Winfield agreed in principle - 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":3c2b08fo said:
-The Glove-":3c2b08fo said:
Dirty Bird":3c2b08fo said:
For the record I think this is a good move. Low risk, high reward.
Then why the stupid question?
Cuz you guys were acting like you signed Darrelle Revis.
Whatever, and by the way we have Russell Wilson at QB and you have Bland Ryan. 'Nuff said.

NorthwestSportsFan

Reaction score
GCrow":1ipq5aq9 said:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2h
Antoine Winfield's deal with #Seahawks is for 1 year, $3M with $1M guaranteed. He turned down a similar, fully guaranteed deal with #Vikings

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2h
Among the teams that made several calls to Antoine Winfield: #Patriots & #Broncos. They joined #Vikings, #Redskins & #Seahawks. Seattle won

The legend of John grows...

Both of those are really impressive. The player we were targeting accepted less guaranteed money for the chance to play here, and we beat out four other quality teams (all made the playoffs last year). Any time your front office can beat New England is a good day.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
I would not be surprised to see some tough decisions made this year, including some that are not at all popular.

Quite frankly our Draft this year is not looking great. We have to hope for some of the previous drafts late pick magic if we want to keep pace with our division.

Before the Percin trade we had ten or so picks, but because of how they were distributed their absolute value where one of the lowest in the league (based on http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculato ... -value.php). After the Percy trade we are dead last in draft value and going to be way behind our direct competitors in terms of building through the draft.

The Niners have one of the best draft values of the non lottery teams with an astonishing five picks in the first three rounds and 14 total, the Rams thanks to the RGIII trade are sitting pretty with two mid first round picks. Arizona no longer needs to waste their 7th overall pick on a QB courtesy of the Seahawks gifting Matt Flynn to Oakland.

NorthwestSportsFan

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":fbs5a63d said:
I would not be surprised to see some tough decisions made this year, including some that are not at all popular.

Quite frankly our Draft this year is not looking great. We have to hope for some of the previous drafts late pick magic if we want to keep pace with our division.

Before the Percin trade we had ten or so picks, but because of how they were distributed their absolute value where one of the lowest in the league (based on http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculato ... -value.php). After the Percy trade we are dead last in draft value and going to be way behind our direct competitors in terms of building through the draft.

The Niners have one of the best draft values of the non lottery teams with an astonishing five picks in the first three rounds and 14 total, the Rams thanks to the RGIII trade are sitting pretty with two mid first round picks. Arizona no longer needs to waste their 7th overall pick on a QB courtesy of the Seahawks gifting Matt Flynn to Oakland.

We may not have the best draft this year, but frankly I don't think we need to. I'd be perfectly happy going into the season with our current roster, plus a kicker. Anything we find in the draft this year is a bonus. And there's not going to be room for all those selections so I'd be ok trading our picks for future picks. You only have so many spots on the practice squad, so there's not a whole lot of building for the future that you can do with this year's draft anyway.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":qb1pqvqu said:

Seattle has no MAJOR holes to fill in the draft this year. It is unlikely that most of the picks would make the final roster anyway. The Niners and Rams have some starter spots to fill through the draft still.

We are only missing our 1st rounder. Other than that it is just like any other draft. We still pick in every other round...just like previous years (and in the last few we were missing a 3rd). I think the draft value thing is overblown. For some perspective: the 49ers sat their 1st round pick on the bench all last year and they went to the SB. The Falcons didnt have a 1st rounder and they went to the NFC Championship. We at least spent ours on Harvin, who will be a big contributor. When you have a well-built roster, you do not need to rely on picks to be immediate cures.

vonstout

Reaction score
Avril, Bennett, and Winfield all took less money to play in Seattle. If we can keep that trend going for a few years, we'll be contenders for a while. SF and Seattle have both managed the cap well. I think SF's OL is better than ours, and that concerns me.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
vonstout":1kut29xi said:
Avril, Bennett, and Winfield all took less money to play in Seattle. If we can keep that trend going for a few years, we'll be contenders for a while. SF and Seattle have both managed the cap well. I think SF's OL is better than ours, and that concerns me.

Yes, theirs is better.

But we have a solid, young LT and C. Those are the most important pieces, IMO. We can spend the next few years trying to upgrade the Guard and RT spot and then we'll be in good shape.

sutz

Reaction score
Dumping Rice is a really bad idea. We have a 2nd year QB who needs as much familiarity with his teammates as possible. Tate is just coming into his own and Harvin will need some time to acclimate and shake out as he learns the current playbook. (Yeah, I know he played for Bevel in Minnie, but still.) I wouldn't mess with that at all. As to dumping McQ, again, bad idea. I'd like to maintain the continuity in the O-line as much as possible.

Salary cap numbers are always a bit shady this time of year, and nobody really knows until after the draft and first camps happen so we get a picture of who the 80 or so guys going into camp are.

The whole 'draft evaluation' chart and philosophy needs to be re-calibrated anyway since the new CBA. So called reaches are much less of a gamble with the rookie salary structure in place. Now you can make that first round pick without selling the team's soul for the next five years. Value in the later rounds is much more rationalized, too, as players drop to their natural draft level more so than in the past. But even with that, nobody can mine gold out of the later rounds like Schneider has done recently. He's the man when it comes to player acquisition.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
vonstout":2toam8np said:
I think SF's OL is better than ours, and that concerns me.
They are. But it doesn't concern me. I'm a bit jealous but that's about it.

