Bailey Zappe, Patriots next Tom Brady? QB controversy in NE

olyfan63

Reaction score
Well, Rookie Wonderlic Wonder Bailey Zappe has gone from Patriots' 3rd string QB to starting the last 2 games for the Patriots, and going 2-0 in his starts!
Belichick won't commit to starting Mac Jones again when he returns from injury. (Zappe had the #1 Wonderlic score of the 2022 QB draft class, (35) I did a thread 2022 Wonderlic Wonders a couple months back)

This somewhat loosely follows the script of Tom Brady's career, except Zappe is getting his shot early in his rookie year, not his sophomore year like Brady. I confess, Zappe is the rookie QB I considered *least likely* to get playing time this year. Then Mac Jones got injured, and then Brian Hoyer got injured, and Zappe got his shot, and almost beat the Packers and Aaron Rodgers in Lambeau.

Another interesting situation to watch as it unfolds. Will Belichick stick with Zappe if he keeps winning? I'm over MY Patriots hate; they've been appropriately humbled since Brady left.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
Interesting video on the Mac Jones / Bailey Zappe QB "controversy".
Recall that Pats OC Josh McDaniels is now the Head Coach of the Raiders. The new OC is Matt Patricia, who is more known as a DC, and failed Detroit Lions Head Coach. When I first heard that, it was "WTF, wasn't Matt Patricia their defensive coordinator? Now he's their OC?" So there have been some changes from last season to this season for Mac Jones, what with new OC and relationship with Josh McDaniels in the rearview mirror.

One of the storylines is that Zappe is running the "new" Matt Patricia offense as he's being asked to, and having success, while Mac Jones was not on board with the "new", post-Josh McDaniels offense and is questioning things. Zappe's success has been a bitch-slap to Mac Jones, and it seems Belichick could be milking this to get Mac Jones's attention, that Jones needs to get on board and run things the way he's asked. Rumor, true or not, is Mac Jones has a little Russell Wilson problem with playing Hero-Ball a bit too much.