Seahawks inquire after Charles Woodson

mistaowen

Reaction score
He has to realize he isn't going to get a big paycheck and I'm assuming he wants one last ride to win it all again. He can play basically any position for us in the secondary which can free up some new looks. I'd love this move.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
bestfightstory":1ulexc0r said:
Did somebody mention Tru??

I just kind of ASSumed his days as a Hawk were over.

Between Lane, Thurmond and Maxwell aren't we fairly well covered already?

And ET will not be denied some reps at Nickle!! Haha

This is a bit off-topic, but from what I have seen, Lane is a much better outside corner. He can run stride-for-stride with #2WRs, at least, and he has an impressive leaping ability to fight at the point of attack for the football. We also know that he can hit a bit from his work as a gunner in PR, but maybe a bit more muscle will allow him to better jam the point of attack. I know that we think of our outside corners as needing to be six-feet or up to really work in this defense, but really if Lane can jam receivers consistently and make plays on the ball at the apex of his jump, he might - might - be a possible CB #2 replacement for Browner (though I would guess that he continues to be a rotational CB and a ST all-star).

Thurmond would be perfect for that position were he not an injury mess. Of course, we'll see if he can heal that knee and give at least twelve games out there next year.

Maxwell, if I recall correctly, was okay in the nickel slot the few times he played there, but he was a better outside corner as well.

In any case, if Woodson can effectively play nickel corner, he would be well worth it at the right price for this defense, as we have seen what happens when Thurmond is out - the slot receivers like Danny Amendola have their way with the Marcus Trufants of the world.

I don't know much about draft possibilities beyond what Field Gulls and Seahawks Draft Blog tell me, but I'm hoping that the second and third rounds will be filled with nickel corner possibilities, as we really are thin behind Thurmond.

Also, if Earl Thomas wants to play any position except for QB, let's throw him in there! Maybe he can spend some time as an assistant to the safeties coach while he's at it. :lol:

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
Expected this. I heard Pete already said Woodson would be a great addition to the team after he was released. Get him!

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Adding a few vets to this defense would improve some of those slow road starts and early playoff let downs, plus we'd have more leadership on D. I think Red is the defensive team leader and he isn't even on the field the whole time. Woodson ahs been there done that and caryr on the tradition of having a vetran in the DB group, Milloy and Trufant we great while here. Woodson will not break the bank and we do have about 15 Mil to throw around probably more. I will be dissapointed if we don't get at least one Old Vet for a short deal (Woodson, Abraham, Freeney, Osi, or Seymore) we are legitimate contenders and have only a few holes that have to be filled.

DE to hold it down untill Clemons is back
DT that can pass rush and stay healthier than J.Jones
CB nickel CB to replace Trufant
WLB to replace Hill

If we can address two of these needs in FA that really opens up or draft to select WR or TE early if the right guy is there.

Axx

Reaction score
woodson has stated he doesn't care about money, he just wants a team that can put him in the best position to win a super bowl.

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
Could do worse.. I wonder how much he is looking for per year?

I don't think we spend too much on him. Just an offer to play for a contender next year. :179422:

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I more on board with giving one of the younger guys more time at that position. Putting the competition thing to work with Lane, Maxwell and if Thurmond can just get healthy it is a non-issue.

These guys are just kids, with the exception of Browner who is really just starting his NFL career. I would be surprised if the Hawks really go after big name FA's. Any young player learning from the current group is going to know nothing but Seahawk Style. Hard core physical and in your face defense.

Woodson can play that way, but unless he wants to play Nickel, he won't displace any of the current roster spots.