"It's just a game"

kidhawk

Reaction score
For the fans, it is just a game. You don't have to like that fact, and you can invest emotionally in a game and feel pain of the loss and exhilaration of the wins, but that doesn't change the fact that for us fans it's just a game.

I will concur though that in one aspect it's not just a game, it's a business. From the NFL to the individual teams, to all their employees and especially to the players, this is a business. Sure, their "business" is competing in this game we love so much, but it's still a business.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
CaptainSkybeard":1mpjsnaa said:
Football (and other things that have a similar effect) add color and depth to an otherwise monotone life.

That sounds really depressing.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I'm in the "it's just a game" camp when it comes to taking it out on your family, friends, coworkers, or anyone around you. I'm on here everyday and obviously I'm fairly invested in this team. But I'm not going to let things I can't control ruin my day or have me ruin others.

Hawk Haole

Reaction score
I have two daughters that play soccer and I have coached both of their teams. I have never said to them that it is 'Just a game'. It isn't. You invested a lot of time, effort and heart into it. But....I have always encouraged them not to cling to a loss. You lose. You learn. You move on. You can't replay the game. When you win you revel in it, enjoy it and get ready for the next game. There will always be a next game. When you lose learn from it and try to make changes so it doesn't happen again.
That being said after I dropped off the kids at school I went home and went back to bed. A luxury indeed. But do you think Russel Wilson is walking around feeling sorry for himself? **** no. He was watching tape. It reminds me of a Chuck Norris joke; Russell Wilson doesn't sleep, he waits.
GO HAWKS!!

JSeahawks

Reaction score
its whatever you make it out to be for yourself. For some its life. For me its entertainment. Either way is fine, its your own personal choice. But i'm going to continue posting as if its nothing more than a game and entertainment, crack jokes and laugh after wins and losses. You are free to continue posting as if its the most important thing in the world.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's never just a game to me. Can't help it, I'm bummed, big time. I don't just think of it as just a game. That being said, I get over it WAY quicker than in the past. Especially w/the season we just had.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Aros":229l4x89 said:
Dude, it's just a game. Sorry if that ruffles your feathers but at the end of the day, and our lives, it really is just a game. Yes, we are emotionally invested more than most people, it's our jobs as diehards, but let's not get melodramatic here.

I invested a decade of my life to help nurture, grow and expand this website community. I lost a lot of money and even made some enemies during that time. But it was all worth it because of the community it has become. It's a legacy I will always be proud of but let's not lose sight of the fact that this is really just entertainment. It's a fantastic part of our lives to be sure but yes indeed, it is, just a game.
This. I'm invested in everything-Seahawks more than any person I know, and I have been my whole life. But at the end of the day, it is nothing more than a game, FOR ME anyway. Does that somehow make me less of a fan, or mean that I don't care as much? I would like to think it doesn't.

OP
OP
CaptainSkybeard

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1legog12 said:
CaptainSkybeard":1legog12 said:
Football (and other things that have a similar effect) add color and depth to an otherwise monotone life.

That sounds really depressing.

Yeah, it sounds that way a little the way I worded it. Monotone does not equal depressing though. What it really means is normal life doesn't have the same level of drama / wild swings as what a football season does. I am glad. I wouldn't want a real life that turmultulous. I had my wild days when i was in the marine corps.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Unless you work for the team or the NFL in some capacity, or you are crazy enough to bet your life savings on the outcome, it's just a game. Presumably you still have your home, life, family, etc., regardless of who wins or loses.

This is not to say you and I aren't more emotionally invested than a casual fan, but it still is a game at the end of the day.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
mikehawks":fve0rbqs said:
I'm still a little bummed about the loss yesterday.

