Battle for the Number 2 Pick

Followthelegion

Reaction score
Given Houston look like locking up the number 1 pick with a 1-9-1 record, and given their need for a QB, the 'best' non-QB in the draft could well fall to the Seahawks at 2 (via the Broncos' pick gained from RW trade).

It seems a 2-way contest with the Bears due to their records (3-10 for Chi, 3-9 for Den), but also when you consider the remaining schedules for the 2 teams:
CHICAGO - Eagles, Bills, @Lions, Vikings
DENVER - Chiefs, Cardinals, @ Rams, @ Chiefs, Chargers

It's hard to see Chicago picking up a win in their 4 games, despite hosting 3 of them. It's possible Vikings will be locked into the 2 spot by this point so could rest their starters?
Denver to me don't look like a bad football team, just offensive injuries and RW craptitude stopping them getting across the line in multiple games. Of the remaining games, that Rams game looms large. If the Rams lose, not only would this stop us getting the 2 pick, but also would give the Rams the 3, and Denver 4. Relying on Baker Mayfield to outduel RW....could be a horrible game to watch.

Keeping my fingers crossed, if we end up at 2 we can guarantee getting Carter or its possible they trade down a few spots in the first round.

themunn

Reaction score
Rams don't have a 1st round pick this year (or any year). Mortgaged the future.

Think both teams will probably eek out a win against a team nobody expecting them to.

Chicago have run most teams close this year at home - 3 of their 4 losses at they've been ahead going into 4th quarter and allowed 21 to Detroit, 18 to GB, 9 to Washington, losing all 3. Miami was the only team they were behind against and lost by 3 points (with 2 chances to win or tie it) - I think they're better than their record suggests and when they bring it all together they'll scalp a team nobody expected them to.

But likewise Denver's D is just exceptional, they only need Wilson to have one good game this year and they'll grab a win against someone.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Bears have to be in a better mental state right now. Their QB is someone they believe in and they’ve run teams close in losses so far.

A factor coming soon - if it hasn’t arrived already - is Denver players just quitting. That might be a determining factor with both teams facing brutal run-ins.

seabowl

Reaction score
Unbelievably Denvers defense which has been fantastic, has let up the least amount of points in the league this year. Their offense has scored the least amount of points this year. Not sure when the last time this has happened but it’s pretty incredible to see.

Also, you can only look at the teams like Houston and Chicago, do you also need to look at teams right behind third spot as of now because they can suck to and move up in the draft based on their final games and how they perform.

Spohawks

Reaction score
I have mentally sold myself it will be the 3rd pick.

The remaining schedule for the Bears is like a who's who of playoff teams. That Ohio QB will go first, one of the top 2 DEs will go 2nd and then its open season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely. That build up overnight from Day 1 in to Day 2. There's always a list of 5-10 guys still sitting on the board that some had as 1st rounders. Will be nice to jump on one of those picks right away on Day 2.

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
I’m surprised nobody is mentioning the saints and rams who also have 9 losses. There are also 6 teams with 8 losses.
Much like tds vs bathrooms, this thing is going to be tight down the stretch. We could still end up anywhere in the top ten. What a trade!!!!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
One thing not being said is we have another one and double dueces.
If we really want that top pick,two or three there is no doubt in my
mind we can trade up if needed (I hope not)
It is really nice to have options instead of being stuck because of a
winning record-picking low and trading picks off for a decent player
when we had no shot of winning a championship for years.
You may disagree but i sure didn't feel like we did a couple years after
the 3rd SB.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. For the first time in several years, they have multiple options and 2 picks in the 1st and 2 in the 2nd. A couple of those being VERY HIGH.
They absolutely have the draft capital to trade up if they wanted to for a specific guy.
This will be one hell of a fun draft to watch. Especially day 1 and 2. Personally, I'm hoping the draft is similar to last year. No cute, just picking damn good players that can impact the team sooner than later.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
I’m surprised nobody is mentioning the saints and rams who also have 9 losses. There are also 6 teams with 8 losses.
Much like tds vs bathrooms, this thing is going to be tight down the stretch. We could still end up anywhere in the top ten. What a trade!!!!
Rams don't have a 1st round pick

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Bears fan here. We have the same discussion over on my Bears forum. So long as Texans draft a QB, I don’t care much whether Bears are #2 or #3. Either way, we get Anderson or Carter….can’t lose. Half the fans want to trade down for more picks. I might do that, but only for a Trey Lance kind of offer.

OP
OP
F

Followthelegion

Reaction score
Sorry to be clear for those posting “Rams don’t have a first round pick”, yes you’re right their pick was traded but my point is we would slip a spot.
And yes it’s very very tight at the bottom, but no team can jump the Donkeys at this point if they lose out.

Also if bears and broncos are tied on record, strength of schedule strongly indicates that Denver would finish above Chicago in draft order. I’m fully hoping for a Denver implosion as the defense quits! This draft is going to be a lot of fun, especially rounds 1 and 2 with 4 high picks

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Sorry to be clear for those posting “Rams don’t have a first round pick”, yes you’re right their pick was traded but my point is we would slip a spot.
And yes it’s very very tight at the bottom, but no team can jump the Donkeys at this point if they lose out.

Also if bears and broncos are tied on record, strength of schedule strongly indicates that Denver would finish above Chicago in draft order. I’m fully hoping for a Denver implosion as the defense quits! This draft is going to be a lot of fun, especially rounds 1 and 2 with 4 high picks
My dream draft has Anderson and Carter going to the Bears and Seahawks, and I don’t much care who gets which guy.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Rams don't have a 1st round pick
I also celebrate the Rams's lack of draft capital. But the Rams record will dictate where the pick that was originally theirs falls. Just like how the Broncos record determines where we pick once in each of the first two rounds.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Detroit has the Rams pick and will take either Young or Stroud (imo).

As of now I think it's
Houston (Young or Stroud)
Chicago (Carter or Anderson)
Hawks ( "" "" """ )
Detroit ( Young or Stroud )
Carolina BQBA
Personally I think Jalen Carter should go first overall and i'm sure Houston can find a trade partner that will allow them to trade down and still get their guy.

The Bears want Carter bad. Houston could swap picks with them. Some believe that won't happen because Houston has to get a QB and the Bears pick next. That's nonsense. The Bears cant trust Houston to not trade that pick to Seattle who also want Carter.

BUT....If Houston is suddenly smarter than in year's past...they don't trade with Chicago or Seattle. No, they trade down to 6 with Philly (who would pee themselves for Carter). Houston would pick up some nice draft capitol there and I personally believe either Stroud or Young will still be there at 6 since reports suggest Carolina is very high on Levis.

rjdriver

Reaction score
What's funny is that I think a large contingent of us, before the year started, would have guessed the two picks in the first to be about right where they are currently.

Oh so right. Oh so wrong.