To the family of Bruce Irvin...

hawker84

Reaction score
As far as getting pissed, just remember that any organization "begging" for money from the common people is doing so because they need it. They don't get millions or billions in tax breaks. We never see fortune 500 companies begging at the grocery store because they do their begging on Capitol Hill and essentially take our money without asking us to put it in a jar. It's estimated that fortune 500 companies have $1.6 TRILLION in offshore accounts so they can avoid paying taxes. When I see a kids' charity or a community nonprofit asking for donations, I get angry that they have to do that while stupid companies like Facebook find loopholes that allow them to pay NO taxes. So if we're talking anger about money-grubbers, I'll aim mine toward the truly greedy and not the needy ones trying to do good in the world.

I understand all that, and i do contribute when i can.. But when i go to 4 different stores and get asked to donate 4 different times, when i enter, when i check out, or when i leave, then feel like a jerk because i say no, i've already donated 2 times today, sorry it gets irritating..

Cartire

Reaction score
hawker84":lroxhn4q said:
As far as getting pissed, just remember that any organization "begging" for money from the common people is doing so because they need it. They don't get millions or billions in tax breaks. We never see fortune 500 companies begging at the grocery store because they do their begging on Capitol Hill and essentially take our money without asking us to put it in a jar. It's estimated that fortune 500 companies have $1.6 TRILLION in offshore accounts so they can avoid paying taxes. When I see a kids' charity or a community nonprofit asking for donations, I get angry that they have to do that while stupid companies like Facebook find loopholes that allow them to pay NO taxes. So if we're talking anger about money-grubbers, I'll aim mine toward the truly greedy and not the needy ones trying to do good in the world.

I understand all that, and i do contribute when i can.. But when i go to 4 different stores and get asked to donate 4 different times, when i enter, when i check out, or when i leave, then feel like a jerk because i say no, i've already donated 2 times today, sorry it gets irritating..

I have to go with this. Im getting really tired of drive throughs, and walmart, and other stores asking if I would like to donate to such and such. My family doesnt make much, but we do donate to the local Firefighters charity and a few other ones my wife likes every year. I shouldnt be made to feel bad when I got a line of people behind me because I didnt give to Charity #15235.

mikeak

Reaction score
I am sure Bruce Irvin has given to those in his life that deserves it.

The cousin that didn't talk to you for 10 years doesn't deserve a dime and if you pay for dinner when you meet them they should be grateful.

Going on twitter may have been his way of putting this out there to his family. Back the F off with your requests. It is easy to say what you would do it is much harder to do in that situation. There have been several cases of attempted murder etc on lottery winner by family member that wants to inherit the money. Many of the athletes comes from situation where people have little / no education and live very poorly. It is a situation that I don't envy anyone in the sense that you have to alienate family members due to unreasonable demands from them.........

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":287wpour said:
hawker84":287wpour said:
I get pissed at all the differen't organizations begging for money at every fricken store i go to, couldn't imagine having to deal with this. Help the people who have helped you along the way, pick a couple good charities, the rest are on their own.

I agree completely with the 2nd sentence.

Back on topic: Irvin's family might need money, but it sounds like they put nothing into Bruce's success, so they are just greedy.

As for your comment about offshore accounts, I would mostly blame high taxes for that. It the gov lowered taxes for businesses they woudn't feel the need to go to a place of lower taxes.

Cartire

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1756uk9j said:
As for your comment about offshore accounts, I would mostly blame high taxes for that. It the gov lowered taxes for businesses they woudn't feel the need to go to a place of lower taxes.

Thats a crock of crap. Its proven that the highest earners pay the lowest PERCENTAGE of taxes.

5 million in taxes seems like alot, until you realized that person raked in 150 million that year.

Over half our country could live amazingly on that one persons yearly salary for 5 years. Taxes are the reason they use offshore accounts, but its not because the amount of taxes they pay. Its any taxes they can avoid, they do.

Sac

Reaction score
Bullshit. If corporate taxes were lower, corporations would still find lower tax, no tax, off shore havens.

They're the embodiment of "give them an inch and they take a mile".

They would still lobby for more loopholes.

It's in their very nature to make as much profit as they can, and it doesn't matter to them if what they do is unethical or even illegal. Especially when penalties are so low compared to the profits they reap from illicit practices.

It's nothing but a cost benefit analysis to them.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":am4sr8g2 said:
HawkAroundTheClock":am4sr8g2 said:
hawker84":am4sr8g2 said:
I get pissed at all the differen't organizations begging for money at every fricken store i go to, couldn't imagine having to deal with this. Help the people who have helped you along the way, pick a couple good charities, the rest are on their own.

