Unfortunate event

YaktownHawK

Reaction score
As someone who is in the same field, and age my condolences go out to this man and his family. Good men are lost all the time due to understaffed jails and prisons. Its a sad thing when budget cuts and saving a buck outweighs the safety of the men who put there lives on the line to keep our streets safe. God bless this family from my family and a fellow 12th man!

The Radish

Reaction score
We have some Erics as members, hope this wasn't one of them. All you Erics check in please.

But Member or no, what a sad ending.

:les:

drdiags

Reaction score
Tough job. Single officer, working alone with 130 high-risk criminals with zero protection. Didn't know the region until I looked it up. This was in Pennsylvania. R.I.P Officer Williams

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
YaktownHawK":3qks1fg8 said:
As someone who is in the same field, and age my condolences go out to this man and his family. Good men are lost all the time due to understaffed jails and prisons. Its a sad thing when budget cuts and saving a buck outweighs the safety of the men who put there lives on the line to keep our streets safe. God bless this family from my family and a fellow 12th man!
Without turning this political......agree 100% with everything you said. Prayers to/for the family.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
This is just awful...I have several friends who are correction officers and all of them are feeling the crunch of understaffing and long hours. Tough gig. My condolences to his family.

Brahn

Reaction score
Godspeed Brother

Edited *for spelling correctness*

ivotuk

Reaction score
God Bless him and his family. I work in an area where men and women like him keep us safe, and we are always grateful for the stressful and risky work that they do.

Subzero717

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3tj8bos3 said:
Brahn":3tj8bos3 said:
God Speed Brother

What does this mean?? I have never understood it.

Were you born in the Dakotahs or something. How do you not know? :roll:

I dunno either but is actually quite popular around here.

Hawkboi

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3v32uv12 said:
Brahn":3v32uv12 said:
God Speed Brother

He obviously means that he hopes that Eric has a safe and fast trip to Heaven... Not a bad thing at all... God Speed, means a safe journey wherever....

Brahn

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3savr6le said:
Brahn":3savr6le said:
God Speed Brother

One needs only to use google on your posting machine to find the answer you seek with much more ease!

To wish someone Godspeed is to ask for God's blessings on his or her endeavor, most notably a long journey or a risky but potentially rewarding venture. Some view godspeed as a more reverent alternative to "good luck," which arguably introduces chance and randomness into the mix, not divine providence. One might wish Godspeed on a relative embarking on a long business trip overseas, for example.

The confusion over the meaning of Godspeed, which may also be rendered as god-speed or even goodspeed, lies in the definition of speed. The original meaning of the Old English word speed had nothing to do with velocity, but rather prosperity and good fortune. The addition of God to the concept of financial bounty may sound jarring at first, but the word Godspeed was an acknowledgment of God's generosity and blessing. Speed in that sense was the righteous acquisition of wealth and property through hard work and reverent behavior.

Some sources suggest that the word Godspeed may have been a corruption of "good speed," a wish for a speedy journey aided by favorable winds and sailing conditions. Under this theory, the expression good speed eventually became god-speed and ultimately Godspeed. The application of a Deity's name was simply a happy accident. Indeed, there are some recorded incidents of "good speed" being used as a blessing for ship-bound passengers.

The Middle English translators of the Holy Bible also used the term Godspeed in several passages, primarily in the Old Testament to indicate a God-inspired prosperity. This would suggest two separate evolutions of the expression, based on two different translations of the word speed. To wish someone Godspeed would be to wish him or her a prosperous journey or successful endeavor, while to wish someone goodspeed would suggest a swift and safe trip.

The expression Godspeed has largely fallen out of popular usage, and is generally listed as archaic in many dictionaries. Some still use it as a more theological blessing than a simple "good luck" or "bon voyage," although the original meaning has been forgotten in the mists of time.

This has been brought to you by the internet, when your to lazy to go to the library or just to lazy to google it yourself!

-Cheers

kearly

Reaction score
Wow. He was just the 25th corrections officer to be killed since 1901. Talk about unlucky.

I am hardly a gun nut, far from it, but correction officers should be armed. I believe police officers now have guns that only work when held by the officers own hand or something. Very safe. Also, it's probably a bad idea to have guards on solo duty.

nepahawk

Reaction score
Allweatherfan":y334pa7p said:
Last week a Federal Corrections Officer was killed by an inmate. As news is unfolding about this, I just read the following article which identifies him as a die-hard Seahawks fan. I mention this because there is the chance that he was a member on this board. If any knew him I am sure you were better for it.

http://citizensvoice.com/news/nanticoke-corrections-officer-killed-by-inmate-1.1450628

Allweather, are you from northeastern PA?

Eric was from my area but, I did not know him. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to his family and friends.

OP
OP
Allweatherfan

Allweatherfan

Reaction score
I provide support for Canaan but I don't work there. I live in Oregon and work for the BOP but not as an officer anymore. I travel around to several different prisons but I am based in Oregon.

The Radish

Reaction score
kearly":1rp71bi7 said:
Wow. He was just the 25th corrections officer to be killed since 1901. Talk about unlucky.

I am hardly a gun nut, far from it, but correction officers should be armed. I believe police officers now have guns that only work when held by the officers own hand or something. Very safe. Also, it's probably a bad idea to have guards on solo duty.

Years ago they did but it was determined that if the guard was armed and overpowered the prisoners would then have a weapon.

I had a personal friend who was a Presbyterian Minister pay his way through Seminary being a guard at San Quentin. Always thought it was a strange way for a man of God to get religion.

He never carried a gun and was in the general population all the time.

lukerguy

Reaction score
The Radish":106gpdmz said:
kearly":106gpdmz said:

Years ago the did but it was determined that if the guard was armed and overpowered the prisoners would then have a weapon.

I had a personal friend who was a Presbyterian Minister pay his way through Seminary being a guard at San Quentin. Always thought it was a strange way for a man of God to get religion.

That's why they need to be armed, but with something that could not be life threatening- something like pepper spray.

CANHawk

Reaction score
The Radish":144au53w said:
kearly":144au53w said:

Years ago the did but it was determined that if the guard was armed and overpowered the prisoners would then have a weapon.

Of course. Didn't any of you see Police Acedemy 2?

Oh, BTW... Canadian Eric checking in. Alive, well and only slightly intoxicated. :th2thumbs:

Latest posts