I'd like to hear all of your thoughts, how long....

Matticus

Reaction score
Do you think PC has in him coaching? I'm not really sure how old coaches usually are when they retire for good, but I know he's pretty old. I love what we have going, and got somewhat worried when I started thinking about life after PC.

This is in no way me thinking he will or should retire soon, I'm just very uneducated on the matter.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Pete's 61 according to Wiki. Tom Coughlin is 66 and he still seems to be going pretty strong. Joe Gibbs was a coach at 67. Marv Levy's last year coaching the Bills he was 72.

Pete's the most youthful 61 year old i've ever seen. I'm guessing he has another decade in him if he wants too, although I doubt he'll stick around that long.

SeeHawkRun

Reaction score
I'd bet he coaches until he's into his late sixties, definitely. Especially since he'll have won several super bowls and carved out his legacy by then :)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
One more 5 year term after this one then perhaps he'll hang 'em up. Then to work on several of his causes to advance the community.

By then there will be a Carroll coaching tree, just like Parcells, And others.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
jammerhawk":18buh30j said:
One more 5 year term after this one then perhaps he'll hang 'me up.

By then there will be a Carroll coaching tree, just like Parcells, And others.

So far his coaching tree is Lane Kiffin, Steve Sarkisian and Gus Bradley. I hope Bradley does better then the other 2.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Kiffin is the only likely true bust of the scions. I think Sark is a work in progress with significant upside. I think Bradley will have a bright future. Choose to be negative if you want.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1ut9r5ig said:
Kiffin is the only likely true bust of the scions. I think Sark is a work in progress with significant upside. I think Bradley will have a bright future. Choose to be negative if you want.

I wasnt meaning to be negative, just being realistic. Kiffin and Sark are both still pretty young and both could still turn out to be great head coaches. Since we're going with the tree analogy they both left the nest too early in my opinion. They both could have used a few more years of seasoning with poppa Pete.

My personal opinion is that Sark is a GREAT coordinator but not necessarily head coach material. I actually still think Kiffin could be a good coach if he could mature. But I guess asking a 40ish year old man to mature isnt very likely.

I think Bradley could be good too but I dont think it will be in Jacksonville. Jacksonville seems like a place coaches go to die. Hopefully he'll get another opportunity after that.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":22zvjqw7 said:
Does Cable Fall into his coaching tree? Does Bevell? Does Quinn? Does Norton?
I'd say no, no, no and no, but I'd wager that all the Coaches who are around him long enough, absorb his philosophies, and thus make their Coaching style a big part of their gig going forward. :th2thumbs:

hai

Reaction score
Well, i guess Pete Carroll who also has the title as executive vice president, after his coaching days i still believe Caroll will have a MAJOR role still in the organization with the front office or wherever.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Pete has an ego. A very LARGE ego. All fierce competitors do.

This is the way i see it. If pete can win say, three rings over the next six years which i think is possible, based on what we know and have seen since he's been here and even his performance pre being here, if not winning 3 SB's over the next six years atleast getting there. He feeds on being the best and he's got that all important chip on his shoulders being practically laughed out of the league (after the fact) from his stints with the pats and jets.

If it's in his reach down the road to have the most rings as a head coach (say 10-12 years) I could see pete coaching into his early 70's.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
400WattHPSHawk":1wmt9wjc said:
Pete has an ego. A very LARGE ego. All fierce competitors do.

This is the way i see it. If pete can win say, three rings over the next six years which i think is possible, based on what we know and have seen since he's been here and even his performance pre being here, if not winning 3 SB's over the next six years atleast getting there. He feeds on being the best and he's got that all important chip on his shoulders being practically laughed out of the league (after the fact) from his stints with the pats and jets.

If it's in his reach down the road to have the most rings as a head coach (say 10-12 years) I could see pete coaching into his early 70's.

You know whats awesome? We're a franchise that has never won a Super Bowl. 0. Only made it to one.

And i'm reading this post about winning 3 of the next 6 Super Bowls and instead of thinking you're a massive homer and an idiot, i'm just thinking, "yea, thats doable."

two dog

Reaction score
Pete's record at his last two gigs in the NFL wasn't that bad but since he didn't win big
immediately, he was considered somewhat of a failure. USC gave him back his mojo.

I remember reading an interview while he was still at USC and he said he wouldn't
try the NFL again if he didn't have control of the entire process. Wanted more of
a say in the choosing the players he was asked to coach. Sounded like he did not
want to be a cog in the machine, he wanted to be the driving wheel.

I don't think he goes until those guys of long ago eat their words. Five years
minimum if his health permits, and he is a hell of a healthy looking 61.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1e27hmwf said:
My personal opinion is that Sark is a GREAT coordinator but not necessarily head coach material.

I think Sark is a very good coach. Like Pete, he's shown a talent for going out and finding quality assistant coaches. His offense is well constructed and he makes excellent in game adjustments. He knows how to get the most out of his talent, and knows how to mold struggling players to make them great (see Chris Polk and Bishop Sankey). A politician in front of the camera- he is very likable and is very calculated / smart with how he talks to the media- also like Pete.

The problem with Sark is that he lacks vision as a recruiter. Every year he seems to be bringing in 4 star recruits at areas that were already strengths while having several critical areas of the team languish with 2 and 3 star recruits year after year after year. The offensive line has ALWAYS sucked during his time there, and it wasn't until he hired Wilcox and an ace recruiter that his defense started to not be completely terrible.

It's kind of the opposite of Pete who was a master recruiter- Pete was a guy that didn't have holes on his team anywhere after a couple recruiting classes. Even Chip Kelly did a great job despite some "average" recruiting classes on paper. Chip Kelly was a man with a plan during the offseason- one of the reasons I'm a believer that he'll succeed in the NFL. For Sark to take the next step, he needs to either become a top recruiter nationally like Pete Carroll or Jim Mora or at least be much more clever about how he recruits, like Chip Kelly did.

Mick063

Reaction score
When it stops being fun for him, it will likely be no fun for fans as well. Winning is fun. Getting better is fun.
A team in decline, in salary cap hell, loaded with overpaid players with personal allegiance to the coach is not fun.

When it stops being fun, he will be ready to leave, and that will coincide exactly with when it is time for the Seahawks to move on as well. It will probably be a mutual feeling between the fans/owner and PC.

Then again, I could be wrong and watch him retire on top. Regardless, it seems that coaches typically try to squeeze another year out of an aging group of stars, watch their team fall short, and dread the rebuilding process before they go.

I hope he lasts for most of Russell Wilson's career.

Latest posts