Doug Baldwin to be traded? (Colts, speculation)

nfcwizard

Reaction score
"Heard the rumors today. And after talking to my agent and Seahawks management I highly, highly doubt those rumors were true. I'm a seahawk! Lets keep it that way" He is staying

kearly

Reaction score
I don't think Irsay was talking about Baldwin. That's not the type of addition worth teasing the public over.

I do think trading Baldwin makes sense. He's very likely at his peak value right now since he'll be a #4 WR next year. Seattle doesn't have to trade him, he's cheap this year and relatively cheap the year after that (RFA tag), but if Seattle wants a decent pick in return for Baldwin, now is probably the time to shop him. Especially since a 3rd or 4th this year feels a lot like a 2nd round pick most other years with the draft being so loaded in 2013.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I actually think that if (big 'if') the Hawks and Colts are indeed in discussions about a trade for a WR (going to Indy), that it's in regards to Golden Tate and not Doug Baldwin. That would seem to make more sense on both sides, would be the bigger name that Irsay alluded to, and would entail a more complicated negotiation in terms of what Seattle would receive in return (not to mention a possible contract extension for Tate with the Colts), and it would coincide with the timing that Irsay alluded to last night when he mentioned that they'd been working on it for "5 days," which would back-date to last Monday, the day the Harvin trade was agreed to.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kearly":1r9q4tcp said:
I do think trading Baldwin makes sense. He's very likely at his peak value right now since he'll be a #4 WR next year. Seattle doesn't have to trade him, he's cheap this year and relatively cheap the year after that (RFA tag), but if Seattle wants a decent pick in return for Baldwin, now is probably the time to shop him. Especially since a 3rd or 4th this year feels a lot like a 2nd round pick most other years with the draft being so loaded in 2013.

Disagree. Doug is outperforming his contract. You don't trade away value. Does not make sense to trade him for a 3rd just for the privilege of paying MORE for what you can only hope is the same production.

Doug may technically be #4 on receiver depth, but Harvin isn't a prototypical WR and Doug is going to be featured heavily in our offense next year.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
It all depends on whether you want to keep Tate next year. There is currently no way we can pay both Tate and Baldwin when they are due. Getting something for Baldwin this year may be better than having him walk for nothing in two.

For me Tate has a lot to prove now that Percin is in the team. I see it more likely we keep Baldwin for two and let Tate walk next year.
It is clear that now that rookies are cheap teams are not going to overpay in free agency. So maybe letting Tate walk will work out for us.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I love Baldwin. But I can't imagine any scenario where we get a 3rd back for him.

Undrafted 2 years ago, Good rookie year, average if not dissapointing 2nd year. I dont think he has much value. 5th round return at best, imo.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
This all doesn't take into account injuries. What are the odds our WRs make it through the season without missing any games? Somewhere between 0 and nil. I'd rather have Baldwin ready to step in more than any other option I could think of. That right there is reason enough for me to not want to trade him.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
For Baldwin it's all about what you could get for him and if that is preferred over having him for depth for the season for little money, a restricted season for below average money, plus his compensatory pick value after that. For Seattle, that's probably a mid 3rd rounder or better and I'm not sure he could fetch that.

getnasty

Reaction score
I like Doug but if you can get a 3rd for him which could turn into a WR with much higher upside (Baily,Swope,Patton). I'd do that trade all day long, at the same time i doubt he goes anywhere and i'd be fine with that too.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1oe0u0hb said:
kearly":1oe0u0hb said:

Disagree. Doug is outperforming his contract. You don't trade away value. Does not make sense to trade him for a 3rd just for the privilege of paying MORE for what you can only hope is the same production.

Doug may technically be #4 on receiver depth, but Harvin isn't a prototypical WR and Doug is going to be featured heavily in our offense next year.
Hope to get the same production? Have you actually looked at Baldwin's production?

This seems to be a case in fans overvaluing their own players. I would LOVE it if we could get a 4th for Baldwin but that might be a stretch. Honestly, Badlwin is good-ish value for us as a 4th, but way better value to us if we could trade him for a 4th round pick.

Baldwin's rookie year, he way out produced his UDFA status, but last year? He was just a guy, if that.

chris98251

Reaction score
Baldwin's rookie year, he way out produced his UDFA status, but last year? He was just a guy, if that.

He got his upper bridge knocked out and a dislocated or broken clavicle and still was out there on the field making plays where people like many who want to throw him out the door would have issues just jerking themselves off.

Tate is the guy that will cost more, he is also the guy that if he performed up to status would not have had Percy here to contend with. Baldwin gets open, Baldwin catches with his hands and not his body as much which on third downs is a more consistent receiver.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":gganuwpt said:
Hope to get the same production? Have you actually looked at Baldwin's production?

Yes. Have you watched the games or are you blindly making judgments based on stat sheets? I'm not interested in assessing value based on pure numbers accumulated in a run-first, spread-it-around offense. Not saying he's a pro-bowler, but the eye-ball test says he's a deep threat from the slot and sure-handed all over the field. Ridiculous to think there's any assurance that a fourth round rookie WR would be the same weapon in the next two seasons.

