Are you all ready to laugh? (Penalty-related)

seahawks187

Reaction score
just amazing they keep changing rules or emphasizing different rules geared towards the defense instead of keeping it the same and making the damn offenses adapt and figure out a way to be successful vs what is happening to them.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I was very much keeping track of those lack of flags on Friday night and believe me, was having the time of my life because of it. I pointed that out to the guy who was sitting next to me at the bar and we both had a laugh over Jerry's Jones' comments. I turned on my radio the other morning to ESPN and who should happen to be on but Mike Lupica (whom I like as a writer -- does a very nice job in writing sports books for youth). That said, Lupica mouthed off about the Seahawks, calling them cheaters with how they push the limits (and cross the line) on how they play defense. Guys like Lupica and Jerry Jones just don't get it I guess. They don't get how much time and effort this coaching staff spends on teaching these guys textbook fundamentals and making sure they are technically sound in everything they do. And you know what, the flags have spoken and they're saying that the rest of the NFL needs to pay attention to the Seahawks and take notes on just how to play defense. Personally, I hope that they don't.

MadSweeney

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3ovtuuab said:
I was very much keeping track of those lack of flags on Friday night and believe me, was having the time of my life because of it. I pointed that out to the guy who was sitting next to me at the bar and we both had a laugh over Jerry's Jones' comments. I turned on my radio the other morning to ESPN and who should happen to be on but Mike Lupica (whom I like as a writer -- does a very nice job in writing sports books for youth). That said, Lupica mouthed off about the Seahawks, calling them cheaters with how they push the limits (and cross the line) on how they play defense. Guys like Lupica and Jerry Jones just don't get it I guess. They don't get how much time and effort this coaching staff spends on teaching these guys textbook fundamentals and making sure they are technically sound in everything they do. And you know what, the flags have spoken and they're saying that the rest of the NFL needs to pay attention to the Seahawks and take notes on just how to play defense. Personally, I hope that they don't.
Seattle DBs are cheaters just as much as every lineman who holds whenever they think they need to. HoFers like Walt are generational, the rest are part of the culture of "there could be a holding flag on every down". Every single line coach in the league teaches how to hold and get away with it. It's only an issue of cheating because a loudmouth who's easy to hate outside of Seattle famously said they do it a lot on purpose. But it's no different than any and every single offensive line since they made holding a pemalty.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
MadSweeney":1iz7b7nu said:
Hawkscanner":1iz7b7nu said:
Seattle DBs are cheaters just as much as every lineman who holds whenever they think they need to. HoFers like Walt are generational, the rest are part of the culture of "there could be a holding flag on every down". Every single line coach in the league teaches how to hold and get away with it. It's only an issue of cheating because a loudmouth who's easy to hate outside of Seattle famously said they do it a lot on purpose. But it's no different than any and every single offensive line since they made holding a pemalty.

Amen to that.

sutz

Reaction score
Whatever. If a player is going to achieve at a high level in professional sports he has to push the limits of the rules. Anybody who doesn't will get run over.

:229031_shrug:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Week three definitely looked like they tabled the new emphasis rules.

My only concern, is that there is now the possibility of a huge gap in consistency between crews. Are they going to call it like weeks 1 and 2? Are they going to revert back to the interpretation as before? The threshold seems more subjective than ever right now.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":fk96lwe8 said:
My only concern, is that there is now the possibility of a huge gap in consistency between crews. Are they going to call it like weeks 1 and 2? Are they going to revert back to the interpretation as before? The threshold seems more subjective than ever right now.

I certainly hope not; but I'm guessing the NFL has been talking to the officials after each week's preseason games, and it was mostly a result of refinement of the NFL's preferred interpretation...But, time will tell. I'd rather take horrible flag-heavy officiating as long as it's fair and consistent than officiating that wildly varies between crews, no matter who it benefits.

chris98251

Reaction score
We will know week one, the biggest baby on the field will be in our house. That will be the yardstick for us.