Doug Baldwin to be traded? (Colts, speculation)

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Tate had 7 TD catches in his first year with Wilson, and an obvious chemistry. Lets see what we get this year before we decide he's not living up. I love DB, but I don't think I'd want him above GT.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
To all of you wanting to trade Our man Baldwin: Stop Rosterbating.

MrCarey

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1n7ur44m said:
DavidSeven":1n7ur44m said:
Doug is going to be featured heavily in our offense next year.

You know this how?

Well, you see, he had a ton of TDs on my most recent season of Madden.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":33ub5eaa said:
DavidSeven":33ub5eaa said:

You know this how?

Don't know. Just my feeling given the variety of places Harvin can line up on the field and the way Seattle rotates its players.

Wasn't intended to be anymore a statement of fact than those who say the Seahawks are going to great next year, Harvin will be a great fit in our offense, etc.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Even if we aren't being optimistic about what his production will be, there's still not much reason to believe his trade value will exceed his value to us by enough to warrant a trade.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3m96dc0g said:
I actually think that if (big 'if') the Hawks and Colts are indeed in discussions about a trade for a WR (going to Indy), that it's in regards to Golden Tate and not Doug Baldwin. That would seem to make more sense on both sides, would be the bigger name that Irsay alluded to, and would entail a more complicated negotiation in terms of what Seattle would receive in return (not to mention a possible contract extension for Tate with the Colts), and it would coincide with the timing that Irsay alluded to last night when he mentioned that they'd been working on it for "5 days," which would back-date to last Monday, the day the Harvin trade was agreed to.

Tate would make sense as he had his best season to date, he is coming up on FA next year and I already figure we will let him walk because we will have Baldwin for cheap and Tate is not that much better. This is a deep WR draft and we could add a more prototypical big WR for the outside. I was wanting to draft one anyways to uprade over Tate so if we can trade him I'll be happy. This reminds me of the Josh Wilson trade some. That is if it does happen.

Do you think it is for a player or for draft picks. I hope at a min it's for a 3rd next year and a swap of 3rd's this year.

Escamillo

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":21ywvsz1 said:
RichNhansom":21ywvsz1 said:
Gotta agree with Davidseven here. If you think stats represent the quality of WR Baldwin is then you haven't watched the guy play. We like to say Tarvaris Jackson was tough but come on, compared to Baldwin Jackson is a girl scout. The man is purely fearless with amazing focus and above average talent.

The problem is he is also often injured because of it. It is also why you cannot rely on his stats to tell you the Doug Baldwin story. Make no mistake, the guy has the focus of Steve Largent. If he were a little less reckless (and in the right system) he could possibly end up having a similar career to Steve. Truth is Harbaugh really screwed the pooch on Baldwin because he was close friends with Sherman. If Harbaugh gives him the opportunities he deserves and doesn't sell him short to draft scouts, he is either a Niner right now or someones 4th/5th round pick and making a name for himself in the league. He will get paid and if he lands in the right system and learns to protect himself, he will get paid well.
Doug Baldwin posts here?!

But seriously though, yes I have watched him play, so just stop right there. We are talking about production, what did Baldwin bring to the table last year?

You're being ridiculous. Watch the video referenced in the link below, and you'll have your answer:
49ers at Seahawks (12-23-12) full game on Youtube

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Baldwin has two more years of cost control, his rookie contract next year and then eligible for a RFA tender after that. I would keep him.

themunn

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":23s65pd9 said:
This seems to be a case in fans overvaluing their own players. I would LOVE it if we could get a 4th for Baldwin but that might be a stretch. Honestly, Badlwin is good-ish value for us as a 4th, but way better value to us if we could trade him for a 4th round pick.

Baldwin's rookie year, he way out produced his UDFA status, but last year? He was just a guy, if that.

