pehawk

Reaction score
28.3 is the highest points per game the Seahawks have ever averaged. What are the chances they surpass that in 2013-14?

I'm putting the chances at a cool 60%.

I think it's foolish to assume Pete WONT throw the ball more; of course he will. He's not going to squander the gift Muhammad bestowed him, Russell. Plus, Irvin, Wagner, Avril, Wright will DESTROY with a 10+ point lead. Speed kills with the lead.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
60%? Why are you hating on the Seahawks so much? I'd put it at 95%+. Even if we run the exact same run-first offense, we have Percy Harvin and we won't spend the first 7 games of the year with training wheels on Wilson. It's virtually guaranteed we'll be 30+ points per game average, especially since we have an easier schedule this year.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Well we have 6 games against the toughest defensive division in football and we averaged 25.8 in those games last year: 11.7 in the first 3 games and 40 in the last 3 games... I like the trend.

themunn

Reaction score
We would beat that with an extra field goal per game this year over last year.
Also we averaged 34 points per game in the final 8 games. Now it'd be insane to think that means we will definitely beat our record as a result, however only three of the 13 teams we faced last year did not finish in the top 20 in points allowed.

SF - 2nd
Chicago - 3rd
Miami - 7th
New England - 9th
Green Bay - 11th
Minnesota - 14th
St Louis - 14th
Arizona - 17th
Carolina - 18th
New York Jets - 20th

The question is how did we perform against them when compared to their average?

Arizona A - -6.3
Dallas - +2
Green Bay - -7
St Louis - -8.8
Carolina - -6.7
New England - +3.3
San Francisco - -11.1
Detroit - -3.3
Minnesota - +8.2
NY Jets - +4.6
Miami - +1.2
Chicago - +5.7
Arizona - +35.7
Buffalo - +22.8
San Francisco - +24.9
St Louis - +1.8

Now what does this say? Well, apart from that fact that clearly the full implementation of the Read-Option late Chicago sky rocketed us from a team that had improved from a below average offense to an above average offense immediately into a top offense. And yes the Rams game brought us back down to earth a bit, but despite starting slow we scored on all but one drive in the second half (where Wilson/Baldwin had a 49 yard pass on 3-9 wiped out by a 10 yard penalty by McCoy that surely would have resulted in another score otherwise).

I think we break 30. I don't know if we challenge for the 2007 Pats record of 589 points in a season (36.8 ppg), but whereas last year had 10 opponents in the top 20 for points allowed, this year we have 10 in the bottom 20, with the three in the top 12 the Niners, Texans and Falcons, two of whom we put by 42 and 28 points against in the final weeks of the season/playoffs last season.

Guardian

Reaction score
I'll say our offense averages 3.5 TDs, our defense averages .5 TDs, and our kicker averages 1.5 FGs per game. Let's see, that's... 32.5 ppg.

Floridahawk79

Reaction score
How many of those games will be over by the start of the 4th Quarter? Will "4th quarter Thiggy" add to the total points?
Questions...Questions...Questions.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I agree. Pete likes balance, the best offenses are the one's that can both shove it down your throat with the run as well as throw it effectively. We threw it 25 times on average last year. I'm willing to wager alot that that number will be in the 30-32 range.

If you look at the passing attempts for last year - half of the season into 2 situations:

A) The offense sputtered as it developed and couldn't stay on the field ( x<25 attempts) - GB, SF (in SF), STL (in SEA)
B) The team was so balanced that a beatdown was developing. Limiting throw ( x<25 attempts)- DAL, NYJ, AZ, BUFF, SF .

That's 8 games with less than 25 attempts, and in most cases we didn't need to attempt more passes. We had another 3 games with 24-25 attempts in closely contested games- MINN, CAR, STL (in STL)

Unless the offense, defense, and Special teams is super efficient (like in the blowout games) than I can't imagine SEA not averaging 30 or more passes next year.

drdiags

Reaction score
I would tend to think they wouldn't top that number. Then I think about the teams they are going to be playing next year. The NFCS and AFCS tend to play more high-scoring games. I am doubtful that the Seahawks will be dropping 50 on fools this year but I expect them to be much better across the season instead of the late season spike they had last year.

