49ers vs Rams

Stud

Reaction score
94Smith":3b53gobs said:
bigskydoc":3b53gobs said:
flv":3b53gobs said:
If the Niners cut Jimmy G, they will have one of the better cap situations in the league. Somewhere in the current top ten. They sold the draft pick farm for Lance, but would likely have space to sign Rodgers to a slightly team friendly deal. That would likely come at the cost of losing Tomlinson. Seahawks have more cap space, but have more holes to fill, IMHO. The Niners have drafted well, and can reap the benefits for a while longer.

49ers not likely to cut Jimmy G, he is likely to be traded. If the eagles can get a conditional second (that I believe is a first now) and a 4th rounder for Wentz and the Jets can get a second and a 3rd? for Darnold, the 49ers should at least get a second for him. Doubt 49ers will be in the Rodgers conversation but you never know. Guys like Tomlinson, Bosa and Samuel have contracts coming due. I would prefer they keep their core intact and sign a cheap back up

Seconds don't always pan out, but recent second rounders were Samuel and Warner.

Selling the "draft pick farm" is not so bad when the first rounder is pick number 29. Lance is still pretty raw but he has all the physical skill set you need. He needs to process what he is seeing faster

I really think the injury Garoppolo sustained against the Titans was hurting his overall performance. From that half until the end his numbers were particularly shaky, but also those were some pretty good defenses. Sounds like he is going to have surgery on his thumb now.

Agreed. Jimmy G after that injury in the titans had like 7-8 interceptions in his last 5 games and had about 6 almost pics with only 4 TD passes. He was relatively bad. But not terrible. He was clutch at the end of the week 18 games vs the Rams and made some nice passes against GB to kick the game winning field goal.

I think he'll do fine with another team once healthy.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Marvin49":1zkodmcm said:
94Smith":1zkodmcm said:
bigskydoc":1zkodmcm said:
flv":1zkodmcm said:
If the Niners cut Jimmy G, they will have one of the better cap situations in the league. Somewhere in the current top ten. They sold the draft pick farm for Lance, but would likely have space to sign Rodgers to a slightly team friendly deal. That would likely come at the cost of losing Tomlinson. Seahawks have more cap space, but have more holes to fill, IMHO. The Niners have drafted well, and can reap the benefits for a while longer.

49ers not likely to cut Jimmy G, he is likely to be traded. If the eagles can get a conditional second (that I believe is a first now) and a 4th rounder for Wentz and the Jets can get a second and a 3rd? for Darnold, the 49ers should at least get a second for him. Doubt 49ers will be in the Rodgers conversation but you never know. Guys like Tomlinson, Bosa and Samuel have contracts coming due. I would prefer they keep their core intact and sign a cheap back up

Seconds don't always pan out, but recent second rounders were Samuel and Warner.

Selling the "draft pick farm" is not so bad when the first rounder is pick number 29. Lance is still pretty raw but he has all the physical skill set you need. He needs to process what he is seeing faster

I really think the injury Garoppolo sustained against the Titans was hurting his overall performance. From that half until the end his numbers were particularly shaky, but also those were some pretty good defenses. Sounds like he is going to have surgery on his thumb now.

RE: Draft picks...

As you said, one of those 1sts is now pick #29, so while I hate losing 1's, at least its a low 1. Top 10 would have really sucked.

They will get something in return for Jimmy. Peter King seems to think it could be a 1. I'll believe that when I see it. They got 2 2's for Alex Smith. Its hard to imagine they wouldn't get at least a 2 given what other QBs have gotten on the market, the number of teams who will need a QB, and the lack of quality at the position this year in the draft.

So lets say they get a 2 to replace that one they gave up. Going from a low 1 to a 2 and giving up a compensatory 3 and a 1 two years after the draft (next years) and realizing 24 mil in cap space really ain't bad.

We'll see what happens. The retirements around the league in Pitt and TB may have created better market than we had originally thought, certainly better than last years market.

I bet it will be a second from a team like Pittsburgh.

I'm so excited for Trey Lance and a more modern offense. Jimmy was so good at attacking our one weakness that it was nearly impossible for us to beat him.

