Ranking QB's

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Ranking QB's
Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:47 pm
  • 1. Brady

2. Rodgers

3. P. Manning

4. J. Flacco

5. E. Manning

6. RW

7. Big Ben

8. Drew Brees

9. Kaepernick

10. Matt Ryan/ Matt Shaub

11. Mathew Stafford

12. RG3

13. Jay Cutler

14. Andrew Luck

15. Sam Bradford

16. Cam Newton

17. Philip Rivers

18. Josh Freeman

19. Matt Flynn

20. Ryan Tannehill

21. Christian Ponder

22. Carson Palmer

23. Ryan Fitzpatrick

24. Michael Vick

25. Brandon Weeden

Am I fare on RW and Flynn or is this homerism?
    skater18000
    NET Veteran

Re: Ranking QB's
Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:05 pm
  • I'd put him around 8 or 9, and that's pretty damn good for a guy finishing his rookie season. No way is he as good as Brees, and Matt Ryan has more game winning drives than any QB in the last 5 years (I believe that's what they said, 26?).
    Also, Krappernick isn't nearly a top 10 qb. Just my own opinion. But I totally get the love for Wilson, he's damn good.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:06 pm
  • Honestly, the only guy I might put above Wilson on this lost is Rodgers. And that's because he has some mobility and some youth.
    Even that is a close call.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:10 pm
  • Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Eli, Flacco etc. those guys are still the top of the heap. One year doesn't make Wilson one of the best in the league. I love the guy, but it's gonna' take some time to be one of the top 5 QB's in the league. Those guy have done it consistently fpr years.
    But, I do think he will end up being by far the best QB in team history. In fact, I may sound like a homer, but I think he already is. Just not ready to crown him top 5 yet.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:15 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Eli, Flacco etc. those guys are still the top of the heap. One year doesn't make Wilson one of the best in the league. I love the guy, but it's gonna' take some time to be one of the top 5 QB's in the league. Those guy have done it consistently fpr years.
    But, I do think he will end up being by far the best QB in team history. In fact, I may sound like a homer, but I think he already is. Just not ready to crown him top 5 yet.

But top 6 isn't a reach right?
    Week 1 of the preseason vs. The Tennessee Titans, I said the Seahawks were winning the superbowl...

"Oh and by the way, Go Hawks!!!" Russel Wilson
    skater18000
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:31 pm
  • Hard to say, I see both sides. Dude is damn good. As far as potential goes, I honestly think he can be a great quarterback, Elite level at some point.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:01 am
  • I think it's very hard to say this early on whether he's better than some of those quarterbacks who have been in the league for years.

If you're going to go by performance based on one year alone, then I think he may be in the top 5, maybe even 3.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:11 am
  • The Outfield wrote:I think it's very hard to say this early on whether he's better than some of those quarterbacks who have been in the league for years.

If you're going to go by performance based on one year alone, then I think he may be in the top 5, maybe even 3.

Is it safe to say he has the brightest future of any top 10 QB (clearly, he is a top 10, top 5 will take at least a ring for me, but he is on the brink...)
    skater18000
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:14 am
  • What is the basis of the ranking? Is it the order you'd draft them in some league wide redraft right now? Or just who you'd pick to lead your team in 2013?

I don't think Flynn has a big enough sample size for me to be confident in placing him there, but I do think I'd take him over some of the guys you put him above, right at the same level, and maybe a couple I'd pick above him.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:23 am
  • I agree with Pinksheets.. dont have a way to rate Flynn at the moment.

I dont think Brady is #1 anymore. Im not sure there is a clear #1 right now.. Brady, Rodgers and Brees all looked "off" this past season at times, especially Brady and Brees. Think we also need to see how the league adapts over the offseason to the read option offenses.. that will go a long way in determining if RGIII and Wilson are perenial top 5 from here on..or merely good top 10 qbs.

I would take Big Ben over Eli.. well..no.I would RATE him above Eli.. I would NEVER take him on my team if I were an owner or GM.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:38 am
  • Flacco had an 87 passer rating this year which is close to his career passer rating. Same is true for Eli. As of right now Wilson is a better qb than either of these two. Sure they have achieved more, but only because they have been around longer. That doesn't make them better qbs.

