Are the pundits scared to give us bad draft grades now?

ivotuk

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":10aqdbyv said:
Scottemojo":10aqdbyv said:
http://mynorthwest.com/292/2263296/Carroll-Schneider-have-scared-off-the-draft-critics

My favorite quote is how the rumor is in the NFL right now, the day after the Hawks work out a guy, 7 teams show up to check him out.

Hard to argue with to a certain extent I suppose but I think the environment that PC and JS have created from an organizational standpoint might have every bit as much to do with how these late picks have performed as anything else.

I've been arguing this point since we drafted Kam Chancellor. He could have been a spectacular failure on a different team, and it wouldn't have been his fault.

There is a reason Pete and John value athleticism over all, they value a player from a college perspective, what would this guy be if he had attended Pete Carroll's USC? A 5 star recruit can be a game changer in the NFL but it all depends on what happens between high school and the pros.

And if they end up not getting the coaching they need to make it to the next level, P & J will draft them, redshirt them for a year (Toomer) and turn them in to All-Pros (Sherman).

You can't teach athleticism and while it helps to have the college experience at a big school, it isn't necessary if you have the coaching capable of teaching them how to play at the next level. Clay Mathews and Brian Cushing have a lot to be thankful for because if they hadn't learned under Pete and Norton, they might not be making Pro-Bowls and Big Bucks.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Listening to Kiper this year I would say absolutely. Every pick made sense according to him. After the Poe pick he was praising like crazy.

McG

Reaction score
I wish they would get rid of Dukes, Heath Evans, That guy with the big ass ears, Marshall Faulk, the ugly chick, and NFL Redzone guy on NFLN. I'm sure I'm leaving someone out, but all those people make the NFLN almost unwatchable... Oh yeah I forgot entire staff on NFLAM except the chick and Eric Davis.

On topic, who cares what the "experts" think. If they were that great at their jobs they would be professional scouts. There is a reason they are posting on a website or BSing on tv.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
McG":h7olq9fn said:
I wish they would get rid of Dukes, Heath Evans, That guy with the big ass ears, Marshall Faulk, the ugly chick, and NFL Redzone guy on NFLN. I'm sure I'm leaving someone out, but all those people make the NFLN almost unwatchable... Oh yeah I forgot entire staff on NFLAM except the chick and Eric Davis.

On topic, who cares what the "experts" think. If they were that great at their jobs they would be professional scouts. There is a reason they are posting on a website or BSing on tv.

Ultimately, the grades are worth diddly squat, except to get ticket buying fans jacked up. The very fact that they would hold back on analysis because of the team that took the player shows what they knew to begin with. Or how much faith they actually have in what they thought they knew.

However, part of me resents being pandered to. For years, every pick Bill Belichick has made on defense has been glossed over because he is Bill, defensive genius. Well, the Patriots D has been kinda sorry for a while now. But the pandering to anything Bill has not stopped. I kinda like being told what I don't want to hear, as long as I think honesty was the objective.

Also, along with what somebody posted earlier, are they genius picks for Pete and John, or is Pete selecting good athletes and then just coaching them very well? Is it the pick that is good, or is it the system that is making the players? We haven't had enough of Pete's players go elsewhere and fail/succeed to know that for sure.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'd say it's somewhere around 50/50, Scotte; but as you said, we don't have evidence for it one way or the other, yet.

Sac

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2u9xhwk3 said:
I'd say it's somewhere around 50/50, Scotte; but as you said, we don't have evidence for it one way or the other, yet.

Way to ride the fence as usual, iRoland.

Disp

Reaction score
amill87":3cjzbbek said:
I'm with ya 100% on this one. I've been saying it pretty much since Baalke took over, he just doesn't impress me much. He seems like an average GM. Not terrible but he's not great either.

In your opinion what GM other than Schneider has done a better job putting a roster together and working contracts over the past 3-4 years than Baalke?

Attachments

• baalke1.png
    baalke1.png
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,861
  • baalke2.png
    baalke2.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,861

Subzero717

Reaction score
Disp":27s68782 said:
amill87":27s68782 said:
I'm with ya 100% on this one. I've been saying it pretty much since Baalke took over, he just doesn't impress me much. He seems like an average GM. Not terrible but he's not great either.