Lance should get you guys more wins against just about every other team, but allow us start splitting hopefully instead of getting swept every damn year.

Of course if Lance is able to emulate what Jimmy did, we'll be back to getting swept.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
For now, try to have at least HALF Rams "fans" in your stadium for an NFC CHAMPIONSHIP.

That was ridiculous. Huge win though, you guys earned it. And w/out help from the Refs this time (see Saints playoff game gift)

Marvin49

Reaction score
Ramfan128":1k04h02q said:
Marvin49":1k04h02q said:
94Smith":1k04h02q said:

As you said, one of those 1sts is now pick #29, so while I hate losing 1's, at least its a low 1. Top 10 would have really sucked.

They will get something in return for Jimmy. Peter King seems to think it could be a 1. I'll believe that when I see it. They got 2 2's for Alex Smith. Its hard to imagine they wouldn't get at least a 2 given what other QBs have gotten on the market, the number of teams who will need a QB, and the lack of quality at the position this year in the draft.

So lets say they get a 2 to replace that one they gave up. Going from a low 1 to a 2 and giving up a compensatory 3 and a 1 two years after the draft (next years) and realizing 24 mil in cap space really ain't bad.

We'll see what happens. The retirements around the league in Pitt and TB may have created better market than we had originally thought, certainly better than last years market.

I bet it will be a second from a team like Pittsburgh.

I'm so excited for Trey Lance and a more modern offense. Jimmy was so good at attacking our one weakness that it was nearly impossible for us to beat him.

Lance should get you guys more wins against just about every other team, but allow us start splitting hopefully instead of getting swept every damn year.

Of course if Lance is able to emulate what Jimmy did, we'll be back to getting swept.

I know exactly what you mean.

What Jimmy was good at was attacking over the middle in short to intermediate range with a lightning quick release. That's exactly where the Rams are weak.

Rams are build to pressure both outside and inside to stop conventional offenses...which the 49ers are not.

I'll just say this.

It WILL look different, but I don't expect them to stop attacking over the middle. Lance won't have the release Jimmy does, but he'll attack more of the field, forcing the D to stop crowding the middle of the field, and be far more able to escape the pocket. We'll see how it translates.

nutluck

Reaction score
Marvin49":29lvgsxz said:

I think if you guys trade him you get at least a 2nd and 3rd for him.

94Smith

Reaction score
Trade might be a 3rd this year and a conditional second next year based on playing time or success like the Wentz trade

This years draft is not as strong as last years in terms of 1st round QBs available. The market for QBs seems to be larger demand than supply as usual. I could see a team like TB or Pittsburgh making big moves.

I like to think Lynch and Shanahan were smart this way and thought of the 2022 draft prospects when making the trade up for Lance, but that may not be the case.

Marvin49

Reaction score
94Smith":15qbtqfl said:
Trade might be a 3rd this year and a conditional second next year based on playing time or success like the Wentz trade

This years draft is not as strong as last years in terms of 1st round QBs available. The market for QBs seems to be larger demand than supply as usual. I could see a team like TB or Pittsburgh making big moves.

I like to think Lynch and Shanahan were smart this way and thought of the 2022 draft prospects when making the trade up for Lance, but that may not be the case.

I can almost guarantee they saw that the QB class looked weaker this year. That was mentioned when the trade was made.

That doesn't mean someone couldn't have come out of nowhere, but they certainly knew the QBs last year at that time looked to be better plus they were within striking distance of that trade so jumped on it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
94Smith":2wzphndc said:

I don't think Wentz and Darnold had $25M due them when they were traded, so if the Niners do trade Garoppolo, they'll likely have to eat a big chunk of that contract.

I'm not buying the injury excuse. Garoppolo had some decent games with that bum thumb, and unfortunately, his poor play during these playoffs fit a pattern established over times when he was healthy. He's at best an average quarterback that succeeded due to an above average running game and an outstanding defense.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RiverDog":1gfomo9o said:
94Smith":1gfomo9o said:

I don't think Wentz and Darnold had $25M due them when they were traded, so if the Niners do trade Garoppolo, they'll likely have to eat a big chunk of that contract.

