Just curious...does being in the NFC still feel weird?

BuddyRyans46

Reaction score
Just curious, because I will always think of ya'll as an AFC West team. I am a child of the 80's so I remember all of those classic games in the Kingdome ya'll had against the likes of Denver, LA/Oakland, San Diego, etc. I remember the heated mid to late 80's matchups between Chuck Knox and Dan Reeves when the Hawks and the Broncos used to go head-to-head for the division. I don't know why, but something about Seattle (the colour scheme, the name, location, etc.) always seemed to fit in the AFC, so it is still weird to see you guys in the NFC. Any of ya'll agree with me on that? I will always think of you guys as an AFC team, kinda like how I still view the Milwaukee Brewers as an American League team. :180670:

BocciHawk

Reaction score
It's slightly weird, but frankly, I think the NFC competition is a LOT more interesting, and much more "storied".

I will never get tired of playing the Packers, the Redskins, the Cowboys, the Giants, the Saints... and the Bears.

Things did perk up right away when we re-entered the NFC with our games with the Rams in the early going. The 49ers rivalry is heating up and could be a really good one if both teams keep pace.

(Don't get me wrong, I will always despise the Broncos and the Raiders, but the passion is gone...)

themunn

Reaction score
We've made the playoffs 7 out of 11 seasons in the NFC which makes me feel like we were always destined to be an NFC team

chris98251

Reaction score
For me the move was bittersweet at first, always enjoyed the rivalry with the Raiders and Broncos, but as Elway faded, Shanihan became egotistically self destructive and Al Davis was well on the road to dementia, the Cheifs and us never really had a time where either of us were hated on, did have some great games though, San Diego again never developed anything there either, us jumping in time to take the division away from the Rams was timely. Martz was always stirring up the pot, 49er fans preaching were coming back, Cards well they are the Cards but seemed to provide a good excuse to be better then them every year. Now we have Harbaugh, and Fisher in their place, Cards well they are once again still the Cards and I'm sure will have the occational upset if taken to lightly.

We have dominated the division for the most part since we arrived or returned depending on your point of view, in the AFC West we were the unwanted accidental birth, never taken in as a true rival. Coming in to the NFC as and when we did created instant attention, we were not even close to the best team at that time in the AFC West, but were better then 3 of the 4 teams day one in the NFC west and competitive with the Rams day one. I'm sure as 49er and Cardinal fans thought it was unfair, as Seattle fans we were pretty much thinking this division at the time was ours to take, which we did for about a decade.

drdiags

Reaction score
It took awhile. It has taken awhile to grow a rivalry in the NFC but as many times as we have played the Bears in this past few years, along with the Washington club things are picking up. Green Bay hates us, Vikings aren't our buds after poison pilling Hutchinson from the team. I am sure it will get better as time goes along. As long as the team can keep its current talent level strong.

The old AFC West games were good times but the AFL was always like the other league to me, since I grew up in Chicago following the NFL.

It was fun hating on the Raiders, Broncos and Chiefs but it also felt like their rivalry was more against one another since the Seahawks were late arrivals to the party. The NFL reorg was a bad idea at the time to me, but it has come around.

hawk45

Reaction score
Felt weird for me right up until the 9ers became dominant.

We walked into a division with the Rams on the wane, and I remember thinking over and over that Holmgren's teams would have been crushed in the AFCW every year but 05, and thinking that guys like Erickson were probably pissed, because their near-playoff seasons would have let them keep their jobs in the pathetic NFCW.

Once the Niners ascended, finding myself in the grip of powerful hatred for their team, coach, and (some of their) fans, then it felt like the hate I used to have for Elway or for the Raiduhs. And then I felt like we were home.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
BuddyRyans46":2dgzk7dr said:
I will always think of you guys as an AFC team, kinda like how I still view the Milwaukee Brewers as an American League team. :180670:

I still think of the Milwaukee Brewers as the Seattle Pilots! Grrr Bud Selig... :thfight7:

OP
OP
BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46

Reaction score
GeekHawk":akmpr14h said:
BuddyRyans46":akmpr14h said:
I will always think of you guys as an AFC team, kinda like how I still view the Milwaukee Brewers as an American League team. :180670:

I still think of the Milwaukee Brewers as the Seattle Pilots! Grrr Bud Selig... :thfight7:

lol, touche man! touche!!!

