Bennett Re-signed with Seahawks 4 years 28.5mil!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3kuckvjw said:
The other best part of that signing is the Bennett trying to get McDaniel and McDonald to stay.

That would be a coup if we could keep our DL together (though I still will miss seeing Red out there).

Not sure how we could afford that but it would be sweet if we could.
Like Sherman did for him? This just gets better and better.. .

sutz

Reaction score
Atradees":20tmr109 said:
One more pass rusher....Chris Clemons and we have a fullhouse.(restructure?)

140310_michael_bennett_lg.jpg

Someone should photoshop that so the confetti is all dollar bills. :laugh:

Tokadub

Reaction score
So originally I thought we would lose Bennett, but then when we cut Red Bryant and the cap space got increased to 133 million I realized that we could potentially keep both Bennett and Tate which would be the best case scenario if we want to repeat for another Super Bowl.

I think this was a great move for the Seahawks. I've said all along that I think we should only pay Bennett 6 million a year max or let him walk. However, the 6 million per year figure was mainly due to what would happen NEXT year when we have to pay Wilson, try to keep Sherman etc.

I'm not sure if I ever posted it before I think I may have (a lot of late night drunken rants involving Bennett) but front loading Bennett's contract here was brilliant although a bit risky if he gets injured and 16 million guaranteed seems pretty high to me but I'm sure that's the least he would sign for. So it was a calculated risk and I think it's one that will pay off.

Analysis of the contract structure (although this may be obvious):

2014: Pay him 10 million to keep him here we had to give him a VERY good reason not to leave. 10 million a year is probably the max he was gonna get in one year from any sane team. So we matched that figure up front because we had some spare room for specifically 2014 after we released Red Bryant.

Paying Bennett 10 million this year in my mind pretty much shows that we won't be doing anything with Richard Sherman's extension this off season.

2015: 6 million per year, the magic 6 million number I have been saying ever since the Michael Bennett discussions began this off season. 6 million/year is what Bennett is truly worth to the Seahawks, anything more than that and we would have had to gut the team. Paying him 6 million allows us to have the best chance to win in 2015 while still keeping our core group together.

I still think we may have to cut at least one key player in 2015 once we pay Russell, not sure who but I'm leaning towards Lynch (especially if Christine Michael as good as I think he could be) or Sherman at the moment.

2016: This season we pay Bennett 5 million dollars assuming he can play at a high level still, assuming most or all of his guaranteed money is in the first 2 seasons so in 2016 we will either cut him if he's not playing well, or ideally this is our bargain year where we get him for a deal less than what I consider his true worth of 6/million year.

Paying him only 5 million dollars will be very helpful for Russell Wilson's contract and possibly Sherman, Earl Thomas, etc who will likely make more in 2016 than they did in 2015.

2017: In 2017 we would be paying him 7.5 million which once again I think is more than he's worth. This is the most likely time we would release him, BUT if he does produce for us at a high level for the 3 previous seasons this 7.5 million will be looking pretty good to him as he will be like 32 years old, and probably won't be finding a better offer at that point.

Conclusion: This was pretty much the perfect deal to keep Bennett. Pay him 10 million up front to keep him from leaving. And then cut it back to my 6 million/year projection which seemed like the max we could go once we pay Wilson.

This contract is slightly risky in that 16 million is guaranteed, but I think it's a good risk as long as he stays healthy. The possibility of that 4th season with 7.5 million dollars should be enough incentive to keep him playing well for his duration here.

I think Bennett could of made more than 7.125 million per year on average if he had gone to another team. But given the huge 16 million guarantee, and the fact that he may only have 1 or 2 (hopefully 3 or 4) good seasons left in him, I think we did just enough to keep him around for a few more Super Bowl runs.

Only thing I'm wondering now is who are we gonna cut THIS season due to paying him 10 million.

I'm pretty dang sure we would cut McQuistan regardless of what else happened this offseason. I think we may be losing Giacomini now? Not really sure what will happen exactly, but we're gonna need to release a player or two or restructure guys like Unger, Okung, maybe even Miller although the saving probably wouldn't be too huge with him.