I'm not buying the injury excuse. Garoppolo had some decent games with that bum thumb, and unfortunately, his poor play during these playoffs fit a pattern established over times when he was healthy. He's at best an average quarterback that succeeded due to an above average running game and an outstanding defense.

I doubt it on the contract in terms of 49ers eating a part of it.

Any team that trades for him will likely rework the contract and add years so that the impact this year is far less with the cap set to jump considerably next year.

If they for example convert next years salary to bonus and make it a three year deal, its only 9ish vs the cap this year.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
RiverDog":ao691vh4 said:
94Smith":ao691vh4 said:

Philly had a dead cap space amount of $33.8M this season due to Wentz. He was 20 months into his 4 year/$128M contract when he was traded to the Colts. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...p-hit-in-nfl-history-as-result-of-colts-deal/

94Smith

Reaction score
RiverDog":dlbnmy2d said:
94Smith":dlbnmy2d said:

I'm not buying the injury excuse. Garoppolo had some decent games with that bum thumb, .

Please do tell me the decent games Garoppolo played post thumb injury halftime of the Titans game. I'll wait...........

Now look at his stats against the bengals and falcons the weeks before.

They were gritty performances but not decent performances. Fact of the matter is he had his worst QBR since week 5 against the Cowboys, Packers and Rams . Week 5 was a torrential down pour against the Colts.

No one knows if it is playoff football, better defenses, or injuries but I can imagine having a torn up throwing thumb does not help! Not to mention a shoulder sprain on top of it.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Shanahan has to be one of the "best" coaches of all time at losing huge games in which he has a sizeable lead in the second half. It's nuts. Going back to his days with Atlanta.

flv

Reaction score
Lol @ the post editing. The "If the Niners cut Jimmy G" stuff wasn't me. Garoppolo is an asset.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2xms5f3n said:
For now, try to have at least HALF Rams "fans" in your stadium for an NFC CHAMPIONSHIP.

That was ridiculous. Huge win though, you guys earned it. And w/out help from the Refs this time (see Saints playoff game gift)

It's just the Niners though. If you look at every other home game, we had a really good home field advantage in every other game.

And it makes sense - there are a TON of Niner fans in LA; they won their last Super Bowl around the time the Rams left.

94Smith

Reaction score
Rams fans that were there were bringing the noise. It was really loud in the 4th quarter

RiverDog

Reaction score
Ramfan128":zfsyc2ky said:
[It's just the Niners though. If you look at every other home game, we had a really good home field advantage in every other game.

And it makes sense - there are a TON of Niner fans in LA; they won their last Super Bowl around the time the Rams left.

The Rams fan base is weak. Over the years, I've gone to a lot of NFL games and was at one time a season ticket holder of the Hawks. The Niners are always well represented. On the other hand, the Rams, despite being on the west coast and in the same time zone, are one of the least supported franchises, taking a back seat to teams like the Broncos, Packers, Bears, and Cowboys, all teams that 'travel well.'

Over the past few years, with the exception of last season during the pandemic, I've spent at least one NFL Sunday weekend in Las Vegas. On Sundays, everyone wears their colors to demonstrate their support for their favorite team. I see lots of Niners jerseys, Cowboys jerseys, Seahawk jerseys, but despite being closer to Las Vegas than any other NFL city, I don't see hardly any Rams or Chargers jerseys, despite their recent success.

Another way to gauge local fan interest is the price of game tickets on secondary markets like Stub Hub. Rams tickets are always easy to come by and are at least $50 less than equivalent tickets to Seahawk home games. Lots of sellers and not many buyers.

LA is not a football town. They love the Dodgers and they love the Lakers, but they are very apathetic about football in general and the Rams specifically.

snackdaddy

Reaction score
Ramfan128":24smh0gj said:
massari":24smh0gj said:
SoulfishHawk":24smh0gj said:
I think Stafford has def. put to bed the whole can't win in the playoffs thing.

