can't see how any of you can defend him... It's crazy at this point.... The bills made a switch and it turned out so much better... I'd love for bevell gone and the talent we have to be maximized... You won't know how bad it was till he's gone....

The bills are 6-5 and have lost their last 3 of 5 games. How is this a glowing endorsement for changing an OC mid season?

Teams who stink fire coordinators and coaches, not teams that have the #2 seed in their conference.

Threedee

Reaction score
I'd like to see an OC that doesn't lose super bowls. Normally, gross negligence is grounds for firing in and of itself.

nash72

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ffmo2dk said:
Teams who stink fire coordinators and coaches, not teams that have the #2 seed in their conference.

I dont know. The Ravens did it before and won the Supetbowl. They did it again this season and guess who's leading the AFC North?

xgeoff

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":10ti863p said:
Ambrose83":10ti863p said:
For the life of me I can't see how any of you can defend him... It's crazy at this point.... The bills made a switch and it turned out so much better... I'd love for bevell gone and the talent we have to be maximized... You won't know how bad it was till he's gone....

The Bills are dead last in passing offense and rank 1st overall running the football. A lot of that has to do with Tyrod Taylor, but anyway.. this notion that the OC switch saved their season is hilarious.

The Bills turned around their season because the schedule got a lot softer for them. Sure there was probably a spark from the firing. But you can also say they woke up when they started 0-2 and a coach got fired.

But anyway, the stretch of games that came after the firing:

- vs. Arizona in a 10AM kick.
- at New England with a 3rd string rookie QB
- at Los Angeles
- vs. San Francisco.. again at 10AM

Then they played Miami, NE and Seattle and lost all 3. Should they fire the OC again?

This is very misleading. The OC is about scoring points. Winning games is a team effort. Since the Bills fired their OC they have scored 25 or more points a game in 7 out of 9 games. This includes 30 points on the Rams and 33 on the Cards. How much did the Seahawks put up on those two teams? A combined 9 points. Let that sink in. 9 points.

The Bills are ranked 8th in scoring in the NFL. 8th. And scoring is actually more important than yards.

I'm not calling for Bevell to be fired, and nothing has *saved* the season for the Bills. They're 6-5. They may not even make the playoffs. But if you watched the Bills move the ball up and down the field against the Seahawks, you would know that their OC knows what he's doing.

I just hate seeing trash information like this put out.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
nash72":1n8xhy2p said:
Sgt. Largent":1n8xhy2p said:

I dont know. The Ravens did it before and won the Supetbowl. They did it again this season and guess who's leading the AFC North?

Yeah after they lost 4 in a row.

Believe me, if we ever have a bad season or go through a prolonged losing streak people will lose their jobs. That's when you fire coordinators.

So again, who changed coordinators after going 7-3-1? You guys keep bring up bad examples of teams that weren't winning, not teams that ARE winning.

"We're 7-3-1, got the 2nd seed, winning our division by three games and did it all with a broken O-line, no RB's and a gimpy QB.........I know, LET'S FIRE GUYS!"

You can't make this kind of nonsense up.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":15p25nkr said:
storm74":15p25nkr said:
I will be so excited when we are in the superbowl on the one down by 4 with time for one play left and instead of a slant to our 4th receiver, Bevell dials up a fullback dive to Tukuafu as Graham is running free in the endzone.
Hmmm! I have a feeling Dallas will represent the NFC this year. Too many question marks with Sea O this late in the season.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk
Not with the 22nd ranked defense they won't. Don't be fooled by their record,
They have had the easiest strength of schedule in the entire NFL so far.

Crizilla

Reaction score
hawkfan68":4rbj6oee said:
Bevell is the OC and Cable is the assistant HC/OL coach. Cable has a higher title than Bevell. IMO, Cable is more of the problem than Bevell. It's Cable's area of focus that is weakest part of the team.

Agreed. Pete had great success before coming here, Bevell had success before coming here, Cable? not so much. In most cases you look at a 7-3-1 team you would say everything is fine, but 2 of our losses and the tie have been complete and utter meltdowns by the o-line. Match ups, adjustments, etc just aren't there. Can't remember a team so night and day on offense and STILL be a title contender like this one....

sdog1981

Reaction score
Crizilla":3p3kwe84 said:
hawkfan68":3p3kwe84 said:
Bevell is the OC and Cable is the assistant HC/OL coach. Cable has a higher title than Bevell. IMO, Cable is more of the problem than Bevell. It's Cable's area of focus that is weakest part of the team.

Agreed. Pete had great success before coming here, Bevell had success before coming here, Cable? not so much. In most cases you look at a 7-3-1 team you would say everything is fine, but 2 of our losses and the tie have been complete and utter meltdowns by the o-line. Match ups, adjustments, etc just aren't there. Can't remember a team so night and day on offense and STILL be a title contender like this one....

Well when the Seahawks have a defense about to accomplish something that has not been done since the 1950's that it's hard for people to understand how much the offense is holding the team back.

Largent80

Reaction score
Threedee":kjth7vc6 said:
I'd like to see an OC that doesn't lose super bowls. Normally, gross negligence is grounds for firing in and of itself.

Ignorance of the highest level. Spoken by a poster that joined 12 days after the superbowl win. And of course didn't attribute the loss of Jeremy Lane to the defenses lapse in the 2nd half that led to the comeback.

And....Of course this poster didn't know that Browner (former Seahawk) knew what play was coming and directed the CB to the spot of the interception.

The only problem I have with that play is the receiver of the ill fated pass.

Crizilla

Reaction score
sdog1981":258wmx5v said:
Crizilla":258wmx5v said:
hawkfan68":258wmx5v said:

Well when the Seahawks have a defense about to accomplish something that has not been done since the 1950's that it's hard for people to understand how much the offense is holding the team back.

and that's why

"i'm thankful"

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":zz5omk6h said:
Threedee":zz5omk6h said:

Ignorance of the highest level. Spoken by a poster that joined 12 days after the superbowl.

Bevell: "Hey Pete, what should we do here, run Beast Mode again?"

Pete: "NO, that's what they're expecting, let's get cute and run a slant!"

.Net Members: "OMG FIRE BEVELL!!!"