Wilson is above Flacco and Eli but below Brees.
    pocketprotector
    NET Starter

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:39 am
  • NFL AM hosts ranked their top 10 QBs this morning. Eric Davis had RW as the number 9 or 10 (if I remember correctly) which I thought was probably close to fair. The knuckle head Mark Kriegel did not have RW on his list but had Krapernick as his #9... I about blew my coffee all over the tv screen. One, a rookie, beat out two NFL veterans in training camp for a starting job, took over the LEADERSHIP roll of the team and then LED his team into the second round of the playoffs... the other couldn't beat out, for 2 seasons, an oft critisized and maligned QB who's team has been looking to replace for years (with the likes of J.T. O'Sullivan and Shaun Hill) until said QB goes down with injury half way through the season leaving him a 6 & 2 record to work with and who obviously did not take over the LEADERSHIP roll on that team. One has an amazing skill set and athleticism for his size along with a truck load of intangibles... the other has the prerequisite size and athleticism and then just a truck load of tatoos...
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:28 am
  • i love it... more fuel for the wilson fire... he could care less where these knuckle heads have him ranked.. he does his talking on the field... oh but didn't you know that, according to all the so called experts, he's too short, and he's a 3rd round rookie so he can't possibly lead this team to a winning record, well he did.. wow that's suprising..

but in his second year, teams are going to have film on him and will know how to game plan to stop him.. so he'll definitely have a sophomore slump... ok, but didn't he play 18 games this season... you'd a thought that they could have figured him out by the eighteenth game? seems like he only got better, only to have his best game against ATL...

my point is, he's a short 3rd round draft pick, playing for Seattle... he came into this league with three strikes against him... he's going to have to earn everything he gets, unlike Luck... he'll have to force them to take notice and give him his props from his play on the field.. just like he did this season... RW will win this debate , mark my words....
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:28 am
  • My top 10:

1) Rodgers
    2) Brady
    3) P. Manning
    4) Ryan
    5) Russell Wilson
    6) Drew Brees
    7) Eli Manning
    8) Joe Flacco
    9) Big Ben
    10) Luck
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:41 am
  • According to ESPN's Total QBR ratings for the 2012 regular season, Wilson is #8.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:46 am
  • MANUNITED23 wrote:My top 10:

1) Rodgers
    2) Brady
    3) P. Manning
    4) Ryan
    5) Russell Wilson
    6) Drew Brees
    7) Eli Manning
    8) Joe Flacco
    9) Big Ben
    10) Luck

you put luck and Ryan before Kaepernick? interesting.. is this bases on careers or this seasons stats?
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:39 pm
  • skater18000 wrote:1. Brady

2. Rodgers

3. P. Manning

4. J. Flacco

5. E. Manning

6. RW

7. Big Ben

8. Drew Brees

9. Kaepernick

10. Matt Ryan/ Matt Shaub

11. Mathew Stafford

12. RG3

13. Jay Cutler

14. Andrew Luck

15. Sam Bradford

16. Cam Newton

17. Philip Rivers

18. Josh Freeman

19. Matt Flynn

20. Ryan Tannehill

21. Christian Ponder

22. Carson Palmer

23. Ryan Fitzpatrick

24. Michael Vick

25. Brandon Weeden

Am I fare on RW and Flynn or is this homerism?

I bolded everything that seems wrong.

Matt Flynn shouldn't be on the list at all. 2 actual games means we have no evidence that he deserves to be above the others. They've all had good games, too.
    Flacco isn't top 5.
    Brees is top 5.
    Christian Ponder shouldn't even be ranked.
    Mike Vick is better than Ryan Fitzpatrick and Carson Palmer, but I guess his injuries are definitely making him drop. Iffy, so he could stay or move up, and I would probably agree either way.
    Matt Ryan has more experience and has proven himself to be a great QB, so he deserves to be where Russell is. I'd rather have Matt than Eli (unless it's the postseason)
    Matt Schaub is probably good at 10.
    Eli Manning below Matt Ryan
    Big Ben could probably move down the list a bit, because he's been average. I think I'd rather have Stafford, but he has Megatron, so who knows?
    Kaepernick doesn't have enough time playing to be ranked as high as he is.
    Josh Freeman is pretty garbage, but better than Ponder, Fitz and Weeden.
    Cam Newton I'd put above the rookies until after next year when we have more from them (Guess that means RG3 will drop, because he ain't playin'). He had another pretty decent year with a horrible team. Rushed like a boss and was postive on TD/INT ratio.

