Winfield agreed in principle - 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
vonstout":36gdo14i said:
I was also surprised that the Vikes didn't ask for Flynn as part of the deal. I agree Flynn wasn't wanted anywhere in the league. We obviously didn't want him either. That being the case, our front office has to be questioned for giving him the deal they did.

He was given a little more than back-up money to compete for the starting job while Seattle was in a good cap situation. As JS has said, signing Flynn gave him the confidence to not reach for a QB solution in the draft. They found one anyway in the third round and ended up with a couple good defensive players along the way. If they had somehow missed on Wilson, Flynn may very well have been a solid stop-gap solution for the price. I see no reason to question the signing even considering how everything eventually played out.

vonstout

Reaction score
"The Niners have a lot of draft capital, that's great, they need it a lot more than we do because their core players are a lot older than ours. "

Saying they need it more than we do when they won the west and beat the same team we lost to in the playoffs doesn't make sense. I wouldn't classify SF as an old team. They have some older vets, but they have a lot of young talent too. I think this could turn into one of the biggest rivalries in the league over the next few years. I'm looking forward to it.

Sac

Reaction score
Beastmode, and Rice also had reports of them being malcontents as well.

I have a feeling that the most competitive people have a tendency to be that way when surrounded by shit.

vonstout

Reaction score
They made the playoffs without Harvin. I wouldn't say they were a shit team. Not worldbeaters, but AP was unbelievable. I hope Harvin is a model player for us.

vonstout

Reaction score
Rice had no locker room issues. They wanted to keep him, but not for what we paid him. We paid him waaay to much. He never makes it through 16 games. Hope that can change this year.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
vonstout":33oxit7m said:
Rice had no locker room issues. They wanted to keep him, but not for what we paid him. We paid him waaay to much. He never makes it through 16 games. Hope that can change this year.

So, you're actually a Vikings or Niners guy, right? You seem pretty down on everything the Seahawks have done.

Rice played all 16 last year FYI.

vonstout

Reaction score
Not at all. I've been a Hawks fan for every year they have been in the league except the first. I was in junior high when we moved to Seattle and they were in their second year. Zorn/Largent/Sims/Sherman etc.

vonstout

Reaction score
50 catches last year during the regular season. His cap # is almost $10 mil next year. For that kind of coin, he needs to catch over 80 balls. He may have played in every game last year, but he had 2 catches or less in 6 games last year.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He was also the #1 receiver in a conservative, run-heavy offense. # of catches is the worst stat to judge someone's performance in this offense last year.

vonstout

Reaction score
I'm not down on everything they've done, either. I loved when they took Russell last year. I saw him play most of his games for Wisconsin and loved his smarts and the way he avoided turnovers and sacks.

Dirty Bird

Reaction score
bigcc":29zezs0e said:
Dirty Bird":29zezs0e said:
Ah, then Winfield will probably see about 70% of snaps then. On paper you guys have little to no holes but it's one of those things where you just have to wait and see how they perform before you crown em'.

you can say that about any team thats ever played any sport...... brilliant insight
Vice Versa

vonstout

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how much they open up the offense, because it doesn't make sense to pay 2 WRs 10 million each if you aren't going to throw the ball. I'm sure that will change some this year.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
We had a minimal number of free agents leave the team or players we wanted to get rid off. It was a great year to trade away picks....

sutz

Reaction score
I'm 'meh' to the whole argument.

IMHO, nobody should play the game, or do much of anything, to affect "draft capital," whatever the hell that is supposed to mean.

You play the games to win, and you play the offseason to prepare the team to win games. The most important day of the NFL calendar is Super Bowl Sunday, not the draft.

NYCoug

Reaction score
vonstout":cys7jaur said:

I know that's the thought around here for some but I don't think Sidney was overpaid. Schneider has done an excellent job of projecting future markets and locking up talented players for either below market value or about even. With the offense possibly going to the air more, and with his buddy Percy Harvin back in the fold opening up the vertical game for him ala their years in Minnesota with Brett Favre, we might be doing a complete 180 on how we view Rice's contract by next year. He could go from an albatross and restructure candidate to a reasonable contract over night if he has the type of season the Seahawks think he can.

Come to think of it, this team is basically the 2009 Minnesota Vikings on crack.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":10xu2gdv said:
brettb3":10xu2gdv said:
I have rarely been more baffled by a message board post than I am by this one.

Sorry, let me clarify.

Excited on the new signing!

Our draft position and the picks we have are bad. Really bad when compared to our direct nfc west opponents. It is likely that the Seahawks will improve less through the draft than SF, Rams, AZ.

better?

Our draft position can change. John is really savy with trading picks. Truth told he has 10 picks to work with in all and those picks can be packaged to move up should he chose to do so. I imagine he will if the right player comes along.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
vonstout":3fd6jjvx said:
50 catches last year during the regular season. His cap # is almost $10 mil next year. For that kind of coin, he needs to catch over 80 balls. He may have played in every game last year, but he had 2 catches or less in 6 games last year.

Catches aren't going to be that high when you have a QB that spreads the ball around the way Wilson did last season. I don't expect that to change either.

vonstout

Reaction score
I was excited to find a Seahawk chat line. Sorry that I'm not acting like the Chicago media and crowning the Seahawks as super bowl bound without playing the games. I'm a realistic fan that tries to follow the Hawks two time zones away in the middle of Packer country but close enough to the border to have Bear fans too. I hear a lot of Vikings news as well. If you think I'm a Viking or Niners fan because I think we overpaid for Harvin and we still have a major challenge in beating the Niners, go ahead and insult me some more. I lived in Bellevue and went to Hyak junior high in 1979 and 1980. I was there when the Sonics beat the Bullets in 79. If you want to chase me away from these boards, just say the word.

Status
Not open for further replies.