Winfield agreed in principle - 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

zayden185

Reaction score
DavidSeven said:
Excited that he agreed to just a one year deal. Was worried that interest from other teams and extra push from Vikings might have upped it to a 2 year gig.

Good stuff.[/quote2 years

I'd be ok with 2 years..3 million-1M guaranteed??

That's nothing for a solid vet like that,even with our guys to sign next year

DavidSeven

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":2ty180je said:
brettb3":2ty180je said:
I have rarely been more baffled by a message board post than I am by this one.

Sorry, let me clarify.

Excited on the new signing!

Our draft position and the picks we have are bad. Really bad when compared to our direct nfc west opponents. It is likely that the Seahawks will improve less through the draft than SF, Rams, AZ.

better?

The thing that's not really dawning on you is that Seattle could whiff on all ten of these picks and still have the most loaded roster on paper in the NFL. The draft is a bowl of cherries at this point.

bigcc

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":2emyaoqa said:
Ah, then Winfield will probably see about 70% of snaps then. On paper you guys have little to no holes but it's one of those things where you just have to wait and see how they perform before you crown em'.

you can say that about any team thats ever played any sport...... brilliant insight

volsunghawk

Reaction score
vonstout":2dv2py8y said:
Agree with Harvin, but I was disappointed that we had to give up what we did to get him. I live near Madison and have several friends that are Vikes fans. The rumor around here was that his trade value was dropping and he could be had for a second rounder at most. I called one of my good friends when the trade was announced and he said "what did we get, a third rounder?". I think he is a great fit for us, but I think we gave up more than we needed to to get him. I think SF drove the price up. The additional third round pick was too much, IMO.

I thought we would get a flip of second or third rounders in the Flynn trade, but hopefully we can turn the fifth rounders into gold again.

No offense intended, but I think this is an excellent example of how we often overvalue our own players and undervalue other teams' players.

Harvin was on a blistering pace early last season and is one of the game's top playmakers when healthy. That's not 2nd or 3rd round pick territory. And when Minnesota actually started shopping him, multiple teams were interested, hence the price increased. I wouldn't be surprised of the rumors about Harvin's trade value dropping were started by the Vikes themselves to get suitors into the game.

As for Flynn, he was never worth what many folks here believed he was. Even teams with decision makers familiar with Flynn seemed lukewarm on him. The Raiders (headed by ex GB front office guy, Reggie McKenzie) gave up a couple of future lower round picks, and Flynn's OC in GB wasn't willing to give Flynn a starting caliber offer (or starting guarantee).

djb28

Reaction score
For all the Vikings haters I see on here they sure are happy about obtaining their players.. :sarcasm_on: :sarcasm_off: :stirthepot: :sarcasm_off:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
volsunghawk":19q5nebr said:
As for Flynn, he was never worth what many folks here believed he was. Even teams with decision makers familiar with Flynn seemed lukewarm on him. The Raiders (headed by ex GB front office guy, Reggie McKenzie) gave up a couple of future lower round picks, and Flynn's OC in GB wasn't willing to give Flynn a starting caliber offer (or starting guarantee).

Also, Idzik and Bradley went to QB desperate teams and neither made a serious play for Flynn. Says a lot. Market for him was dead, and honestly, I think the team was more eager to unload him than they let on (for both cap and possibly QB room issues).

We got Winfield and two fifths in exchange for trading away Flynn. Can't complain about that haul.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":1mam2qs1 said:
brettb3":1mam2qs1 said:

Sorry, let me clarify.

Our draft position and the picks we have are bad. Really bad when compared to our direct nfc west opponents. It is likely that the Seahawks will improve less through the draft than SF, Rams, AZ.

better?

I don't get how anybody who follows the Hawks can say this after the way PC/JS have drafted after the first round. Look at the guys they've drafted;
Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner, Sherman, Chancellor, KJ Wright, Golden Tate, Moffitt, Jeremy Lane, Sweezy, WT3

The number of picks and how high you get picked means nothing when your not good at drafting. Niners first round receiver last year had zero catches, they've done a great job drafting in the last decade but thats proof you never really know what exactly caliber players your getting until the game is played. I wouldn't judge the draft positions until you see what the picks actually become

SE174

Reaction score
vonstout":2pap0mnm said:
Agree with Harvin, but I was disappointed that we had to give up what we did to get him. I live near Madison and have several friends that are Vikes fans. The rumor around here was that his trade value was dropping and he could be had for a second rounder at most. I called one of my good friends when the trade was announced and he said "what did we get, a third rounder?". I think he is a great fit for us, but I think we gave up more than we needed to to get him. I think SF drove the price up. The additional third round pick was too much, IMO.