Russell Wilson being anywhere in the top 10 is a reach, although one more season like this one would solidify the fact and then he should be allowed to be ranked that high. I like to think of him as top 5, but I know it's homerism and we don't have enough tape on the guy to actually say that as fact. It's hard to even rank them among the others, but I guess if I had to, I'd put them above Jay Cutler.

RG3 would go directly below Russell, in my opinion, because he doesn't know how to keep himself from taking a huge hit and is a liability to his team, while Russell knows better.

Luck could probably go right above Jay, because he is an interception machine, and until he fixes that, he is basically Jay Cutler with more touchdowns, more yards, and more interceptions.

Basically, what I'm saying, is your list doesn't line up with my views. :thirishdrinkers:
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:22 pm
  • I do not know how anyone could claim that Cam Newton is a better QB than Russell with a straight face.
    pocketprotector
    NET Starter

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:35 pm
  • pocketprotector wrote:Flacco had an 87 passer rating this year which is close to his career passer rating. Same is true for Eli. As of right now Wilson is a better qb than either of these two. Sure they have achieved more, but only because they have been around longer. That doesn't make them better qbs.

Wilson is above Flacco and Eli but below Brees.

LOL? Look how many playoff games Flacco and Eli have won. Eli has 2 rings and Flacco has many playoff wins.
    Isn't Drew Brees winless on the road in the playoffs?
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:41 pm
  • How do you just say that about Wilson, but not the same about RG3? I just don't want to jump the gun and say we have a top 10 QB before he's played more than a season.

Also, you say that like you think Cam Newton isn't a good QB at all, and shouldn't even be on the list. Cam Newton had a great year, and the only thing people had to say about him was that he was mopey and a bad sport when they were losing. Dude almost had 5000 total yards. He isn't as bad as you think he is.

4051 Passing Yards
    21 TD/17 INT
    706 Rushing Yards
    14 TD (Record)

3869 Passing Yards
    19 TD/12 INT
    741 Rushing Yards
    8 TD

I sure as shit wouldn't be disappointed with those stats for 2 years. If he had more than just Steve Smith and Greg Olsen, he'd be way better. His runningbacks don't help, either.

Russ is a beast, and if he has another year like this one, I'll feel better about ranking him higher. I would have done the same with Cam last year.
    Last edited by MrCarey on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:41 pm
  • 1. Brady
    2. E. Manning
    3. J. Flacco
    4. P. Manning
    5. Big Ben
    6. Rodgers
    7. Drew Brees
    8. Matt Ryan
    9. RW
    10. Kaepernick
    11. Mathew Stafford
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:46 pm
  • Call me biased but I have RW first. After the New England game there was never a game I felt we were out of. Okay that's unreasonable. After Brady and Rodgers I do have RW. Peytons post season record sucks. If you had to choose today and your down ten points in the fourth who do you want? I take RW all day and blam e the defense when we don't win.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:53 pm
  • u take RW all day and then we only score how many points in the first half against the falcons?
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:15 pm
  • I think its hard to say with Wilson, right now. On the one hand, my heart says with a full pre-season and without the training wheels in the first half of he season, this guy would have been top 3. On the other hand, my mind says that without the competition and the training wheels, Matt Flynn would have been our quarterback in a mediocre 8-8 season and Wilson would be riding the pine. I really want another year to look at him and see what he does with a full rep load throughout the offseason and no training wheels through the season.

1. Brady

2. Rodgers

3. P. Manning

4. Drew Brees

5. J. Flacco

6. Matt Ryan

7. Big Ben

8. E. Manning

9. RW

10. Matt Shaub

11. Mathew Stafford

12. RG3

13. Kaepernick

14. Jay Cutler

15. Philip Rivers

16. Andrew Luck

17. Sam Bradford

18. Cam Newton

19. Carson Palmer

20. Ryan Fitzpatrick

21. Matt Flynn

22. Josh Freeman

23. Ryan Tannehill

24. Christian Ponder

25. Brandon Weeden

I took Vick off the list. His stats are pedestrian, and I think he is more of a liability to the Eagles than an asset. People look at Michael Vick with a bit of a nostalgic, empathic view of "what might have been" when the reality is that he was always an overrated quarterback with unearthly athletic ability. The problem is, age and injuries diminish athletic ability and all that is left is an overrated quarterback.
    Last edited by benbu75 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    benbu75
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:27 pm
  • Rodgers, Brady, P. Manning and Brees are the elite four. You can argue about the ordering, but those are the guys that are head and shoulders at the top of the list at this point.

