Ranking the 32 starting QBs

seahawks875

Reaction score
I wanted to rank the 32 NFL starting QBs and see what everyone else's rankings would look like too, heres mine (I broke them up into tiers):

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Drew Brees
3. Tom Brady
4. Peyton Manning

5. Andrew Luck
6. Matt Ryan
7. Russell Wilson
8. Robert Griffin III
9. Ben Roethlisberger

10. Eli Manning
11. Matthew Stafford
12. Tony Romo

13. Cam Newton
14. Colin Kaepernick

15. Jay Cutler
16. Joe Flacco
17. Andy Dalton
18. Michael Vick
19. Matt Schaub

20. Sam Bradford
21. Ryan Tannehill
22. Carson Palmer
23. Philip Rivers
24. Josh Freeman
25. Brandon Weeden
26. EJ Manuel

27. Alex Smith
28. Matt Flynn

29. Jake Locker
30. Christian Ponder
31. Mark Sanchez
32. Blaine Gabbert

Axx

Reaction score
Healthy RG3 is better than Ruskel wilkins

Andrew Luck at #5.
Oh god i smell a troll.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Andrew Luck is the most overrated quarterback in the NFL.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I would have Flacco at 11. A top QB can take a team from behind and win. He can so it. Romo ... When the growing gets tough ....you get the picture. He would be really low.

mikeak

Reaction score
Cutler, Romo, STAFFORD, Luck over last years Super Bowl winning qb - what are you smoking?

Your number 3 & 4 are two of the best to EVER play the game. Again what are you smoking?

Your number 10 has TWO rings and played in a stadium with a ton of crosswinds lowering his numbers. He is good - better than 10

Sorry forgot the rules - what is this post smoking....

rideaducati

Reaction score
Sam Bradford is ranked about 9 slots too high. Kaepernick will ultimately end up in the bottom third along with Jay Cutler. Weeden will be moving up this list fast this season.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
seahawks875":crlv7zmd said:
Trrrroy":crlv7zmd said:
Andrew Luck is the most overrated quarterback in the NFL.
And why is he overrated

Because everyone wants to anoint him as an elite quarterback when he wasn't even the second best rookie QB last season. Luck's reputation as anything other than a slightly above average QB is based on name value not performance. The guy completed 54% of his passes for a 77 Passer rating, and I know stats don't tell everything but top 5 Quarterbacks don't have stats that crappy. Ryan Tannehill had a better completion percentage, similar YPA, and a nearly identical passer rating on a similarly poor team. Why isn't Tannheill considered a future HOF'er after that? Because he didn't have a playoff season fueled by a cupcake schedule and huge number of lucky (pardon the pun) breaks?
I believe Luck will one day be an elite quarterback in this league, but he has to prove it to me first.

kearly

Reaction score
I'd have Luck in the late teens based on last season, though I do think he'll take a big step forward this year.

For me, the top tier is six QBs:

Manning
Brees
Brady
Rodgers
Wilson
RG3

In no particular order. Any of them can look unstoppable at any given time. I would have leaned Wilson #1 before the season, but after watching how masterful Manning was the other night, I don't know how any QB could be better. Give him 3 seconds and he will erase an elite defense.

I think you could at least attempt the argument that those are the six best QBs to ever play the game, though obviously Wilson and RG3 need more time to earn that distinction. But they just had the two best rookie seasons in NFL history. It is kind of amazing the level of QB play in the NFL right now.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":305azwzt said:
I'd have Luck in the late teens based on last season, though I do think he'll take a big step forward this year.

For me, the top tier is six QBs:

Manning
Brees
Brady
Rodgers
Wilson
RG3

In no particular order. Any of them can look unstoppable at any given time. I would have leaned Wilson #1 before the season, but after watching how masterful Manning was the other night, I don't know how any QB could be better. Give him 3 seconds and he will erase an elite defense.

I think you could at least attempt the argument that those are the six best QBs to ever play the game, though obviously Wilson and RG3 need more time to earn that distinction. But they just had the two best rookie seasons in NFL history. It is kind of amazing the level of QB play in the NFL right now.
As they say in Canada, NUCE.:)

NINEster

Reaction score
The underrating of Luck is pretty comical (as is the idea that Wilson is head and shoulders above the young QB class).

In Luck's situation, he was asked to throw the ball downfield the most of all starting QBs (not just the young pups). He did not benefit from an elite OL, running game and/or defense like Kaepernick, Wilson, or Griffin. People like to downplay Alex Smith's passer rating for being short passing game and very little risks downfield.....well, same principle here basically as compared to Luck, all of these QBs kept the ball "safe and efficient".

While Luck did not have the best rookie season statistically, he did have the most wins ever, shattering his predecessor's record of 7 or 8 wins with 11. I get that Indy had a last place schedule, but regardless teams with last place schedules very rarely win 11 games (let alone with a rookie QB).

His mobility is excellent for a guy not named Wilson, Griffin, Kaepernick, and
Vick. He's a little faster than Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith, two pocket passer QBs that can move pretty well.

As for Wilson, he's a great QB. But it's too early to tell how he ranks against the rest.

NINEster

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3r87fior said:
Purely for passing, Manning is better than everyone else, IMO. Kearly is right, you give him 3 seconds and it doesn't matter how good your DBs are, he'll murder them. Brady is almost as good, but I rate Manning just a bit higher than him. Brees is going to win games for you, Rodgers - despite being a bitch - is a pretty good QB. I don't rate Luck yet, gonna watch him for another couple of years first.

Anyway, to sum it all up, Throwdown is the most correct in this thread.

Peyton might be the most surgeon like QB we have in today's game, but I'll gladly sacrifice a little bit of that precision for more clutch post season play (Brady, Eli) or big play potential (Rodgers or Brees). These guys all have as many or more rings than Peyton, and that's not an accident either. He's one of the most underachieving great QBs I've seen.

I respect the guy's talents but also admittedly root against him as the media adoration for him (and his own false modesty) is nauseating at times.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Whats crazy is people probably looked at my response and laughed and chuckled, thinking I was joking...

I'm dead ass serious.

OrFan

Reaction score
NINEster":37ezfoeh said:
While Luck did not have the best rookie season statistically, he did have the most wins ever, shattering his predecessor's record of 7 or 8 wins with 11. I get that Indy had a last place schedule, but regardless teams with last place schedules very rarely win 11 games (let alone with a rookie QB).

The most wins ever? You mean by a rookie? What about Wilson who had 11 regular season wins and a post season win with a much more tough schedule?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
OrFan":10udup4c said:
NINEster":10udup4c said:

The most wins ever? You mean by a rookie? What about Wilson who had 11 regular season wins and a post season win with a much more tough schedule?

Am I the only who remembers Luck getting absolutely embarrassed against New England? Like 2 pick-sixes or something? That game should've served as notice that Luck is more hype than real thing at this point.

Latest posts