This will be the first season that Pete has a returning starter at QB. I hope this means he doesn't have to do his usual ramp up with opening up the offense he has done the first 3 years here. I imagine he trusts Wilson based on last year results. I just don't know since I have witnessed how Pete handles a returning starter at QB in the Pros.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
That 05 offense was fluid and beautiful thing to watch, but I say we break their record this year.

Reason being our defense now is so much better than the 05 team and will get the ball back for Percy, Russell and the Beast.

You give Wilson more chances, you score more points.

Sac

Reaction score
Our division is getting stronger, but on the whole the NFC and AFC South, the divisions we play this year, have weaker defenses than the ones we played last year. I think our scoring average goes up.

I also think we finish #1 in points allowed this year as well. Outside of ATL, NO and HOU, we're not playing any offensive juggernauts.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":pwm79ecy said:
Famous last words, Jim. I'm as confident as anyone heading into the season, but you just never know. there's a lot of factors at work, and while the Seahawks DEFINITELY have had a net improvement so far, until we see them out on the field, we don't know how it's going to go. I'll bet the Eagles fans of two years ago were saying the same things. They know better now.

Having said all of that, 60% is too low. 75% for me.

Calm down, Peachfuzz. Of course we don't know for sure, but assuming we don't have an abnormally bad set of injuries, it's a given we'll exceed last year's offensive numbers. Rookie year for QB, training wheels on him the first 7 games, ridiculously conservative play-calling in the first halves of many of our games, and no true #1 WR. Add up improvements to all of that along with a number of softer teams on our schedule, and like I said, it's almost guaranteed short of a lot of injuries.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
I think the important thing is we can expect to score in every game, which are things we had legitimate concerns about with Charlie Whitehurst and Tarvaris Jackson as our QB duo.

A

Anonymous

Good topic, Pe. :th2thumbs:

And before I forget, congrats on reaching 1000 posts, themunn, way to be!

Taking a peek at what we have going on right now, I can't help but be pretty excited about the possibilities. I think we could very well set some new records. I agree when folks say that the Percy acquisition is quite a bit more than just filling a gap. (Where was that gap anyway?) The completenes of his game is such that if he stays healthy and motivated, there is no telling what dimensions our offense can venture into.

That said, I'm taking a real look at our scheduled opponents and though there are some clearly "score-on-able" opponents there, I also see some games that will be interesting. Teams have changed things up on defense as well. Not to the degree we have, but enough went on around the league to make things, well... interesting. We will be able to run, pass, and do freaky new things to every team we face.

I say a conservative 38.6 is very doable.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2y4g10hi said:
Peachfuzz is it? Mods, please move this to the shack so that I can give James a proper bollocking. thanks.

You've been whipping out the "Jim" as of late, so I figured I'd start responding in kind. 8)

Also, my goal for this season is to average 36.9 points per game or more. Why that or higher, you ask? Because, the current NFL record set by the Patriots in their 16-0 regular season is 36.8 points per game. :D

I want to average 40 per game for the season. Set a new record that will never be broken. *flex*

chris98251

Reaction score
I don't care if we average 12 points a game, as long as it is 1 point more then who we play all the way to the super bowl.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
chris98251":90zaxos9 said:
UNLIKE ANY OF YOU I don't care if we average 12 points a game, as long as it is 1 point more then who we play all the way to the super bowl.

Fixed it for ya, BFS.

chris98251

Reaction score
Oh ok since this thread is about averageing 28.3 points, 90 percent no, we get leads and the defense will be better and we run the ball more, Pete throws from behind and runs when ahead.

From now on I guess I have to make sure I clear what I post with the elitist of the website.