As we all are. You're not alone brother.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
I try to believe its just a game . But my " believing " got a good kick in the balls yesterday. I took that one real bad even teared up .ive spent countless hours days and months of my life on this Seahawks thing. I'm tired just tired weary and emotionally spent . I know I know " it's only a game " but that's not working for me .
To sum up my feelings the Seahawks are like a bad girl friend when it's going good it's great but in the back of your mind you know she is going to F you.
Man this one hurts worse than XL for me for some reason . It stole my Believe aspect from me I never ever felt that way ever ! it's crazy to feel that way but I'd be lier if I said it didn't .
I guess I'm just tired of next year and so on been a long time Will it ever come?!? I just don't know like I thought I did any more. Say what you will but this one was that moment when magic became a myth for me call it corny but that's how I feel.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't mean to downplay the impact this team has on our lives. We all know how much we invest in this team year-round. I'm just saying that at the end of the day it's a football game. Not the life or death of your wife, brother, daughter, sister, father, mother, best friend. Shit gets real in a hurry when REAL important things occur in our lives. You know what I mean. But to pay respect to the spirit of the topic, yes of course it's a heavy impact to us diehards. ALL of us had heavy hearts yesterday when they kicked that game-winning field goal. To tease us like they did with a historic comeback, only to watch it be snagged away thanks to prevent/soft zone defense...

Yeah man, it hurt bad.

I just want to state for the record I'm not trying to gloss over the very real impact these games have on us emotionally. My only point is if we are trying to compare losing a football game to REAL life injustices and heartache (not saying anyone in particular was), then it's no contest. Football is a game. A game. A game.

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
If you can say "it's just a game" and skip off happily... I just don't know how a person who does that can be a true die hard fan of any sports.

I am still depressed. Maybe I will get over it in a week or so but aint no way I'm getting over it any time soon.

Greenhell

Reaction score
For whatever reason I was bummed and dwelled on it for the evening but today I was good cus I know that as much as this hurt most fans I truly feel our dynasty is coming in 2013. We've waited 37 years and said dynasty will be one that will equal or better those teams of the past. Book it! I've never been more excited about what's to come than I was after the loss yesterday.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
hawkfannj":3vkg0df1 said:
I try to believe its just a game . But my " believing " got a good kick in the balls yesterday. I took that one real bad even teared up .ive spent countless hours days and months of my life on this Seahawks thing. I'm tired just tired weary and emotionally spent . I know I know " it's only a game " but that's not working for me .
To sum up my feelings the Seahawks are like a bad girl friend when it's going good it's great but in the back of your mind you know she is going to F you.
Man this one hurts worse than XL for me for some reason . It stole my Believe aspect from me I never ever felt that way ever ! it's crazy to feel that way but I'd be lier if I said it didn't .
I guess I'm just tired of next year and so on been a long time Will it ever come?!? I just don't know like I thought I did any more. Say what you will but this one was that moment when magic became a myth for me call it corny but that's how I feel.

Exactly. The end of the roll we were on is only made worse by the history of this team and the fickle nature of success in the NFL. We should be playing San Fran. this weekend. Next year anything can happen. I like to think this season was only a harbinger of things to come, but I know our team had it in them this year.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I totally get it. I was thinking today about age. I'm 44, not ancient but by no means a spring chicken either. I've lived and breathed this team their entire franchise existence since 1976. I've lived through SO much heartache and misery it's just plain ridiculous to go into detail. I too ask, "When...When will the Seahawks finally win the Super Bowl?" As you get older, it's easier to get a bit more insecure about when they are going to win it all. If you are in your teens or twenties, you can't relate to what I'm saying but if you were middle-aged or older, you totally see where I'm going with this.

I have a lot of awesome stuff on my Bucket List. But at the very tippy top is seeing the Seahawks win the Super Bowl before I leave this Earth.

With Russell Wilson, I feel that is going to be checked off before I hit 50.

Now let's hope I don't get hit by a bus before that happens!

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Hey folks calm down. It's just a game! ...that we should have won IF we had played our passing game in the first half. IF PC hadn't make that stupid time out call in the end.
IF our defense could get any pressure on the QB at all.
And do we have to mention our fricken OC and DC interviewing for jobs before the most important game to date?
Sheez, here I go again. Now I won't be able to sleep for another 24 hrs OH CRAP. Gotta go to work in 5 hours. Remember it's just a game. It's just a game. :cry:

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
Hawk-A-Loogie":33trl1tf said:
If you can say "it's just a game" and skip off happily... I just don't know how a person who does that can be a true die hard fan of any sports.

I am still depressed. Maybe I will get over it in a week or so but aint no way I'm getting over it any time soon.

I guess you're just a better real fan.

And here I thought all the years in the kingdome were because I like football and my Seahawks. It turns out I just enjoy expensive parking and $10 beers.

*what's the over/under on this guy knowing what the kingdome was btw?