A new book about the Patriots have some juicy info

Mizak

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/322 ... -belichick

For example, wonder why Malcolm Butler didn’t play that much in the Super Bowl against the Eagles? Matt Patricia. He felt Butler way playing with a lack of effort and got demoted.

EDIT: wow, just saw this:

“Belichick and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell had a much closer relationship than previously known and once met secretly in a New England airplane hangar to discuss rule changes -- even as aides unsuccessfully pleaded with Goodell to drop the Deflategate inquiry, worried about the long-term damage to the league brand.”

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Mizak":1qb3l0oz said:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32294122/new-england-patriots-book-goes-secretive-controversial-franchise-robert-kraft-tom-brady-bill-belichick

For example, wonder why Malcolm Butler didn’t play that much in the Super Bowl against the Eagles? Matt Patricia. He felt Butler way playing with a lack of effort and got demoted.

EDIT: wow, just saw this:

“Belichick and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell had a much closer relationship than previously known and once met secretly in a New England airplane hangar to discuss rule changes -- even as aides unsuccessfully pleaded with Goodell to drop the Deflategate inquiry, worried about the long-term damage to the league brand.”
Not surprising. Rog has always been a “legacy team” type guy.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Dave Wyman mentioned a rumour that the Patriots had watched Seahawks practice prior to the Superbowl and saw them practicing the play that Malcolm Butler ended up intercepting. Wyman said they hadn't used that particular play since the beginning of the season so it was suspicious when Butler said afterwards that "he recognized the play."

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
ivotuk":2wf4ybaz said:
Dave Wyman mentioned a rumour that the Patriots had watched Seahawks practice prior to the Superbowl and saw them practicing the play that Malcolm Butler ended up intercepting. Wyman said they hadn't used that particular play since the beginning of the season so it was suspicious when Butler said afterwards that "he recognized the play."

That "recognized the play" thing always bothered me. I'm not saying I have the best memory or anything but like most of us I watched every game. I just don't recall that play being a go-to goalline play for us. I'm talking about not recalling it at the time of that quote, not now. And we sure as heck weren't running the play to Ricardo Lockett a lot during the year.

Still...I think it was a terrible play call. Not the decision to passing on that play but that play specifically

Ruminator

Reaction score
ivotuk":1au9tgod said:

Well then, that settles it. Time for both of our two Super Bowl losses to be reversed, with Steelers and Patriots forced to surrender their respective and illicitly "won" Lombardis to the Seahawks. I'm waiting.