I thought we would get a flip of second or third rounders in the Flynn trade, but hopefully we can turn the fifth rounders into gold again.

Highlighted for emphasis.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
ErikG803":2hi8n5oi said:
seahawksTopGear":2hi8n5oi said:
brettb3":2hi8n5oi said:

Sorry, let me clarify.

better?

I don't think that's fair to say when the only real reason for surmising that is because we used draft capital to get Percy Harvin. When you consider him part of the draft haul it's less likely all 3 teams blow us away in the draft.

It is not the only reason. The Seahawks had one of the worst draft capital in the NFL even with ten picks.

If you took all of the draft picks the Seahawks had and plugged them into this chart http://www.drafttek.com/tradechart.html you would end up with one of the lowest aggregate number for any team, let alone SF, Rams and AZ which actually have fairly high draft aggregate numbers.

Signings like Winfield and having people wanting to come here for less than other teams are willing to pay them are crucial for the Seahawks in the next few years.

drdiags

Reaction score
djb28":1luku2hk said:
For all the Vikings haters I see on here they sure are happy about obtaining their players.. :sarcasm_on: :sarcasm_off: :stirthepot: :sarcasm_off:

If they had been involved in allowing or making a low end move work for the Vikings org, then they can pound sand. It wasn't the players who came off as dips. It was Wilf and Spielman (Childress is gone, Frasier probably didn't have a voice).

bigcc

Reaction score
vonstout":338h34kd said:

would you rather he join the 9ers???? At the cost we got him, its a full win as far as im concerned...... if you don't believe me I can go further into detail

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":xwit8ec3 said:
Niners fans and Falcons fans can talk all they want about their drafting opportunities and how Harvin is overrated. Closest thing to a Percy Harvin is Tavon Auston and he's a smaller, weaker, less proven commodity compared to Harvin. It was a great exchange for the 25th pick and change. His salary is even below what was initially estimated. On top of it all the playmaker is HAPPY and MOTIVATED.

I agree, Percy Harvin was a steal for the Seahawks. Not only because his salary is nowhere near as high as people feared but because it easily saved us three to four million dollars on free agent signings this off season.

No way we get the haul we do this off season for the price we did without the Harvin trade.

To the person saying that the value of the pick position has nothing to do with the value of the player picked. I agree that John and Pete have been turning low picks into gold. What I am trying to say is that I hope they do that this draft too, they have less to work with than the competition.

nategreat

Reaction score
It's not about "draft pick value," it's about what you do with those picks.... simple as that. And Pete and John, every year they have been here, have proven they can do A LOT with those picks, regardless of round. So I don't buy into this draft "value" nonsense. We have just as good of chance at putting together a good draft as San Francisco, or any other team with good draft "value," based on who we have at the helm. Late round "luck" or "magic" is no longer luck or magic if it happens every year. At this point it becomes skill.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
And it's going to be hard to evaluate how good a draft this year will have been either right after or years later, because no matter who they draft, it's going to be really hard for any rookies to break into this team. Doesn't mean the draft was bad, just means the team is so stocked up with talent.

chris98251

Reaction score
They picks we have made that EXPERTS said were reaches or had issues that have been to the pro bowl or are league leaders in stat catagories is enough of a reason to give our front office the kudos for knowing what kind of player fits with what they want to do. Player rankings based on a set defined criteria made by experts that make a living off of hyping themsleves and not in the NFL are just that Hype.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
vonstout":3791m5md said:

Kind of a Debbie downer type mentality. Based on your thought process we should have let Harvin go to another team so we could keep the 25th pick, 7th and next years 3rd, essentially comparable to trading up to the #20 spot. So would you rather have the 20th pick in this draft or Harvin?