I agree completely with the 2nd sentence.

Back on topic: Irvin's family might need money, but it sounds like they put nothing into Bruce's success, so they are just greedy.

I don't see the incentive for them voluntarily to move their millions and billions back to the states. Even if they only had to pay 2% or 3% taxes as opposed to the ZERO % they now pay, why would they?

My advice for the tiresome moments of "being made to feel bad" (I experience those too) is to use that moment and that feeling to think of the millions and billions of dollars that could be used to build better infrastructure that would make many of those nickle-and-diming organizations obsolete. If we focused our collective anger on the billionaires who feel no duty to America or its citizens to pay their fair share of taxes, and we allow the crooked politicians to take donations from these greedy punks in order to keep it that way, maybe we wouldn't be harassed for spare change at every turn.

In other words, ask yourself this: is my frustration with the spare-change goody-goody brigade in proportion to my outrage for the billions of dollars that fortune 500 companies are allowed to withhold from the people?

In Bruce Irvin's case, his family members are the worst of both sides: the greed and selfishness of the fortune 500's plus the annoying begging of the charities.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
mikeak":3bzwvzix said:
Going on twitter may have been his way of putting this out there to his family. Back the F off with your requests.

That's part of the reason I started this thread. Not that his family will see this on the forum, but just to throw it out there in general. Screw greedy family members.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Didn't Bruce live with a guy who ended up straightening him out, and that guy still manages him a bit ? I can't remember as there is a few hard luck guys who's story is out there, but it sounds like Irvin is sticking to his guns, and that's a good thing.

Like one of the posters above, if I hit a huge jackpot (like 20 mil + ) then everyone in my immediate and extended familiy would get $1k. Then that's it. I just can't see giving some to some folks, more to certain others, etc. Most of my family would do the same for me, so I would do it.

Reaction score
I think Bruce is right to feel this way, but I do not believe in airing family drama over social media (facebook, myspace, twitter,etc). That happens in my family and it REALLY pisses me off as a parent.

I agree with getting a money manager/attorney to watchdog your fortune (provided you can find one via reference so you don't get Billy Joel'd). All charities, hopeful entrepreneurs, family members (both real and imagined), friends and scum-suckers must go through that person. That way, you are removed from the line of fire somewhat.

If I came into 20+ million, I'd pick two charities and support them well.

I have five kids. All 18 or over. Everyone gets a trust fund of 100k, with three disbursements every 5 years (so, 100k+ any interest earned) over a 15 year period, NOT all at once so they don't blow it.

Each kid would also get funds to pay for four years in college, or pay off their loans if they've gone already.

That's it...and more than enough.

We'd also figure out something for our siblings and parents, but it'd be a single payment thing.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Hawks46":2j36k1qv said:
if I hit a huge jackpot (like 20 mil + ) then everyone in my immediate and extended familiy would get $1k. Then that's it.

Aren't you the great philanthropist? C'mon, Daddy Warbucks. You win 20Million and you only gift a grand per family member?? How will you feed yourself?
One lousy grand?

Andrew Carnegie you're not.

mikeak

Reaction score
Cartire":3fnuqz5i said:
therealjohncarlson":3fnuqz5i said:

Thats a crock of crap. Its proven that the highest earners pay the lowest PERCENTAGE of taxes.

This is 100% false. The majority of the taxes are paid by the top. Actually the top 10% earners paid 71% of ALL income tax paid in despite actually only making some 43% of all the income.

Now I am not saying one should feel sorry for them nor that they should pay less. I am for those making their money on stock etc paying the same higher tax bracket as others that do "regular" work for a living but don't go here and claim that the top earners pay the lowest percentage of taxes.

In regards to companies. This country already has record low taxes from a historical perspective. Certain groups in this country wants you to believe that we are being taxed to death but if you go look at historical numbers that is pure BS. Then go and look at mortgage interest rates and you will see that those are on historical lows which makes you wonder why so many households are having debt problem.

The answer is simple now the rich lifestyle is offered to everyone and people could live it by borrowing on their house that kept increasing in value and that all crashed but people can't live within their means they want what they see that others have and ignore the fact if they have earned it. I worked for my money, I got student loans on my money, I don't see my wife for days at times as we pass in the door-way going between our jobs but I don't complain about the taxes as I will pull my weight. Just don't ask me to pay for everything so you can sit on the couch and pass laws allowing you to smoke pot whenever you want.......

mikeak

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1j52kbsu said:
Hawks46":1j52kbsu said:
if I hit a huge jackpot (like 20 mil + ) then everyone in my immediate and extended familiy would get $1k. Then that's it.

