Bengals vs Bills

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I don't honestly know much about it. I lost my dad back in April, and they did cpr on him for several minutes (congestive heart failure) I just can't even imagine seeing that in person like that family did, and his teammates and coaches.
The longer it goes, it doesn't feel like good news. But again, I know little to nothing about these things. Other than required AED/CPR training we take at work.
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss

RiverDog

Reaction score
Goodell has said game will not be played this week. Per cowherd
What I'd like to see them do is play their regularly scheduled games this week, move the playoffs for both conferences back a week, then allow for the completion of the Bills-Bengals game on 1/15. It would eliminate the bye week prior to the Super Bowl.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I haven’t looked at any news yet today.

Has there been any official updates from the hospital, family, or NFL?

Not on his condition, other than he is alive.

However, espn Is reporting that there will be no makeup game between these two this week.

kidhawk

Reaction score
What I'd like to see them do is play their regularly scheduled games this week, move the playoffs for both conferences back a week, then allow for the completion of the Bills-Bengals game on 1/15. It would eliminate the bye week prior to the Super Bowl.

I would agree that this seems the logical move, but I'd go a step further and say that if after this week, this game doesn't affect the seeding of either team, then just either call it a tie or don't count it at all and move on with the post season. No reason to make up the game if it doesn't mean anything.

Also, to add, the NFL statement saying that they wouldn't play this week said that he is still in critical condition. I'd hoped for better news, but will keep hoping for a full recovery.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I don't honestly know much about it. I lost my dad back in April, and they did cpr on him for several minutes (congestive heart failure) I just can't even imagine seeing that in person like that family did, and his teammates and coaches.
The longer it goes, it doesn't feel like good news. But again, I know little to nothing about these things. Other than required AED/CPR training we take at work.
My condolences.

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
A good explanation of what happened

He keeps repeating that Hamlin's collapse didn't have anything to do with vaccinations. How could he possibly know that with any kind of certainty? It doesn't matter how many medical degrees he has, he's never examined Hamlin before in his life. He wasn't the field last night with Hamlin, he wasn't at the hospital with him. The purpose of this video, obviously, is primarily to deflect speculation about a possible vaccination connection. To provide plausible deniability.

OP
OP
M

Mizak

Reaction score
He keeps repeating that Hamlin's collapse didn't have anything to do with vaccinations. How could he possibly know that with any kind of certainty? It doesn't matter how many medical degrees he has, he's never examined Hamlin before in his life. He wasn't the field last night with Hamlin, he wasn't at the hospital with him. The purpose of this video, obviously, is primarily to deflect speculation about a possible vaccination connection. To provide plausible deniability.
Oh great, FresnoHawk is back…

JPatera76

Reaction score
He's saying this because there was a lot of Speculation and assumption and rumors spread by those on twitter who don't necessarily believe in vaccinations. That, that's what caused Hamlin's collapse.

However, in this thread it doesn't matter if anyone here is anti-vaccination, pro vaccination. This isn't the thread or the right place for such discussion.

NoGain

Reaction score
I just watched it. He mentioned it twice in passing. It seems to me that "keeps repeating" is a bit of an overstatement. It did seem odd that he mentioned it, though. My guess is that he probably heard such a thing posited somewhere after it happened (social media?) and wanted to dispel the attempt to politicize such an unfortunate event in an uninformed manner. I don't know, however.

renofox

Reaction score
The doctors treating him may have a good idea of the exact cause. Nobody else can possibly know.

Stating that it had something to do with vaccines is ignorant, disingenuous, and politically motivated.

Stating that it had nothing to do with vaccines is ignorant, disingenuous, and politically motivated.

Political shills are assholes.

NoGain

Reaction score
He politicized it, also.

He didn't want the "other side" to "win".

Political asshat just like the ones he was responding to.
I didn't say he didn't. I just guessed at what might have happened. That's all.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Couple of thoughts from a doc that specializes in managing these kinds of patients.

1 - Mechanics of CPR - Just listen to pmedic920. He nails the technique, and the updates.

2 - Outcome of CPR - There are a couple of things that affect the success of CPR. #1 is there an easily reversible cause. If someone's heart stops because blood flow has been completely obstructed, no amount of CPR will help, unless the obstruction is relieved. If there is an isolated, reversible cause, like an impact induced dysrhythmia, CPR can be very effective. If you are doing CPR because of a car accident or other trauma, you're likely to have a bad day. #2 Time to initiation of CPR. This is way more important than duration of CPR. In my environment, where I can measure the output of the heart in real time, and thus evaluate the quality of CPR in real time, CPR duration of 15 to 20 minutes still tends to have remarkably good outcomes. Part of the reason is that I now deal exclusively with witnessed arrests, with immediate CPR, and immediate defibrillation, if necessary.

