So who do we trade?

Axx

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3509k1fv said:
I

I would say Bryant and Mebane on the line could become expendable depending on the draft. .

Umm no, Mebane is a run stuffing monster. He clogs up everything up the middle, Bryant and Irvin are both liabilities in the running Defense.

We need Mebane, especially since we are in the same division as the run happy 9ers.

BigMeach

Reaction score
Doesn't cap space roll over another year? Also, in 2 years when most of our key young players hit their 1st contract years isn't the cap space for the league going to increase quite a bit ? I don't know if we do HAVE to lose key players... I think our FA has done pretty well with things. I mean obviously this team now will not be exactly the same in a couple years cause that never happens, but I just don't think we'll have to drop the most key positions and top players necesarily (unless some serious mistakes are made or some ridiculous offers are made by other teams that just aren't worth trying to match when FA comes up)

Anyway I could be wrong about this as I'm not the most educated with the new cap system but from what I've read/heard that seems to be what I've gathered.

Jville

Reaction score
All unused cap does row over into 2014. Spending cap surplus is not mandatory.

There are also cap reduction schedules built into some contracts. Zack Miller's scheduled cap number for 2013 is $11 million. But in 2014 it drops to $7 million and then to $6 million in 2015. So that contract has team friendly cap easements built into it.

And then there are competition cap easements built into their program. The winners play another season and the losers leave behind cap savings for the next year. We should see continue to see competition purges this year.

I'm sure they are looking at least four years down the road. And they have all the information to work with. Where as we have only incomplete pieces to work with.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
We might get to the point where it's just better to keep guys until they're FAs and let them walk. Picks are nice but getting a contract year performance and a compensatory pick is nice too.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":32aznjtu said:
We might get to the point where it's just better to keep guys until they're FAs and let them walk. Picks are nice but getting a contract year performance and a compensatory pick is nice too.
I totally agree with the contract year performance factor. However, the question really is what will P&J do? They like draft picks. Trading players gets draft picks. If what I read about the Green Bay philosophy that John brought with him is true, then they won't be resigning the majority of their FA's. They'll want to build up draft picks.
If that's the case, and I think it is, then this discussion isn't really about what should they do, but what players WILL they trade away for picks?

I'm thinking Kam is the most likely. Browner is possible because we have guys who can step up. They proved it when he was out. Tate cpuld pull in some draft picks, but I don't think he's going anywhere. He's one they'll keep because we lack depth at WR and Rice is a health concern. And also it takes time for rookie WR's to learn the route tree so we need veteran WR's.

Jville

Reaction score
So ..........

Who was the #1 iron man, with 1103 snaps, for the Seattle Seahawks last year?

And who projects the attitude and sets the tone for the Seahawk defense?

Kam Chancellor .... thats who.

Any notion that Chancellor is expendable is like some silly off the wall notion that Marshawn Lynch is expendable.

The front office has traded players for picks when the players no longer fit and/or the team has a surplus at the positions ... and the players fit a need of trading partners. It's really that simple.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
kam used to set the tone for the defense. Last year he kinda vanished. We had a thread around here showing each players production in the secondary in 2011 and 2012 and Kam had really dropped off. That's why I think he's the most expendable. Hard hitting safeties sometimes have short shelf lives. If Kam is trending downwards then now's the time to trade him while you can still get something because of his reputation.

Jville

Reaction score
Vanished?

He delivered one thousand one hundred and three snaps ..... and you call that vanishing?

:177692: Your not making any sense.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":srbeds3e said:
kam used to set the tone for the defense. Last year he kinda vanished. We had a thread around here showing each players production in the secondary in 2011 and 2012 and Kam had really dropped off. That's why I think he's the most expendable. Hard hitting safeties sometimes have short shelf lives. If Kam is trending downwards then now's the time to trade him while you can still get something because of his reputation.