Go Bengals!
Good thing Tartt has hands like Adams
[tweet]https://twitter.com/highlghtheaven/status/1487971571272757254[/tweet]

I mean if Skowronek catches a wide open TD, that play wouldn't have mattered

People are focused so much on that drop by Tartt. Ramsey had a gimme pick six he dropped later. And Skowronek's drop. If Tart, Ramsey and Skowronek make those catches Rams win by more.

snackdaddy

Reaction score
RiverDog":336boqbj said:
Ramfan128":336boqbj said:
[It's just the Niners though. If you look at every other home game, we had a really good home field advantage in every other game.

The Rams fan base is weak. Over the years, I've gone to a lot of NFL games and was at one time a season ticket holder of the Hawks. The Niners are always well represented. On the other hand, the Rams, despite being on the west coast and in the same time zone, are one of the least supported franchises, taking a back seat to teams like the Broncos, Packers, Bears, and Cowboys, all teams that 'travel well.'

Over the past few years, with the exception of last season during the pandemic, I've spent at least one NFL Sunday weekend in Las Vegas. On Sundays, everyone wears their colors to demonstrate their support for their favorite team. I see lots of Niners jerseys, Cowboys jerseys, Seahawk jerseys, but despite being closer to Las Vegas than any other NFL city, I don't see hardly any Rams or Chargers jerseys, despite their recent success.

Another way to gauge local fan interest is the price of game tickets on secondary markets like Stub Hub. Rams tickets are always easy to come by and are at least $50 less than equivalent tickets to Seahawk home games. Lots of sellers and not many buyers.

LA is not a football town. They love the Dodgers and they love the Lakers, but they are very apathetic about football in general and the Rams specifically.

This is true. It doesn't help that its a city full of transplants who have other teams as their favorites. And going without the NFL for 21 years they lost a whole generation of fans. People who grew into the age of becoming a fan chose other teams to support. Plus, there's so much to do there plenty of people don't even care about football.

The NFL screwed up using LA as leverage to force other team's regions to build their stadiums. But if the Rams win a Superbowl it will go a long way to building a new fan base. Whether its opposing fans or Rams fans the stadium is usually full. Stan Kroenke and the NFL will make their money either way. But its a shame the team can't enjoy home field advantage like other teams.

snackdaddy

Reaction score
toffee":3gzwjf2q said:
So it was Jimmy G vs Stafford, basically two non-elite, slightly above journeymen QB and Stafford won. On the other side, Mahomes lost to a rookie who was good but not yet elite, to make it worse, the rookie was protected by a real substandard OL.

So Russ was injured, Rodgers, Brandy both couldn't carry their teams to promised land, Mahomes play like POS. Franchise QB like Prescott were one game and out.

World is up side down.

I disagree about Stafford. Sure he can make his mistakes because he's one of those gunslingers. Would rather throw further down field than check down. But he's been one of the better late game quarterbacks for years. He was very good for the most part in the 3 playoff games. Especially with the game on the line.

He clearly outplayed Brady in that game. The fumbles are why everyone praised Brady for leading them back to a tie. Without those the game woulda been a blowout. Stafford has played to close to an elite level this postseason. We will see if that continues in 9 days.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RiverDog":22anu717 said:

snackdaddy":22anu717 said:
This is true. It doesn't help that its a city full of transplants who have other teams as their favorites. And going without the NFL for 21 years they lost a whole generation of fans. People who grew into the age of becoming a fan chose other teams to support. Plus, there's so much to do there plenty of people don't even care about football.

The NFL screwed up using LA as leverage to force other team's regions to build their stadiums. But if the Rams win a Superbowl it will go a long way to building a new fan base. Whether its opposing fans or Rams fans the stadium is usually full. Stan Kroenke and the NFL will make their money either way. But its a shame the team can't enjoy home field advantage like other teams.

The LA area is big enough and with a high enough percentage of locally born residents that the transplant effect shouldn't be an issue. Phoenix, on the other hand, has a huge transplant problem as compared to other US cities, is relatively new, and they're a retirement destination. As a friend of mine from there once told me: "Everyone is from somewhere else".

The lack of an NFL franchise for over two decades obviously hurt the LA fan base, and there wasn't a novelty effect that comes with a new team coming to town like it would in other, smaller markets. You're right, if they win a Super Bowl, it could have a huge bandwagon effect, so we'll see.