Aren't you the great philanthropist? C'mon, Daddy Warbucks. You win 20Million and you only gift a grand per family member?? How will you feed yourself?
One lousy grand?

Andrew Carnegie you're not.

LOL - thought the exact same thing. $1k really. That is a $1k check I would tear and throw back on the ground and spit at. That is a big F you. You can either share a bit or don't - your call but don't insult me. Take everyone on a big nice trip or something or don't do jack - your call

Cartire

Reaction score
mikeak":1bnkmhuj said:
Cartire":1bnkmhuj said:
therealjohncarlson":1bnkmhuj said:

This is 100% false. The majority of the taxes are paid by the top. Actually the top 10% earners paid 71% of ALL income tax paid in despite actually only making some 43% of all the income.

Now I am not saying one should feel sorry for them nor that they should pay less. I am for those making their money on stock etc paying the same higher tax bracket as others that do "regular" work for a living but don't go here and claim that the top earners pay the lowest percentage of taxes.

In regards to companies. This country already has record low taxes from a historical perspective. Certain groups in this country wants you to believe that we are being taxed to death but if you go look at historical numbers that is pure BS. Then go and look at mortgage interest rates and you will see that those are on historical lows which makes you wonder why so many households are having debt problem.

The answer is simple now the rich lifestyle is offered to everyone and people could live it by borrowing on their house that kept increasing in value and that all crashed but people can't live within their means they want what they see that others have and ignore the fact if they have earned it. I worked for my money, I got student loans on my money, I don't see my wife for days at times as we pass in the door-way going between our jobs but I don't complain about the taxes as I will pull my weight. Just don't ask me to pay for everything so you can sit on the couch and pass laws allowing you to smoke pot whenever you want.......

Of course the paid 71% of the total. But they pay the lowest % of their own income. Thats the difference. IF you make 30,000 and pay 18%, your going to pay less overall money then someone who made $50,000,000 and paid 9%. But they still paid way less of a percentage. Thats the truth.

mikeak

Reaction score
Cartire":229ev4jw said:
Of course the paid 71% of the total. But they pay the lowest % of their own income. Thats the difference. IF you make 30,000 and pay 18%, your going to pay less overall money then someone who made $50,000,000 and paid 9%. But they still paid way less of a percentage. Thats the truth.

That is not the truth. The truth is that the portion of the rich people that makes their money from investments only pay a very small percentage in taxes (15% capital income tax). The better off people that makes their money from normal earnings that are based on working pay the highest tax bracket percentage which sure is more than 18%........

mikeak

Reaction score
taz291819":2vu3ykdv said:
Yeah, if I won $20 million, my parents and siblings get at least $1 million each.

Well good to know that I am middle ground here. I am sure mine will get a number that falls within $1k and $1million :D

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Lieutenant Dan":1jgjuvdr said:
I think Bruce is right to feel this way, but I do not believe in airing family drama over social media (facebook, myspace, twitter,etc). That happens in my family and it REALLY pisses me off as a parent.

I agree with getting a money manager/attorney to watchdog your fortune (provided you can find one via reference so you don't get Billy Joel'd). All charities, hopeful entrepreneurs, family members (both real and imagined), friends and scum-suckers must go through that person. That way, you are removed from the line of fire somewhat.

If I came into 20+ million, I'd pick two charities and support them well.

I have five kids. All 18 or over. Everyone gets a trust fund of 100k, with three disbursements every 5 years (so, 100k+ any interest earned) over a 15 year period, NOT all at once so they don't blow it.

Each kid would also get funds to pay for four years in college, or pay off their loans if they've gone already.

That's it...and more than enough.

We'd also figure out something for our siblings and parents, but it'd be a single payment thing.

Me and my older bro got into a fist fight because he kept airing family stuff on FB. This was at a time when my parents gave up their room to allow him and his girl and their kids to move in so they could save up for a house. They were so unappreciative and acted like it was theirs. That pissed me off royally. Havent talked to the guy in over 6 months.

A

Anonymous

Dear Bruce, I come in peace.

All I ask is you do this one thing...

Call Mike Rob, go have dinner with he and his wife, talk about money with him, do exactly what he says to do with yours.

Bruce, thanks very much and stay healthy big guy.

That is all,
Scott

Slick

Reaction score
I hope Bruce can work things out.

With the politics added in, this topic reeks of shit.