On a serious note, I always enjoyed the heated games ya'll had with both the Raiders and the Broncos back in the mid to late 80's! I remember Dan Reeves, John Elway and Co. coming to the Kingdome for a few Sunday and Monday night games, and the place just ERUPTING IN BOOS!!! I miss those days. Does anyone else remember how heated things would sometimes get between the Broncos and the Hawks back in the day? Remember the whole "Boz vs. Horseface" fiasco?! :0190l: :179422:

Shock2k

Reaction score
The only thing I miss about the AFC is Curt Warner, Steve Largent, Kenny Easley, Cortez Kennedy, Dave Kreig, and Jim Zorn.

Too many bad years to ever get nostalgic about the AFC.

Thank god we weren't in the NFC while Montana was playing, I just couldn't deal with my current 49'ers friends if that were the case.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I hated the move, just purely hated it. But now think the move was a very good thing. Honestly I think we fit better in the NFC. We are now a smash mouth team. It took awhile. I had season tickets for most of the 80s' just loved the games but it seems the games are more important now.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I'm sorta glad the that's a distant memory. Too many 'coulda, shoulda, woulda,' and just plain ol' bad luck, dissapointing seasons. Do you think we play a little flat in rode games now? I still remember blowouts to the likes of the mediocre-at-best NY Jets. Or how about getting absolutely anihilated at Arrowhead x infinity? We had some exciting games, but rarely made any noise in the post season. Supreme letdowns like..I don't remember if it was in 85 or 86 when we went on an absolute tear in the second half of the season but fell short of the post season by a game. I felt we would have gone all the way had we just made the playoffs that season. We finished 10-6, but it wasn't good enough. Nobody wanted to face us in the post season that year. And of course, none of that momentum translated to the next season. Oh well, very glad to be looking back at Bo Jackson's carreer day at the Kindome, John Elway's bag of tricks, Terrell Davis's cleat marks on our foreheads, Ken Freakin O'brien tourching our secondar..etc, etc, etc. Mediocrity interupted by a few hope-inspiring games and seasons was getting old after 20+ seasons.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I don't miss the AFCW at all. We always seemed to be on the brink, but couldn't get over. Some of the better years we had were thwarted by Elway and Vance Johnson. Then there was the Christian Okoye ordeal. Thankfully, a guy named Cortez put that "nightmare" behind us in a single Monday night game.

OP
OP
BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46

Reaction score
lol so at least SOME of you guys actually do remember Dan Reeves and Elway's bag of tricks in the Kingdome, eh?

drdiags

Reaction score
BuddyRyans46":34ie82nn said:
lol so at least SOME of you guys actually do remember Dan Reeves and Elway's bag of tricks in the Kingdome, eh?

Was nice getting our first playoff win against those jokers but in the end they got the last laugh.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
It doesnt seem wierd, we've been in the NFC long enough now that it seems like home. But I do wish we had never left the AFC West, and if they moved back to the AFC West next year i would be happy about it.

tomahawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":28g68rkq said:
It doesnt seem wierd, we've been in the NFC long enough now that it seems like home. But I do wish we had never left the AFC West, and if they moved back to the AFC West next year i would be happy about it.

Not I. We're just now starting to get some good rivalries going with the 9ers and somewhat the Rams (my guess is this one will get good again in a few more years) I don't want to start over again.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
tomahawk":1gli4ug2 said:
JSeahawks":1gli4ug2 said:
Not I. We're just now starting to get some good rivalries going with the 9ers and somewhat the Rams (my guess is this one will get good again in a few more years) I don't want to start over again.
I'm with you tomahawk. I can't think of a scenario that would take us to the AFCW again -- but if it happened, we'd be back in one of the weakest divisions in football again. I'm tired of that schtick.

irocdave

Reaction score
I am in the minority. I wish the Hawks were still in the AFC west. It was a slap in the face when the Hawks were move to the NFC. Felt like the NFL said " well, your not good enough to be apart of the AFC west so were giving you a hand up" . It was aweesome to dominate the NFC west but the division was weak. I went to HS in northern CA in the late 80's and was a Seahwaks fan. The Raiders kept beating my hawks and I took alot of crap for this along with the 9ers winning SB's. I would still prefer that the Hawks be in the AFC but kicking the crap out of the 49ers for 8 years helps aleviate the pain of being forced to switch conferences. With Todays Hawks team, the AFC west would be in trouble with the current Hawks team. This is our year. It's never felt this way before, superbowl win or bust.......

Shitsburg can kiss my ass, this is the team they thought / wish they had.