Now if we can just keep Golden Tate who in my opinion is even more important than Bennett for us moving forward I think we'll be in great shape.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Bennett>Tate, much much easier to get similar talent/production from our #32 or #64 pick at WR than it would be with DL this season. Just have a 6'3 220lb WR who has reasonably reliable hands will change this offense in the Red Zone where we seemed to really struggle scoring TD's this year.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I just want to say I'm happy to be so wrong on Bennett. I thought he was all about the money and looking to sign with the biggest bidder. I also thought it'd take $10m/year to sign him. Wrong about that too.

Kudos to Pete and John who did an awesome job on this one, but the players deserve a lot of credit. They help create the winning atmosphere that gets players wanting to return to Seattle on a lesser contract. As a Seahawks fan and PNW resident, I never thought I'd see that happen. :thirishdrinkers:

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":prmbde2s said:
Aros":prmbde2s said:
RE-PETE!!
Screw that, we're gonna THREE-PETE!!

:th2thumbs:

Wrote a plea on .net before heading to work (posted in the now locked thread Come on Michael, slam that door tomorrow and say, "I'm a Hawk!" ) I'm ecstatic to get home and find out this great news after posting that earlier today. I think it's safe to say we're all (pleasantly) surprised how this worked out.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I expect Bennett to fill in for emotional leader of D in Red's place. We saw glimpses of it in his first year, but I really expect him to take of this year.

NYCoug

Reaction score
It's funny, I started a post yesterday basically saying how Michael Bennett was the one guy I absolutely thought the Seahawks had to have in Free Agency last year. I thought the "stars were aligning" for a great return to the Pacific Northwest, after Bennett never should have been jettisoned out of town in the first place back when Ruskell was in charge. Sometimes you don't get second chances like that, c'est la vie, and all that jazz. Was basically going to say how if you would have told me last year that the Seahawks would sign Bennett for a year, he'd help bring us a ring, but then leave the following season, I'd be all for it...

Well, I forgot to actually send the post, and got sidetracked. Then, before I got back to my computer yesterday, I get texts from JonRud and SeaTown81 telling me that Bennett's signed! So here I am, a day later, typing this post instead. In the words of Socrates, I know that I know nothing. This front office somehow always finds a way to outdo themselves. Just when you think they've conquered all by winning the Super Bowl, something we all would be happy with if it were their final act, they come out and get a guy like Michael Bennett signed long term, at an affordable rate especially when it comes to keeping the even bigger stars in town like Wilson, Earl, and Sherm. Beautiful.

Like the rest of you, I've re-watched the Super Bowl 238482347 times on NFL Game Rewind. One of the things that's caught my eye upon re-watching is how incredibly active Michael Bennett is. He's consistently making or around tackles being made 10 yards down the field. I forget what point in the game it is, but there's a point where the Broncos throw a screen to the right side. Bennett takes off and tracks the receiver down 10 yards later and makes the tackle from behind. That's rare stuff from guys on the DLine and it's one of the reasons so many people (myself included) loved Sheldon Richardson coming out of the draft last year.

It would've been tough replacing this guy, Michael Sinclair 2.0, but PC/JS just keep getting the job done! It's a big day for the Seattle Seahawks! The rich just keep on gettin richer!

Tical21

Reaction score
I didn't want to comment yesterday. I wanted to hide this deep, deep in the thread, and still get it on record. I don't love this. I think it means we can't afford Sherman, and my gut tells me he Bennett isn't going to be as good in the future as he was in 2014. I just want to be on the record as saying that I think we're going to regret this signing.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Tical21":2f2ztu49 said:
I didn't want to comment yesterday. I wanted to hide this deep, deep in the thread, and still get it on record. I don't love this. I think it means we can't afford Sherman, and my gut tells me he Bennett isn't going to be as good in the future as he was in 2014. I just want to be on the record as saying that I think we're going to regret this signing.

After the Hawks won the super bowl, your reaction was "I don't like this one bit...this sets the bar way too high for next season..." wasn't it?

It's ok to just enjoy the ride.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":ghe90pgj said:
Tical21":ghe90pgj said:

After the Hawks won the super bowl, your reaction was "I don't like this one bit...this sets the bar way too high for next season..." wasn't it?

It's ok to just enjoy the ride.

HAHAHA. PERFECT.

Cartire

Reaction score
Tical21":3ebw9kpk said:

Poor Tical, if only you could run a team of your own, you would have a bonified dynasty. The NFL doesn't know what it's missing.