"Just a guy" doesn't make those plays against New England and San Francisco. Just sayin'.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Baldwin is a very good receiver who has had injury issues through college and again last year. He is also never going to tilt the field. When healthy he is definitely an above average receiver that was screwed by how Harbaugh handled him in college and coming out and who otherwise would have been drafted.

All that said we are not done at the WR position. Meaning we are still searching for more guys that can tilt the field and as good as Baldwin can be, he doesn't and never will be a player (like Harvin or potentially Tate) that tilts the field. For that reason I wouldn't have a problem with a trade but only because I am confident in PC/JS finding guys that are capable of tilting the field. Adding draft picks doesn't mean you have to draft guys from that round. It means you have draft ammo to move around in the draft and get who you want.

Baldwin is one of my favorite Seahawks and I love the idea of lining him up in the slot with Rice and Tate on the outside and Harvin coming out of the backfield. Who the hell do you cover? Add Miller in there and it looks pretty unstoppable. All that said he still doesn't tilt the field. He is reliable and while reliable is nice it isn't what you ultimately want.

I'm rambling but as much as I would love to keep him and I'm happy with what we have now in our WR corps I also would hate to see Bladwin get buried on our depth charts because I feel he (like Flynn) deserves to be a starter in this league and while greed would love to keep them here for the just in case factor, being a fan of the player makes me want the best for them as individuals as well. That and I believe that PC/JS will eventually make this WR group the best in the league to compliment Wilson and to achieve that you will unfortunately see guys you love and respect move on to other ventures.

Keep in mind that bad decisions don't seem to last long here. Trading Josh Wilson seemed dreadful, moving Simms was an obviously bad idea, trading for Whitehurst will set the team back 5 years, letting Haselbeck walk will cost them their jobs on and on. All these decisions that might have seemed to some or many like the biggest mistakes in football haven't held this team back in the least. Rather have created opportunities for others to come in and prove to be as good or better while being at the age we are looking for.

Either way I am ok. It's the old hate to see you go but love to watch you walk away scenario. Would really miss him but would be equally excited for what move will be made to (like always) upgrade the position.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1mw6v3yh said:
Hawkfan77":1mw6v3yh said:

Yes. Have you watched the games or are you blindly making judgments based on stat sheets? I'm not interested in assessing value based on pure numbers accumulated in a run-first, spread-it-around offense. Not saying he's a pro-bowler, but the eye-ball test says he's a deep threat from the slot and sure-handed all over the field. Ridiculous to think there's any assurance that a fourth round rookie WR would be the same weapon in the next two seasons.

"Just a guy" doesn't make those plays against New England and San Francisco. Just sayin'.

Gotta agree with Davidseven here. If you think stats represent the quality of WR Baldwin is then you haven't watched the guy play. We like to say Tarvaris Jackson was tough but come on, compared to Baldwin Jackson is a girl scout. The man is purely fearless with amazing focus and above average talent.

The problem is he is also often injured because of it. It is also why you cannot rely on his stats to tell you the Doug Baldwin story. Make no mistake, the guy has the focus of Steve Largent. If he were a little less reckless (and in the right system) he could possibly end up having a similar career to Steve. Truth is Harbaugh really screwed the pooch on Baldwin because he was close friends with Sherman. If Harbaugh gives him the opportunities he deserves and doesn't sell him short to draft scouts, he is either a Niner right now or someones 4th/5th round pick and making a name for himself in the league. He will get paid and if he lands in the right system and learns to protect himself, he will get paid well.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1xilzis8 said:
DavidSeven":1xilzis8 said:
kearly":1xilzis8 said:

This seems to be a case in fans overvaluing their own players. I would LOVE it if we could get a 4th for Baldwin but that might be a stretch. Honestly, Badlwin is good-ish value for us as a 4th, but way better value to us if we could trade him for a 4th round pick.

:13: and in Seattle this happens a ton for some reason.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
RichNhansom":kwm6uaqp said:
Gotta agree with Davidseven here. If you think stats represent the quality of WR Baldwin is then you haven't watched the guy play. We like to say Tarvaris Jackson was tough but come on, compared to Baldwin Jackson is a girl scout. The man is purely fearless with amazing focus and above average talent.

The problem is he is also often injured because of it. It is also why you cannot rely on his stats to tell you the Doug Baldwin story. Make no mistake, the guy has the focus of Steve Largent. If he were a little less reckless (and in the right system) he could possibly end up having a similar career to Steve. Truth is Harbaugh really screwed the pooch on Baldwin because he was close friends with Sherman. If Harbaugh gives him the opportunities he deserves and doesn't sell him short to draft scouts, he is either a Niner right now or someones 4th/5th round pick and making a name for himself in the league. He will get paid and if he lands in the right system and learns to protect himself, he will get paid well.
Doug Baldwin posts here?!

But seriously though, yes I have watched him play, so just stop right there. We are talking about production, what did Baldwin bring to the table last year?