Our D will keep them in check. I'm certainly not worried.

The Hawks will sweep the Whiners this year.

The NFCW is ours!!

brettb3

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":nuko7uh2 said:

I have rarely been more baffled by a message board post than I am by this one.

chris98251

Reaction score
It's not a matter of value it's a matter of evaluation, Pete and John have taken players all over and they have been successful down to UDFA. Prior to Winfield we had over 8 million in cap space. I am seeing a lot of not how big your tool is but how you use it from John and Pete.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
sutz":3dsvemuz said:
Dumping Rice is a really bad idea. We have a 2nd year QB who needs as much familiarity with his teammates as possible. Tate is just coming into his own and Harvin will need some time to acclimate and shake out as he learns the current playbook. (Yeah, I know he played for Bevel in Minnie, but still.) I wouldn't mess with that at all. As to dumping McQ, again, bad idea. I'd like to maintain the continuity in the O-line as much as possible.

Salary cap numbers are always a bit shady this time of year, and nobody really knows until after the draft and first camps happen so we get a picture of who the 80 or so guys going into camp are.

The whole 'draft evaluation' chart and philosophy needs to be re-calibrated anyway since the new CBA. So called reaches are much less of a gamble with the rookie salary structure in place. Now you can make that first round pick without selling the team's soul for the next five years. Value in the later rounds is much more rationalized, too, as players drop to their natural draft level more so than in the past. But even with that, nobody can mine gold out of the later rounds like Schneider has done recently. He's the man when it comes to player acquisition.

No need to dump Rice or Miller. The reason Winfield chose Seattle was likely because of our FO's loyalty to players and because of POOR MANAGEMENT DECISIONS on the part of Spielman. This is a business but Seattle's FO understands that business needs to be conducted with intelligence and sensitivity. Spielman clearly didn't understand this part when he cut Winfield (a loyal Viking and all-pro veteran corner) without attempting to restructure his contract and on a day he came in to train. If anything Seattle would likely restructure their salaries as they would want to stay here. Rice has been like a big brother to Percy. He was a beast in 2009 and it's scary to think that player will emerge once again this time for the Hawks. His ability to make difficult catches and his catch radius just can't be replaced by anyone on the current roster. He is finally healthy and now becomes more dangerous paired with his versatile buddy Harvin and an emerging star in Tate.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
brettb3":2ezbf5x3 said:

Sorry, let me clarify.

Excited on the new signing!

Our draft position and the picks we have are bad. Really bad when compared to our direct nfc west opponents. It is likely that the Seahawks will improve less through the draft than SF, Rams, AZ.

better?

ErikG803

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":259nvjw8 said:
brettb3":259nvjw8 said:

Sorry, let me clarify.

Our draft position and the picks we have are bad. Really bad when compared to our direct nfc west opponents. It is likely that the Seahawks will improve less through the draft than SF, Rams, AZ.

better?

I don't think that's fair to say when the only real reason for surmising that is because we used draft capital to get Percy Harvin. When you consider him part of the draft haul it's less likely all 3 teams blow us away in the draft.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":2vzn658z said:
brettb3":2vzn658z said:

Sorry, let me clarify.

better?

Most of our team is under 25 years old. Contrast that to the niners who are closer to thirty or more. They need to hit on almost every one of those five picks in the first three rounds to remain relevant after their veterans retire.

amill87

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":1is7sqd7 said:

The Niners have one of the best draft values of the non lottery teams with an astonishing five picks in the first three rounds and 14 total, the Rams thanks to the RGIII trade are sitting pretty with two mid first round picks. Arizona no longer needs to waste their 7th overall pick on a QB cuourtesy of the Seahawks gifting Matt Flynn to Oakland.

No offense but that is an awful way to look at things. I bet that site would've calculated Wilson and Irvin to not be "value" picks.

Value in the draft can't be predetermined. Anyone who says otherwise is someone trying to make money off their predictions. Each team will have different views of value depending on their roster and salary cap.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Niners fans and Falcons fans can talk all they want about their drafting opportunities and how Harvin is overrated. Closest thing to a Percy Harvin is Tavon Auston and he's a smaller, weaker, less proven commodity compared to Harvin. It was a great exchange for the 25th pick and change. His salary is even below what was initially estimated. On top of it all the playmaker is HAPPY and MOTIVATED.

Perfundle

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":uz7opxcb said:
You realize Seattle has already outpaced the rest of the division in free agency, and that is why they don't need to rely on the draft as much?

Arizona no longer needs to waste their 7th overall pick on a QB courtesy of the Seahawks gifting Matt Flynn to Oakland.
By "gifting" Flynn to Oakland they freed up cash to sign Winfield. Why are you completely severing the link between free agency and the draft?

vonstout

Reaction score
Agree with Harvin, but I was disappointed that we had to give up what we did to get him. I live near Madison and have several friends that are Vikes fans. The rumor around here was that his trade value was dropping and he could be had for a second rounder at most. I called one of my good friends when the trade was announced and he said "what did we get, a third rounder?". I think he is a great fit for us, but I think we gave up more than we needed to to get him. I think SF drove the price up. The additional third round pick was too much, IMO.

I thought we would get a flip of second or third rounders in the Flynn trade, but hopefully we can turn the fifth rounders into gold again.

Status
Not open for further replies.