Battle for the Number 2 Pick

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
I do wonder if Pete will be able to contain himself and not go crazy maneuvering with trades. It is possible to screw yourself getting too cute and greedy. All I know is that PCJS are feeling like Charlie and and the lil fat kid walking into the foyer at Willy Wonka's crib!

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Detroit has the Rams pick and will take either Young or Stroud (imo).

As of now I think it's
Houston (Young or Stroud)
Chicago (Carter or Anderson)
Hawks ( "" "" """ )
Detroit ( Young or Stroud )
Carolina BQBA
Personally I think Jalen Carter should go first overall and i'm sure Houston can find a trade partner that will allow them to trade down and still get their guy.

The Bears want Carter bad. Houston could swap picks with them. Some believe that won't happen because Houston has to get a QB and the Bears pick next. That's nonsense. The Bears cant trust Houston to not trade that pick to Seattle who also want Carter.

BUT....If Houston is suddenly smarter than in year's past...they don't trade with Chicago or Seattle. No, they trade down to 6 with Philly (who would pee themselves for Carter). Houston would pick up some nice draft capitol there and I personally believe either Stroud or Young will still be there at 6 since reports suggest Carolina is very high on Levis.
Well, we’re all kidding ourselves if we think we know what’s going to happen. That said, I would be surprised and mad if Poles trades up. He can’t afford to give up any draft capital with all the holes he has created on this roster. It would make more sense to trade down to some team desperate for a QB.

I think you’re right that he would take Carter, because Eberflus puts high value on getting an elite 3-tech DL. But Bears also badly need pass rush, so Alexander would also be a great acquisition. I have a hard time choosing between these two players.

Personally, I don’t want the Bears and Seahawks to screw this up. They should just take Alexander/Carter at #2 and #3 and celebrate.

Last edited:

Chuckwow

Reaction score
I'm starting to feel trading down might be our best option. I just don't think we have a shot at Carter and I don't see us giving up what it would take to move up for him. Like both of our first rd picks.

So it seems Anderson, if there, is the next, best sexiest pick. A beast to be sure but we could easily parlay our first pick into 2 more first rounders. In all we'd then have 3 mid round firsts. With those picks I'd be crazy happy with Trenton Simpson, Bijan Robinson and BJ Ojulari.

It's possible Simpson's teammate DT Bryan Bresee will be there for the first of our second rd picks, and if not, we might wanna consider moving up a bit to get him.

So before even using our (#2) second round pick we could add 3 stud defensive players and a mind blowing running back. Robinson and Walker could push and spell each other ala Watters and Alexander. Rejoice.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If it's only a few slots down and they can still get a stud DE or DT? I wouldn't have any issue with trading down a few spots.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
I honestly feel like Seattle will sell that #3 pick at a king's ransom.
and that might be for the best.

will anderson jr. alone isn't getting our front 7 over the hump. dline/lb need to be infused with 3-4 impact guys.

we currently have 5 picks in the top 85. parlaying #3 could easily net us a mid-round 1st, + a future 1st, + a 2nd, + a 3rd. so instead of having 5 in the top 85, we could have 8 in the top 85 with an additional 1st for the following draft.

Last edited:

rjdriver

Reaction score
and that might be for the best.

will anderson jr. alone isn't getting our front 7 over the hump. dline/lb need to be infused 3-4 impact guys.

we currently have 5 picks in the top 85. parlaying #3 could easily net us a mid-round 1st, + a future 1st, + a 2nd, + a 3rd. so instead of having 5 in the top 85, we could have 8 in the top 85 with an additional 1st for the following draft.

My brain says yes. On paper this seems like a solid strategy.

But still....

If you have a chance to take Carter.....YOU TAKE HIM. Too much of an impact player, especially for a team that needs help on the D line.

We could have probably parlayed our number 6 pick in the 1997 draft for some good capital as well, but some players are worth the squeeze.

Mase

Reaction score
-- I told my wife back in the summer I thought we would be better than most thought, and Denver would be worse that most thought. I suggested we would both just barely miss the playoffs, and one way or another we would have the 17th and 18th picks. Now, with a real shot at one pick being the 2nd overall, I am okay with the other being the 32nd pick. (Not delusional, just hopeful)

Mase

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The Denver 1 doesn't have to be really high to get a great player. Schneid has traded down many times, and still got the player we wanted with the pick.

evergreen

Reaction score
Get elite talent. The rest are rubies in the dust

DaveG

Reaction score
Do you realize that, while extremely unlikely, it is actually possible for us to get both the first and the last pick in the first and second rounds.

themunn

Reaction score
I honestly feel like Seattle will sell that #3 pick at a king's ransom.

I dunno, Schneider is on record a saying he usually only thinks there are 10-15 guys who stand out above the rest in the draft, and beyond that everybody in the next 50 picks or so are around the same level, so he's always been happy trading down if we're in the high teens/low twenties.

Whenever we've had a top 10 pick we've used it, and even when we did trade down from our highest spot (12 in 2012) it was only 3 spots for an additional 4th and a 6th.

If we get a chance to take one of the top 3 (or 2!) guys in the draft we will take it - tbh given Houston will select QB we have a chance at the best player in the draft, why wouldn't we want that guy.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I dunno, Schneider is on record a saying he usually only thinks there are 10-15 guys who stand out above the rest in the draft, and beyond that everybody in the next 50 picks or so are around the same level, so he's always been happy trading down if we're in the high teens/low twenties.

Whenever we've had a top 10 pick we've used it, and even when we did trade down from our highest spot (12 in 2012) it was only 3 spots for an additional 4th and a 6th.

If we get a chance to take one of the top 3 (or 2!) guys in the draft we will take it - tbh given Houston will select QB we have a chance at the best player in the draft, why wouldn't we want that guy.
Me? I love so us to get the 2 pick and snag Carter. And then trade away our other 1st round.