Ryan, E. Manning, Flacco, and Big Ben are the vets in the next tier. You can make the case that the rookie QBs fall somewhere in this grouping or, at worst, immediately after it.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:43 pm
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:Honestly, the only guy I might put above Wilson on this lost is Rodgers. And that's because he has some mobility and some youth.
    Even that is a close call.

Agree
    captSE
    NET Starter

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:27 pm
  • Don't get it why people love Rodgers that much. He had "ALMOST" the same WR Corps Jennings, James Jones, Donald Driver, Donald Lee, Jordy Nelson from 2008-Present. Rodgers was given a talent WR Corps and he only won 1 superbowl, and

Lost to Arizona.
    Won Superbowl Opp: Steelers
    Lost to NYG
    Lost to SF

Bress once again no playoff wins @ the road.
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:28 am
  • Crown the Prince when he's King.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:29 am
  • Im honestly surprised that so many people still put Brady at the top.. hes still really, really good.. but the last couple years he hasnt seemed to have that "I can will the team to victory" ability anymore. I kept waiting for him to create the comeback to beat the Ravens..but he couldnt..but in 2009 or 2010 I think he could have.
    Not hating on him, dont get me wrong. I just dont think hes king of the hill anymore. That said, Im not sure who is..
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:09 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Eli, Flacco etc. those guys are still the top of the heap. One year doesn't make Wilson one of the best in the league. I love the guy, but it's gonna' take some time to be one of the top 5 QB's in the league. Those guy have done it consistently fpr years.

I thought Dave Krieg and Jim Zorn were the best in Seahawk history? Undisputed?
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:42 am
  • Jim Zorn is the most charismatic and exciting QB in Seahawk history.. RW may eventually beat him for exciting and maybe tie him for charismatic. Its something that just doesnt come across though..you had to see him play.
    Vetamur
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:01 am
  • i don't care about all this ranking crap, stats , QBR... i'll just go with the old eyeball test... Russell is the real deal and he's only going to get better.. you give him some real legit weapons, guy's who can catch the ball and make plays, like Garcon, Cruz, Julio, someone like that, there's no reason he can't do anything those top guy's you have listed are doing, including winning superbowls...

so you can sit and wait another year all you want to claim ok he's legit now, i don't need to ... if the seahawks are not successful next year, it will not be because of our QB play... Sorry went all homer, but my eyes don't lie.
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:34 am
  • If this is a list of QBs I would want to build a team around, Russell would be right at or very near the top based on his potential, football smarts, maturity, and work ethic. But if this is a list of QBs based on performance over time, I'm not sure any of the rookies make that list. We will know a whole bunch more about this whole gang of "Wunderkids" after they have been through their second season. Who takes a step forward? Who regresses and suffers a sophmore slump? Who is durable and who shows up as accident prone?

Too many questions and too small a sample size to slot them into their spots vs guys who have shown us over 5 to 10 years exactly who they are. :?:
    canfan
    NET Rookie

Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:09 am
  • Sorry, any list that includes Kraep in the top 10 is automatically rendered null and void...

He was spotted a 6-2 record. He went 5-2-1 to finish the regular season... why don't we put Alex Smith above him? Yes he's got some athletic talent... beyond that he's a product of the team around him.
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:27 am
  • canfan wrote:If this is a list of QBs I would want to build a team around, Russell would be right at or very near the top based on his potential, football smarts, maturity, and work ethic. But if this is a list of QBs based on performance over time, I'm not sure any of the rookies make that list. We will know a whole bunch more about this whole gang of "Wunderkids" after they have been through their second season. Who takes a step forward? Who regresses and suffers a sophmore slump? Who is durable and who shows up as accident prone?

Too many questions and too small a sample size to slot them into their spots vs guys who have shown us over 5 to 10 years exactly who they are. :?:

Exactly!
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:45 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information