4th round wide receiver production in 2012

Chris Givens (2012) - 42 catches, 698 yards, 3 TDs
Travis Benjamin (2012) - 18 catches, 298 yards, 2 TDs
Joe Adams (2012) - 1 catch, 7 yards. 0 TDs
Devon Wylie (2012) - 6 catches, 53 yards, 0 TDs
Jarius Wright (2012) - 22 catches, 310 yards, 2 TDs
Keshawn Martin (2012) - 10 catches, 85 yards, 1 TD
Nick Toon (2012) - IR
Greg Childs (2012) - IR
Kris Durham (2011) - 8 catches, 125 yards, 1 TD
Clyde Gates (2011) - 16 catches, 224 yards, 0 TDs
Greg Salas (2011) - 0 catches, 0 yards, 0 TDs
Cecil Shorts (2011) - 55 catches, 979 yards, 7 TDs
Tandon Doss (2011) - 7 catches, 123 yards, 1 TD
Mardy Gilyard (2010) - 2 catches, 15 yards, 0 TDs
Mike Williams (2010) – 63 catches, 996 yards, 9 TDs
Marcus Easley (2010) – 0 catches, 0 yards, 0 TDs
Jacoby Ford (2010) – IR
Mike Thomas (2009) – 18 catches, 108 yards, 1 TD
Brian Hartline (2009) – 74 catches, 1083 yards, 1 TD
Louis Murphy (2009) – 25 catches, 336 yards, 1 TD
Austin Collie (2009) – 1 catch, 6 yards, 0 TDs
William Franklin (2008) – Out of the league
Marcus Smith (2008) – Out of the league
Arman Shields (2008) – Out of the league
Lavelle Hawkins (2008) – 5 catches, 62 yards, 0 TDs
Keenan Burton (2008) – Out of the league

Doug Baldwin – 29 catches, 366 yards, 3 TDs
All this in an injured season with a reduced role and a rookie quarterback.
26 wide receivers have been drafted in the 4th round in the past 5 years. Doug Baldwin outproduced 23 of them. Two of the three that outproduced him are their teams number 1 receiver, and the third (Shorts), outproduced the so called “number 1” (Blackmon).

Clearly he has better value than a 4th round pick.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Doug Baldwin dropped the game winner against the Cardinals in week one. That catch would have given us the #2 seed and homefield.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Some people would trade Russell Wilson if it meant getting us a good draft pick.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":3uzm047v said:
Doug Baldwin dropped the game winner against the Cardinals in week one. That catch would have given us the #2 seed and homefield.
He also got his teeth knocked out on the play.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Scottemojo":296tx2u9 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":296tx2u9 said:

I know this, but that happened after the drop.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1mnspzjf said:
Scottemojo":1mnspzjf said:
CurryStopstheRuns":1mnspzjf said:

Nope. It happened on the jam he got from the corner at the line of scrimmage. Corner got his hands up under the facemask and hit Baldwin in the mouth. That corner knew not replacement ref was going to throw a flag at that moment.

jewhawk

Reaction score
There are really only three reasons to trade players:
1) Their roster spot is in jeopardy based on their (and their backups) performance
2) Their salary (or impending salary if their contract is up soon) is too high to justify keeping them
3) Another team offers something that provides more value than the player is worth

Obviously #1 and #2 don't apply to Baldwin so the team shouldn't be actively shopping him, and the only question is if the Colts would overpay for him. There's no reason to get rid of him for a mid-round pick.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Scottemojo":ssa8lo4z said:
CurryStopstheRuns":ssa8lo4z said:
Scottemojo":ssa8lo4z said:

Nope. It happened on the jam he got from the corner at the line of scrimmage. Corner got his hands up under the facemask and hit Baldwin in the mouth. That corner knew not replacement ref was going to throw a flag at that moment.

That is difficult to believe. To hit someone with that much force and have nobody notice seems a little out there. Seems like a convenient excuse.

edit: after watching the video, your claim is bs. Baldwin was not even jammed off of the line. The CB opened up and Baldwin went by him with minimal contact.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":6kpb1m78 said:
Scottemojo":6kpb1m78 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":6kpb1m78 said:

That is difficult to believe. To hit someone with that much force and have nobody notice seems a little out there. Seems like a convenient excuse.

edit: after watching the video, your claim is bs. Baldwin was not even jammed off of the line. The CB opened up and Baldwin went by him with minimal contact.
You are right, I got the story wrong. http://blog.seahawks.com/2012/09/12/wednesday-in-hawkville-baldwin-bounces-back-smiling/

His helmet got moved by the corner according to Baldwin, but it was the impact to the ground that broke the teeth. And Baldwin calls it a drop. My apologies.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2o5us1jj said:
Tech Worlds":2o5us1jj said:
DavidSeven":2o5us1jj said:

You know this how?

Don't know. Just my feeling given the variety of places Harvin can line up on the field and the way Seattle rotates its players.

Wasn't intended to be anymore a statement of fact than those who say the Seahawks are going to great next year, Harvin will be a great fit in our offense, etc.

Sorry, but I don't see why logically you could possibly feel the #4 WR on the depth chart would be featured heavily. That makes ZERO sense.