It's the hands, stupid

Rainger

Reaction score
pehawk":1smem3oo said:
Evil_Shenanigans":1smem3oo said:
Dave Krieg spent a lot of time running for his life in those days. So a lot of those fumbles were attributable to a lack of protection from his O-Line.

Krieg also is 3rd in fumbles, I believe behind Moon and Elway.
He is now but he was number one for a number of years mind you he had a very long career going to teams after the Hawks. Moon passed him later. Playing lots of games has a way of getting your numbers up :) According to this info Krieg is still number 2 followed by Farve.

http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/indiv/fumbles

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I recall that Dave Krieg had the ball slip out of his hand at the top of his wind-up - numerous times resulting in backward passes. It wasn't very pretty. But, his small hands also completed a lot of decent passes and the Seahawks were always competitive and fun to watch with him at the helm.

:49ersmall:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":12ibfdrm said:
Way to put words into the OPs and my mouth!

Did I say hand size is meaningless? No.

Did I say the OP's post was not valid? Yes.
Fizzled again eh T-Sizzle? :16:

themunn

Reaction score
It's not the hands, it's just about every attribute out there EXCEPT height.
In fact, of all of the things evaluators look for in a QB, height should be the least important, and I felt this before Wilson was drafted too.

My reasoning - a very good example can be taken from my experience yesterday where I was at a music festival. I'm a few mm short of 6'2, however, in a crowd of people at a gig, generally this means I can stand where I want and see everything - until anyone 6'0 or taller stands directly in front of me, at which point I need to shift a a few inches left or right because their head is in the way.
That's fine, but considering the average O-Lineman is around 6'4, plus an extra inch on top due to helmet height, realistically you need a QB 6'9 or taller to comfortably see OVER other linemen, the majority of QBs fall in the 6'2-6'5 range, and so need to see between where they stand to find WRs.

Now don't get that confused with the fact a QB needs to be able to throw the ball over the hands of D-Linemen - this is because of delivery rather than height though, a short QB with an over the top delivery will almost always be able to clear those raised hands, however that's rare skill for QBs too, and you'll find a lot of taller QBs get away with having a poorer delivery due to their ability to get away with it thanks to their height

pehawk

Reaction score
rainger":3gxwhn4r said:
pehawk":3gxwhn4r said:
Evil_Shenanigans":3gxwhn4r said:
Dave Krieg spent a lot of time running for his life in those days. So a lot of those fumbles were attributable to a lack of protection from his O-Line.

He is now but he was number one for a number of years mind you he had a very long career going to teams after the Hawks. Moon passed him later. Playing lots of games has a way of getting your numbers up :) According to this info Krieg is still number 2 followed by Farve.

http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/indiv/fumbles

You dont have to tell me, hermano. Krieg's easily my favorite Seahawk and NFL player of all-time. Underrated QB....waaaaaayyyyyy underrated.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
But all those ~6"4 linemen aren't standing upright and a QB in the 6"3-6"5 range would likely suffice for vision. There have also been issues noted with the typically longer delivery time on the throwing motion of QBs around 6"6 and higher. Height is still an important attribute and I imagine teams won't write off potential QBs because of it as quickly as they have in the past. They'll dig a little deeper by looking at arm length, hand size, the height of their delivery, and analyzing their use of passing lanes rather than a single measurable, but they'll probably still shy away from shorter QBs in the end because few will posses all the smaller positives RW did when he was entering the draft.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
pehawk":8n8h5751 said:
Evil_Shenanigans":8n8h5751 said:

Not bad company then.