2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Gads are we just putrid, just another long year again, Whens the Hawks start?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The Mariners are such a loser franchise. We are the laughing stock of MLB. I say this every year, but make a list of the 5 worst sports franchises in the three major sports and you probably find the Mariners on that list.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I'm not seeing the brotherhood i thought that would go on in the club house and dug out when Servais and Dipoto were hired. It's far too early to give up on them but they need to figure out the pitching because the offense is getting worn out physically AND mentally by having to score 5+ runs a game to win. Please, guys, just duplicate what KC did.

On a side note - It feels good to have Segura. The trade with ARZ worked well for both teams. It puts us in the spot light just a tad.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The modern day Seattle Mariners.....................we love getting to .500, but we are allergic to staying there.

sutz

Reaction score
Finally, a home win!

Cruz with 300 home runs. 3 run homer in the 8th to seal the win.

Paxton was dealing like we used to see.

A much cleaner game tonight.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I can't believe Gamel missed robbing that homer. We got rid of Aoki because of bad fielding....

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Crizilla":3brbgbwc said:
I can't believe Gamel missed robbing that homer. We got rid of Aoki because of bad fielding....

Dude it looked like he jumped way early, and a few feet from the wall and actually helped tip that over. Good grief!

Alright Dyson! Sweet.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Cishek warming up in the pen in a close game. When will our manager learn his lesson??
Got a feeling "Cishek is gonna happen"!

....and the M's offense should have been hitting the A's starter all over the yard.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Why didn't Servais have Dyson steal? Or bunt him over? Late in the game. Put pressure on the other team. Get after it. That was just terrible managing

sutz

Reaction score
Crizilla":1jrm895c said:
Why didn't Servais have Dyson steal? Or bunt him over? Late in the game. Put pressure on the other team. Get after it. That was just terrible managing
Especially with Z being so ice cold, why not have him bunt?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
This year we have the offense but the Pitching with age and injuries has been a nightmare.
We have done way better than we should be with the pitching problem(s).
Expecting playoffs with said problem is expecting too much.
There is just things you cannot control such as injuries.
I'm ok and give this team a pass for that reason.
GO HAWKS!!!

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
sutz":17qxaici said:
Crizilla":17qxaici said:
Especially with Z being so ice cold, why not have him bunt?

Agreed. There's no reason why a struggling hitter can't be called on to sacrifice-even a power hitter like Z. And of course Servais could've had Dyson steal-I thought that's why we signed him for situations like this.

Servais and Dipoto also need to think about removing Diaz from the closer role for a little while. Not a permanent move but give him a breather and allow him to work on things in lower pressure situations. He's just been struggling for too long now and it's cost us some games. Give Vincent a chance for the time being as he's been the most consistent reliever the past 2 years and I don't care that he tops out at 91-he gets groundballs, keeps the ball low and is reliable. We've lost something like 9 out of 11 and some changes are in order before it's too late.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Diaz needs to learn another pitch, and use it frequently. One of his 2 pitches (fastball or slider) always seems to be off and hitters are sitting on pitches.

He also needs to learn to quick fix his mechanics when they get out of whack, which seems to be often lately. You can tell when he is not finishing his pitches as they usually tail out of the strikezone. Young guy, great arm, but he has a lot to work on still.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Today almost feels like a must win. You can't lose 3 out of 4 at home to a bad Oakland team. Really curious to see how Felix looks after his past outing.

I thought Paxton looked great a couple nights ago. He was constantly hitting the high 90's in the middle and late innings.

Andrew Moore might be our second best pitcher right now. I really like what I see from him. I think at one point last night he had thrown a first pitch strike to the first 18 batters he faced. There was little to no chance Gamel was going to catch that HR. He jumped and it hit the very back end of his glove. Diaz made a huge mistake on the pitch the pitch that gave Oakland the lead. You can't leave a fastball in the middle of the zone when you are up 0-2 on the count. Everything with him is mental. Once Rajai Davis got on base, I thought he got a little rattled. He must have thrown over to first base at least 7 times. I'm not too worried about Diaz, because he still has electric stuff and at some point he has to break out of this slump.

We really screwed up this month, we had a chance to become major players in the trade market and wildcard standings and we fell flat on our face. As much as I want to believe in this team, I kind of think we are a .500 team. You can only win so much when you have such inconsistent starting pitching. Felix looks like a below average starting pitcher. While Gavilgio has been good, are teams starting to figure him out? Until the team gets another starting pitcher, I don't see us making a run at the playoffs. Right now we are like an NFL team that has a great passing offense, but no rushing attack or defense, you can only win so much with that formula. We need to become a more complete team.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, at least they finish on a bit of a high note. Nice win, six scoreless from Felix, pretty solid bullpen (except for Ski, what's up with him?), decent offense. I wonder if Cruz was feeling that "300" milestone hanging over him in June. I lot of players will choke a bit when a major event like that comes up. Now that he finally got it, he hit another couple this week. He's still playing on one leg, but he was never gonna be a speedster anyway.

But, yeah, we should have taken 3 from Oakland, at least, especially at the Safe. :34853_doh:

I don't think it's just Diaz with the mental thing. We seem to get into those places where the whole offense starts taking games off. Can't get into and survive a pennant race with that happening. They try to talk like Seagar is getting there, but he doesn't look all that comfortable at the plate yet.

Segura is one of the best pickups in team history, I think. He's been pretty amazing when he's out there.

Now for some rest. I probably won't bother with the Allstar game.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sure they are.The pitchers know this.I guess it's better than letting people juice themselves up.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":t4p5g4fp said:
Anyone think the balls in the HR derby are juiced? LOL
They are and have been for awhile. They were juiced when the all star game was here in 2001 (I went to it) , they freely admitted it and were using "special homerun derby" baseballs and saw one of them for myself.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Former Mariners Smoak and Jason Vargas in the ASG. Always "nice" to see former M's excel.