Draft value charts are meaningless in your analysis. It doesn't mean we would be a better team if we had the 1st and 7th or even the 20th pick unless you become a better team because of it and not only is there no guarantee of that but a strong likelihood we would not.

How would you feel if we didn't make the deal and the Niners traded for Harvin and to follow that up we trade up to 20 and grab a guy who sees limited playing time and becomes just a rotational player like many #20 picks do?

You have a very good idea of what you get with Harvin and the draft only provides hope that a player will become that impactful (is that a word?) but realistically an extremely low number actually do. It is very possible that Harvin's career from here forward is more productive than any player coming out of this draft at all. Isn't that worth the 20th pick?

HawkWow

Reaction score
vonstout":2he5p4z7 said:

With no disrespect to you (I like your avatar), I can only assume your friends are coming off a long, hard winter and have yet to mentally thaw. An easy way to evaluate the worth of the 24 yr old Harvin would be to first consider what it would take to move from pick 25 to the #1 spot in this draft. I have little doubt Harvin would be the 1st player selected in 2013 and there is no way we could have moved from 25 to 1 for our 1st and 2 3rds.

It would likely take 2 1sts and a 3rd (or more) to do so. Considering Harvin was a player of need for us...if you use the Jimmy Johnson value guide, it is more likely that we actually underpaid for his services. Of course, time will be the judge of that.

I too have Viking friends ( I like Purple) and they also spew such madness. But you don't have to dig too deep to see that they are resentful and felt burned by Harvin. I understand their frustration and would likely be saying the same if I were them.

jake206

Reaction score
I dub thee Master "Mace" Winfield! :mrgreen: May the force be with you.

hawk45

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":3i4aszlf said:
Russ Willstrong":3i4aszlf said:
Niners fans and Falcons fans can talk all they want about their drafting opportunities and how Harvin is overrated. Closest thing to a Percy Harvin is Tavon Auston and he's a smaller, weaker, less proven commodity compared to Harvin. It was a great exchange for the 25th pick and change. His salary is even below what was initially estimated. On top of it all the playmaker is HAPPY and MOTIVATED.

I agree, Percy Harvin was a steal for the Seahawks. Not only because his salary is nowhere near as high as people feared but because it easily saved us three to four million dollars on free agent signings this off season.

No way we get the haul we do this off season for the price we did without the Harvin trade.

To the person saying that the value of the pick position has nothing to do with the value of the player picked. I agree that John and Pete have been turning low picks into gold. What I am trying to say is that I hope they do that this draft too, they have less to work with than the competition.

This would worry me if the team wasn't both extremely young and extremely complete. You're going to have years where you don't have a sackful of draft picks to burn, especially when you (rightfully) perceive that your window is now and so are a little more active in free agency.

You pretty much cannot ask for more in terms of positioning when you have youth, aren't killing your cap, are hitting the jackpot on all your late round draft picks, and are coming off a playoff run. Who gives a rat's behind if we don't have the best "draft capital" this year. It's part of a deliberate plan. Let's go get the trophy before we worry about reloading here.

The Niners have a lot of draft capital, that's great, they need it a lot more than we do because their core players are a lot older than ours.

vonstout

Reaction score
I'm obviously not explaining myself well.

First off, I am thrilled with getting Harvin. He's one of my PPR keepers and I think he can be even better in Seattle. But even though he is a great talent, he was a cancer in the locker room. They put him on IR because of his attitude, not his ankle. He hasn't been a very mature guy in the NFL. I'm sure you hear a lot of NFC west news that I don't hear. Likewise, being in southern Wisconsin, I hear all NFC North stuff. My point is, lots of NFL radio and TV shows talked about what it would take to get Harvin in a trade. That's the "rumor" I was referring to. He also was said to be wanting Megatron type money. I'm sure SF wanted Harvin. He is the type of WR that kills the Hawks. My point was that I was surprised we had to give up as much as we did. Getting that much for a player that said he didn't want to play in Minn any more was a surprise. They ended up with Greg Jennings (UFA), our picks, + some cap space for Harvin.

I was also surprised that the Vikes didn't ask for Flynn as part of the deal. I agree Flynn wasn't wanted anywhere in the league. We obviously didn't want him either. That being the case, our front office has to be questioned for giving him the deal they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.