Tough roster choices looming

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Bipolar":2p88m27e said:
Ware was alright.

But if you think about it, if we carry Lynch, Turbin and Michael, there is practically zero chance Ware gets any playing time anyway (even if BeastMode gets injured). May be we can stash him away in the training squad and hold him as a backup for Robinson instead...

I wonder if Ware would weather the waver wire.

He may not have looked like Michael out there last night, but there are probably teams that would take him as a decent #2 RB.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Bipolar":3nztu2x2 said:
Ware was alright.

But if you think about it, if we carry Lynch, Turbin and Michael, there is practically zero chance Ware gets any playing time anyway (even if BeastMode gets injured). May be we can stash him away in the training squad and hold him as a backup for Robinson instead...

You need inactive players in every game from your final 53. They kept 5 backs last year and i'd expect it again.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
SeaTown81":2hq6ffck said:
FlyingGreg":2hq6ffck said:
-- LB... if we keep 6 it's "most likely": Wagner, Wright, Smith, Farwell, Schofield, Bradford or Lotulelei. And that's only until Irvin returns from suspension after Week 4, which means another move will have to be made here.

I really like Farwell. Dude's a fantastic special teamer and solid backup. But he's 31 and slated to make $1.7 mil this year and next. If Bradford and Lotulelei keep bringing it, I can see him being an unfortunate cut.

I agree, but Farwell is one of the premier Special Teamers in the league. Even if the other guys bring it, they will still have a hard time letting Farwell go. They know how important he is, and if we're going to make a SB run this year he is a very valuable piece. I could see him hanging on one more year and then letting him go next year just for that fact.

McGruff

Reaction score
Farwell WAS one of the premier STers in the league, and he still has a lot to offer as a coach, but at 31 his skills are declining to the point where he wasn't even our best ST's coverage player last year (that would be Jeremy Lane) and based on last night, Bradford, Coleman and others have a lot to offer in two areas of the game.

HawkWow

Reaction score
If not as camp fodder, I am still bewildered why we used a pick on Ware to begin with. I can't imagine us letting Robinson go and doubt Ware will push the big 3 for more than a snap or two. Lynch, as powerful as he is, isn't exactly a goal line guy. I suppose Ware might make sense in that situation but why not put some legs on Turbin, using him there instead?

I do understand Pete wants to ground and pound so maybe he keeps an extra back...but at what expense...WR, DB?

themunn

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2gk13rj8 said:
He may not have looked like Michael out there last night, but there are probably teams that would take him as a decent #2 RB.

People said that last year about the people we put on the practice squad and all of them made it. Front offices around the league aren't going to pick up a 6th round rookie off waivers as a number 2 RB. They might pick him up to have a look and decide whether they want to keep them, but more often than not they make it all the way and we keep them on the PS

hawksman53

Reaction score
I sure am hoping Lotulelei makes the roster. I want to see how good he is in actual games.

Danny Darko

Reaction score
you cut farwell and watch a couple home runs over the course of the season on returns burn you and some extra yardage a lot. No way do i cut him for his lack of lb skills ... I liked our containment last year.

Erebus

Reaction score
I'm not going to overreact to one pre-season game and say that Ware doesn't look good. He's a rookie and it was his first NFL game action. He's got 3 more games to show what he can do. However, being drafted provides no guarantee to make this team. Money and draft status don't mean much to Pete.

Mick063

Reaction score
SDHawk":3ghqatio said:
Ware looked slow, indecisive, and couldn't break any tackles. Ware was a bit better in space but downright awful between the tackles. Was not impressed at all.

Agree with every word. I liked the other fullback better. I understand he has hearing issues, but he has a more physical presence about him.

Mick063

Reaction score
hawksman53":15u6sqgt said:
I sure am hoping Lotulelei makes the roster. I want to see how good he is in actual games.

I don't think he makes it, but maybe a chance for practice squad. A back like Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis, Legarette Blount, Frank Gore, or Steven Jackson would plant Lotulelei and step on his numbers on their way to a first down. I think his small size relegates him to a brief curiosity.