Pick your punt returner

Steve2222

Reaction score
mikeak":2bv74rqt said:
"Hey Tate - here is a great deal for you. If you work really hard we will put you in a position to get smacked really freaking hard at least 3 times per game"

"Sweet! Thanks coach!!! Since this is extra risk and more plays I assume I will get some more money"

"Nope not a dime but you can EARN this spot! That is like one if those gold stars you could get in school back in the days"

You do realize guys want to be the return man right? It's not a burden.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Based on how good our Defense is...the other team won't be doing much scoring, right? Hence, there may be only two KR's per game as most kick-offs go behind the Endzone.

olyfan63

Reaction score
That Austin Coleman guy was exciting to watch on his videos... I'll let Pete decide on his chances.
And yes, Walter Thurmond III was a very good return man at Oregon.

kearly

Reaction score
I think it will be a pretty big upset if we don't have Harvin on kicks and Tate on punts next season 90% of the time. That said, I'm really interested to hear that Seattle wants Michael in the mix too. He might be the most explosive/athletic runner on the team, so it makes sense to have a look.

Omahawk

Reaction score
The person who ends up with the job, no matter who it is has my respect. That must be the scariest job in the game. I couldn't do it. I'd be bringing an extra 10 or so britches and baby wipes to every game and be making a trip to the locker room after every punt.

MrCarey

Reaction score
If Tate wants to do it, it's his job to lose, IMO.

firebee

Reaction score
As I said... Anybody, but a player we're going to rely on to start on defense or offense.

So.... No to Harvin or Tate. Keep them out of the trainwrecks and try to make sure they stay healthy for the majority of the season... if not the entire season.

olyfan63

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":jvfnclrq said:
I read somewhere that he doesn't have that breakaway speed, he's more of a bruiser in the mold of Lynch. I may be wrong, but that doesn't sound like any kind of punt returner I ever heard of. But if Pete thinks he's worth looking at, then maybe he's faster than the source I read thinks.
You're pretty much wrong. Michael is going to have one of the fastest *20* times of anyone on the team, probably behind only Harvin and maybe ET. Michael has unbelievable acceleration. What he doesn't have is unbelievable absolute TOP speed. If Michael were to break free at the 20, with ET 3 yards behind him, ET would run him down and tackle him about 60 yards later, at the other 20. However, one zig-zag that ET doesn't read and react to correctly, and Michael takes it to the house.
Watch Michael's 97 yard TD run in college to get the picture of what I'm talking about. It starts 24 seconds into the video. He outruns the DB up the sideline, and by the time the DB realizes what he's up against and starts sprinting with good form, it's too late. Michael started slowing down a bit too as he neared the end zone; it's a damn long way to run at full speed. Michael outruns DBs in his college highlights, time after time. Plus he is clever enough to make a move and create that separation, and with a little separation, and it's OVER, he's GONE.
[youtube]LCVqxFeWFoU[/youtube]