In your opinion what GM other than Schneider has done a better job putting a roster together and working contracts over the past 3-4 years than Baalke?

No offense but much of the core was there before Baalke took over. He was part of it but not the ringmaster. I'm not saying he is average either. I'm just sayin.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
bilde

Disp

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":r9s9hsgw said:
No offense but much of the core was there before Baalke took over. He was part of it but not the ringmaster. I'm not saying he is average either. I'm just sayin.

And what does that have to do with the roster moves, trades, and signings he's made since being GM?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
How many guys in the mid/later rounds (say, round 3 and later) have earned All Pro or Pro Bowl nominations? Serious question, Disp.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Disp":2raufhsv said:
CALIHAWK1":2raufhsv said:

And what does that have to do with the roster moves, trades, and signings he's made since being GM?
He hasn't made any of real importance, that's the point. Not anything bad but not anything that makes you say "wow". He hasn't taken 5th rounders and made them AllPro or a 3rd rounder and come up with a virtual lock elite quarterback or hundred others like that.

Disp

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2xr1sf9w said:
How many guys in the mid/later rounds (say, round 3 and later) have earned All Pro or Pro Bowl nominations? Serious question, Disp.

Dunno, is Google down for you?

KCHawkGirl":2xr1sf9w said:
He hasn't made any of real importance, that's the point. Not anything bad but not anything that makes you say "wow".

Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Navorro Bowman, Aldon Smith, and Colin Kaepernick make me say wow. Fourteen picks heading into the 2013 draft, and 10 going into the 2014 draft before any comp. picks make me say wow.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Disp":1f08z5en said:

Sorry, my "Googling 49ers information" button next to my spacebar is, indeed, broken.

I've got a severe case of Don'tGiveACrap-itis.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Disp":2i3gtl2g said:
RolandDeschain":2i3gtl2g said:

KCHawkGirl":2i3gtl2g said:
He hasn't made any of real importance, that's the point. Not anything bad but not anything that makes you say "wow".

Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Navorro Bowman, Aldon Smith, and Colin Kaepernick make me say wow. Fourteen picks heading into the 2013 draft, and 10 going into the 2014 draft before any comp. picks make me say wow.
Nearly every one of them 1st and 2nd rounders correct?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Disp":3j7em04t said:

Kaepernick made me say wow until I saw him play in seattle looking not much better than mark sanchez.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I looked it up for you, anyways. The 49ers have exactly one player drafted after the second round that has earned a Pro Bowl or All Pro (1st team) spot from their 2010, 2011, and 2012 drafts. Navorro Bowman. In fact, none of their 2nd-round picks during that time have earned either one, too.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... _draft.htm

The Seahawks, on the other hand, have drafted two after the first two rounds of the draft in the past three years.. Three, if you count Wilson; but he wasn't 1st-team Pro Bowl.

I'm not calling Balke a bad or even average GM, from what I can tell I think he's good; but show me another GM that has drafted so many starters that have performed on a top unit at a high level. Schneider, at this point, is making a name for himself as standing alone atop the NFL drafting pyramid. This 4th draft class of his will help show whether that's warranted, or not; but as many have pointed out, we were lambasted pretty badly for last year's draft; and look how that turned out, lol. Even ignoring Wilson, it was a very successful draft for us. Wagner and Wilson both should have gotten defensive/offensive rookie of the year. Kuechly was behind Wagner in virtually all categories except tackles, and Wagner got his on an elite defense, he didn't have the benefit of picking up the slack of mediocre players around him like Kuechly did.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Disp":38hax8o3 said:
RolandDeschain":38hax8o3 said:

Classic. :roll:

Dunno, is the logout button down for you? Dude, you come in pounding your chest, you can't just weasel out with the 'google it yourself' line.

Anyways, back on topic.

I found this article, gives a recap of some draft grades from last year, pretty harsh. In retrospect they look pretty silly now. Some embarrassed writers out there. :oops:

http://www.mattmcgee.com/what-nfl-exper ... 012-draft/

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Baalke is a damn good GM. Good enough that I think the media gives him a pass on headscratchers too. Like Jenkins.

But the smartest move Baalke ever made did not involve a player, it was hiring Harbaugh.