Roy Williams comes to mind. I love Kam but I think as fans we are too sentimental with players. I don't think Kam's skill set is irreplaceable.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Jville":2oj827ex said:
Vanished?

He delivered one thousand one hundred and three snaps ..... and you call that vanishing?

nearly identical number of tackles and assists. However, in 2011 he made 3 FF's, 4 INT's and 13 PD's. 2012 he had 1 FF, 0 INTs and 4 PD's. Not nearly as many blistering hits. Not nearly the production. A safety is going to get his tackles. It's the other things that set them apart. Kam didn't have a great year in 2012. That in no way doesn't mean he didn't show up and earn his paycheck, it just means he may be trending down.

Jville

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2wil9u55 said:
Jville":2wil9u55 said:
Vanished?

nearly identical number of tackles and assists. However, in 2011 he made 3 FF's, 4 INT's and 13 PD's. 2012 he had 1 FF, 0 INTs and 4 PD's. Not nearly as many blistering hits. Not nearly the production. A safety is going to get his tackles. It's the other things that set them apart. Kam didn't have a great year in 2012. That in no way doesn't mean he didn't show up and earn his paycheck, it just means he may be trending down.

Earl Thomas interceptions peaked in his rookie year and he didn't get his statistical tackles in 2012 .... instead they took a significant nose dive.

Does that mean you think Earl Thomas needs to also go on the trading block?

Statistics are like draft picks. They are only tools. The one statistic that speaks loudly is victories. And, I'll take the 2012 record over the 2011 record any day. We have two young exceptional men at both safety positions. Why wreck it?

chris98251

Reaction score
Kam was playing on bum ankles a lot of the season but still was able to be very visable as our run defender and was making his presence felt in the passing game. Ask Vernon Davis if Kam is invisable.

Also with more range from the LB's his tackles should be lower since he will be playing in the box and not as far out on the edge chasing down guys to the sidelines.

OP
OP
R

RichNhansom

Reaction score
This is not a slam on Kam, it is a question about who goes if we can't keep em all. It also would be based on said player wanting to much and is willing to go into FA to get it.

There are alot of factors that come into play. Right now Kam's trade value is likely at it's max and if he were to be that guy that wants max pay then it might make sense to get trade value out of him. I am assuming the FO would already have a good idea of what we will be able to afford as well as which players will likely push the limits.

If you can't afford to keep everyone then someone has to be sacrificed and unfortunately it is going to be the beloved players who will be rhe ones who will warrant; draft picks. Not the fringe guys that you could easily do without.

drdiags

Reaction score
Things like the following have me wondering about Flynn's trade value.

From Mike Silver's article on NFL's six teams explore alternatives

"The thing about Matt Flynn, who no else wanted him last year?" said the same AFC personnel executive. "Philbin didn't want him; that told the whole story. Especially now, after Kolb and Cassel have failed. It confirms people's worst fears: that he's undersized, that the game's too big for him. Most teams viewed him as a really quality backup last year, and I doubt that's changed."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--s...t--other-2012-nfl-starting-qbs-023017123.html

Sure is a lot of negative anonymous feedback on his value if you give weight to Schefter and King as well as this article. Looking forward to how the team plays this out since there is such a wide opinion among Seahawks fans on his true value. Color me unsure.

EDIT:

BTW, nice article from FieldGulls on Matt

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2013-nfl-...6/matt-flynn-trade-seahawks-nfl-combine-draft

DJrmb

Reaction score
Just a thought here guys. I never really thought Revis was realistic or a good fit for us but what if you could do something like this:

Seahawks trade:
Matt Flynn
Brandon Browner

Jets trade:
Darrel Revis

It would be nice if we could get them to swap 1st round picks with us too but that might be asking too much. You might be able to get a conditional pick though for next year...

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
below is a list of players that are important to the seahawks success and don't think they can let go

1. Okung
2. E. thomas
3. R.sherman
4. Wilson

i did'nt include lynch becuase who knows where he'll be at when his contract is up