All our haul for Watson or a pick or 2 and player for Carr?

keasley45

Reaction score
Let's look forward, shall we? And in this new frontier, ponder for a sec what scenario might benefit us most:

Giving up just about everything we got in trading Russ to the Donkholes for Watson

OR...

Holding on to a bit of it and making a play for D Carr.

No one can doubt Watson's skill. The dude is accurate (70% passer his last season) elusive, can distribute the ball and make every throw, and be the focal point of the offense when need be (4800+ yards last season). But if you go that route, we're likely in the same draft position we were before trading Russ, maybe down Lockett if he's packaged, and maybe a few positions worse. But you've arguably improved the most important position on the field.

With Carr, you get a guy who's not as spectacular a player, but better than average (a manager +), and at times, can light it up in his own right. Plus, chances are you walk away with him AND get to hold on to a good number of your chips to either play later or cash in for talent come the draft.

Neither player has played on great teams, so it's hard to factor in their teams records in the equation given the lack of talent they've had around them and the questionable coaching they've been under.

Tboughts?

Would be great if the replies stayed out of any references to Pete / Russ 'love' or 'hate'.

nanomoz

Reaction score
No. Neither. Who knows when Watson's issues will be resolved. And Carr is routinely one of the worst play-action quarterbacks in the NFL.

The team isn't good enough, etiher. Even if they landed Watson, they're barely a playoff team. Probably, they aren't even that.

Rebuild the team. Draft a game wrecking pass rusher. An offensive lineman. A running back. Or a quarterback if they think they can develop one of Willis/Ridder/Corral.

As Rob brings up in the below post, I don't see why Drew Lock would be part of the trade package if Seattle intended on going after one of those guys (or Cousins). They have never wanted to make a large investment in the backup QB position.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/a-new-mock ... awks-notes

CPHawk

Reaction score
Watson with his issues, should be a 2 and a 5 tops. We should have traded for Mack today also.

OP
OP
keasley45

keasley45

Reaction score
nanomoz":1bbta6sl said:
No. Neither. Who knows when Watson's issues will be resolved. And Carr is routinely one of the worst play-action quarterbacks in the NFL.

The team is good enough, etiher. Even if they landed Watson, they're barely a playoff team. Probably, they aren't even that.

Rebuild the team. Draft a game wrecking pass rusher. An offensive lineman. A running back. Or a quarterback if they think they can develop one of Willis/Ridder/Corral.

As Rob brings up in the below post, I don't see why Drew Lock would be part of the trade package if Seattle intended on going after one of those guys (or Cousins). They have never wanted to make a large investment in the backup QB position.

Watson's future may be much clearer tomorrow.

Elemas

Reaction score
nanomoz":1bacmksd said:

The team is good enough, etiher. Even if they landed Watson, they're barely a playoff team. Probably, they aren't even that.

Agree with this. Have Lock pilot the tank.

jeremiah

Reaction score
keasley45":3g0695ny said:
Let's look forward, shall we? And in this new frontier, ponder for a sec what scenario might benefit us most:

Giving up just about everything we got in trading Russ to the Donkholes for Watson

OR...

Holding on to a bit of it and making a play for D Carr.

No one can doubt Watson's skill. The dude is accurate (70% passer his last season) elusive, can distribute the ball and make every throw, and be the focal point of the offense when need be (4800+ yards last season). But if you go that route, we're likely in the same draft position we were before trading Russ, maybe down Lockett if he's packaged, and maybe a few positions worse. But you've arguably improved the most important position on the field.

With Carr, you get a guy who's not as spectacular a player, but better than average (a manager +), and at times, can light it up in his own right. Plus, chances are you walk away with him AND get to hold on to a good number of your chips to either play later or cash in for talent come the draft.

Neither player has played on great teams, so it's hard to factor in their teams records in the equation given the lack of talent they've had around them and the questionable coaching they've been under.

Tboughts?

Would be great if the replies stayed out of any references to Pete / Russ 'love' or 'hate'.

I would love to have Carr here, but not at the cost of the draft capital we just got from Denver. I would rather see the team build a solid...solid, did I say solid? O line, and work their way out while searching for a QB in the draft. If they can find someone that is cut who is servicable, great. Trading so seldom works. No if we could get the #2 QB from the Ravens? Or the "OTHER WILSON" from NY J E T S ..JETS JETS JETS.... now we are cooking with gas.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Good thoughtful post, but I'd say neither.

I'd lean towards someone homegrown, inexpensive and identified in either of the next two drafts. Use the draft resources and cap space to strengthen the entirety of the roster.

From a roster and assets position, this current situation is far better than the one they inherited in 2010.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Watson.

Carr would be dead by midseason considering how we like to protect our QBs.

hawk45

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":29ufpigb said:
Watson.

Carr would be dead by midseason considering how we like to protect our QBs.
A QB who will hand the ball off and get it out of his hands might do just fine.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Not questioning Watson's ability. I think he immediately keeps the Seahawks in that borderline playoff contention range no matter what. But the team still has a ton of holes and zero depth. Everything gained from Russell trade will be given away to get Watson plus whatever pay day he wants next.

I think Watson could be an excellent addition (with less of the prime time shine that Russ has), I just don't know why we move on from Russ to him unless the divorce was inevitable.

Pete is clearly starting over on defense and needs to get a new wave of young hungry dudes. That requires high draft capital. Draft capital that is needed for Watson. I'm almost in the camp that they restock the D this year in an EXCELLENT class, hope a guy like Corral could work out, and if not be aggressive in next years draft with a much better QB class.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
keasley45":2n5eqj3v said:
https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10029439-deshaun-watson-trade-rumors-seahawks-expected-to-land-qb-by-people-around-league.amp.html

And the smoke gets thicker.

Well well well

They don't seem to fear making the risky player gamble so this fits the team mo. I didnt think it made sense for Pete to try to do a full rebuild there had to be a plan in place

OP
OP
keasley45

keasley45

Reaction score
flmmkrz":1b9eg04i said:
keasley45":1b9eg04i said:
https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10029439-deshaun-watson-trade-rumors-seahawks-expected-to-land-qb-by-people-around-league.amp.html

And the smoke gets thicker.

Well well well

They don't seem to fear making the risky player gamble so this fits the team mo. I didnt think it made sense for Pete to try to do a full rebuild there had to be a plan in place

Nope. I think the talk of a full rebuild or teardown has been a bit overblown. Same with the perception that the team lacks talent. In 2020 we were tied for the league lead in probowl selections ( I think ) and that was without Dickson, Lockett or Dunlap getting consideration.

Last year was simply a yearost to the death throws of a QB/HC relationship that started to whither 5 years ago and a defense that was caught in between who they'd been and Ken Norton's blind attempt at framing who they might be.

I'll say it again, legal troubles aside, Watson in his last year had a better completion percentage and threw for more yards than RW ever has, and he did it on an otherwise abysmal team where he was THE player to stop. And his 33 /7 td to int rate is on par with Russ's best as well.

If this ends up being that our picks are the same going into 2022 and we swapped Watson for Wilson and picked up a rotational DT and hot TE... I can't complain about it. We'll be more competitive than we were last year right out thebgate, assuming we sign Diggs and our other key FAs. ... in my opinion.