3 - Thoughts on what is going on with Hamlin. I wouldn't read anything negative into the fact that he is still intubated today. There are a number of reasons we leave people intubated. It is possible that the institution he is in still does targeted temperature management for these cases, and that requires a sedated and intubated patient. Sure, he could be requiring intubation because of the worst, but that is less likely.

The chances that he actually stopped breathing, on the field are somewhere between none and zero. Breathing is one of the last things to go when someone dies. He may not have been protecting his airway, but he was not down long enough to stop breathing, unless the collapse was from some sort of head injury, suffered earlier in the game.

Pre-existing condition - There are multiple pre-existing conditions that can leave the heart more susceptible to electrical disruption. My best friend has a rare, genetic condition that was discovered after he had a v-tach arrest on my boat. For those of you, like Pmedic who get it, his heart rate was over 200 for 30 minutes before we could get the helicopter into us to defibrillate him. That should be lethal, but somehow he survived without brain damage. Of course he is a cowboy with no brain to start with.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well in my book if he lives with now ill effects and never plays it's a win for everyone and the medical staff. He has a lot going for him, youth, immediate first aide and medical attention, best staff money can buy due to his profile and being in the NFL.

While it was a different type of injury Hamlin dropping reminded me of Daryl Stingley, after he made the catch and was hit he dropped like a rag doll. Hamlin just dropping reminded me of that.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I would agree that this seems the logical move, but I'd go a step further and say that if after this week, this game doesn't affect the seeding of either team, then just either call it a tie or don't count it at all and move on with the post season. No reason to make up the game if it doesn't mean anything.

Also, to add, the NFL statement saying that they wouldn't play this week said that he is still in critical condition. I'd hoped for better news, but will keep hoping for a full recovery.
The problem is that it likely will have huge effect on seeding. As it stands now, the Bills and Bengals, along with the Chiefs, have a shot at the #1 seed and HFA through the playoffs.
Couple of thoughts from a doc that specializes in managing these kinds of patients.

1 - Mechanics of CPR - Just listen to pmedic920. He nails the technique, and the updates.

2 - Outcome of CPR - There are a couple of things that affect the success of CPR. #1 is there an easily reversible cause. If someone's heart stops because blood flow has been completely obstructed, no amount of CPR will help, unless the obstruction is relieved. If there is an isolated, reversible cause, like an impact induced dysrhythmia, CPR can be very effective. If you are doing CPR because of a car accident or other trauma, you're likely to have a bad day. #2 Time to initiation of CPR. This is way more important than duration of CPR. In my environment, where I can measure the output of the heart in real time, and thus evaluate the quality of CPR in real time, CPR duration of 15 to 20 minutes still tends to have remarkably good outcomes. Part of the reason is that I now deal exclusively with witnessed arrests, with immediate CPR, and immediate defibrillation, if necessary.

3 - Thoughts on what is going on with Hamlin. I wouldn't read anything negative into the fact that he is still intubated today. There are a number of reasons we leave people intubated. It is possible that the institution he is in still does targeted temperature management for these cases, and that requires a sedated and intubated patient. Sure, he could be requiring intubation because of the worst, but that is less likely.

The chances that he actually stopped breathing, on the field are somewhere between none and zero. Breathing is one of the last things to go when someone dies. He may not have been protecting his airway, but he was not down long enough to stop breathing, unless the collapse was from some sort of head injury, suffered earlier in the game.

Pre-existing condition - There are multiple pre-existing conditions that can leave the heart more susceptible to electrical disruption. My best friend has a rare, genetic condition that was discovered after he had a v-tach arrest on my boat. For those of you, like Pmedic who get it, his heart rate was over 200 for 30 minutes before we could get the helicopter into us to defibrillate him. That should be lethal, but somehow he survived without brain damage. Of course he is a cowboy with no brain to start with.
Thanks for the info.

Regarding #3. Please correct me if I state this wrongly, but I just heard a doctor comment about the likelihood that Hamlin was put into an induced coma to reduce his body temperature and the amount of energy needed by his organs so as to allow them to recover or heal from the trauma. Is that a decent summation?