Offseason Free Agency Addition Thoughts ...

Seattle_Stunna_MD

Reaction score
SDHawk":34dsg6sl said:
Desmond Bryant and Richard Seymour should also be targets.

I like Mike Wallace over Greg Jennings.

We could also use Jared Cook.

Ditto for Wallace over Jennings. Love the speed of Wallace.

pehawk

Reaction score
Wallace is also VERY used to playing sandlot.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Keep in mind we don't have excessively deep pockets.

The good news is, we rolled over a lot of cap space this season. But we probably can't go after both a top-flight WR and DT plys sign the guys we need to sign. We need to be mindful of the upcoming fiscal commitments we will make when the rookie deals expire for the likes of Okung, Thomas, Tate and Chancellor.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1vp6m717 said:

The good news is, we rolled over a lot of cap space this season. But we probably can't go after both a top-flight WR and DT plys sign the guys we need to sign. We need to be mindful of the upcoming fiscal commitments we will make when the rookie deals expire for the likes of Okung, Thomas, Tate and Chancellor.

Excellent point. If we're happy with our All-Pro level players, we need to be prepared to keep them here. That means we're not likely to be big players in FA and that we're going to have to let some solid contributors walk each season. It's the Green Bay model... expect to see Schneider and the FO start staggering contracts and the draft becoming exponentially more important to our roster than FA.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":abj84i3y said:

The first three must be resigned.

I wouldn't bet against an upgrade over Chancellor being found late in the 2013 or 2014 draft. Like him, but I think he might be the odd man out.

scifly

Reaction score
DT Armond Armstead, 6'5'' 300lbs. 6 sacks in the CFL, could be another gem from up north.

SDHawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":bhwbi1tx said:

We have alot of cap flexibility and trading Matt Flynn will only give us more.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
SDHawk":15v67n7p said:
FlyingGreg":15v67n7p said:

We have alot of cap flexibility and trading Matt Flynn will only give us more.

No, we really don't. We have our own players to retain and as I pointed out we need to preserve cap space as much as we can for the next few years as we are going to need to pay out HUGE to keep our studs.

The Flynn trade is a whole separate issue. I'm not sure we trade him unless the deal knocks our socks off. We are lucky to have a quality back-up QB, something that can't be overstated.

I'm not saying we are cap tight, but we must be cap savvy. I'm not worried about it - John Schneider and John Idzik have done a great job managing it. The point is more that we can't just go sign premiere WRs, DEs and DTs. As always, filling the needs will be a mix of smart free agent decisions and also a solid draft.

SDHawk

Reaction score
We have our own players to retain and as I pointed out we need to preserve cap space as much as we can for the next few years as we are going to need to pay out HUGE to keep our studs.

I think it's a mistake to play this offseason "safe".

We're already one of the top 5 teams in the NFL, despite being the 2nd youngest. I think if there are clear pieces that may put us over the top... such as a Mike Wallace or a discounted Richard Seymour, I think we roll the dice.

Having a backup QB receiving starter pay doesn't exactly jibe with your save money philosophy. I think using that money for a DT would be better served. I also think we let Sidney Rice walk when his ridiculous contract expires. That should free up a grip of cap space.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
SDHawk":1wxh6fww said:
We have our own players to retain and as I pointed out we need to preserve cap space as much as we can for the next few years as we are going to need to pay out HUGE to keep our studs.

We're already one of the top 5 teams in the NFL, despite being the 2nd youngest. I think if there are clear pieces that may put us over the top... such as a Mike Wallace or a discounted Richard Seymour, I think we roll the dice.

I agree to an extent - for instance, I'd love Wallace. But they are rolling over a lot of cap this season, and that's because they realize what looms over the horizon.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":im433kzp said:
SDHawk":im433kzp said:

I agree to an extent - for instance, I'd love Wallace. But they are rolling over a lot of cap this season, and that's because they realize what looms over the horizon.

Exactly. Do we risk losing Thomas, Sherman, Okung, etc. for the shot at a guy we THINK might put us over the top?

It's the difference between looking at each season in a vacuum and looking at a window of opportunity. If you're thinking of 2013 and absolutely nothing else, then yeah, maybe you sell out and blow tons of cash in FA to "get over the hump." If you want the Hawks to be SB contenders for the next decade, then you don't spend your money in FA - you spend it to lock up your own key superstars and continue replenishing the team through the draft.

pehawk

Reaction score
Doesn't JS's ability to draft also afford this franchise the ability to sign a big name or two? Cant they lean on "even if HE walks, we can get a cheap replacement in the 3rd?"

redhawk253

Reaction score
Mike wallace.. I think the defensive line can be addressed through the draft.. This years draft us supposed to be one of the best d line drafts in awhile they have like 20 guys projected as 1st rounders..

SDHawk

Reaction score
Exactly. Do we risk losing Thomas, Sherman, Okung, etc. for the shot at a guy we THINK might put us over the top?

It's the difference between looking at each season in a vacuum and looking at a window of opportunity. If you're thinking of 2013 and absolutely nothing else, then yeah, maybe you sell out and blow tons of cash in FA to "get over the hump." If you want the Hawks to be SB contenders for the next decade, then you don't spend your money in FA - you spend it to lock up your own key superstars and continue replenishing the team through the draft.

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Right now were a top 5 team... I think it takes just a couple splashy moves to cement us firmly as superbowl contenders for the next 3-4 years.

Sidney Rice's contract expires in 2016. That should free up a grip of cash, too.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
pehawk":a2sgkd9w said:
Doesn't JS's ability to draft also afford this franchise the ability to sign a big name or two? Cant they lean on "even if HE walks, we can get a cheap replacement in the 3rd?"

Even given Schneider's draft acumen, we're still dealing with two uncertainties against one certainty.

We know what we have in a guy like Thomas, for example. We don't, however, know that Player X in the 3rd round could replace him or that Player Y in FA will make a difference in the way we expect.

Think about it. Buffalo paid handsomely for Mario Williams, and he was a relative non factor for them this season. Lots of people wanted Williams here, too, and maybe it would have been different. But now Williams' contract limits what Buffalo can do at other positions, and the new coach and GM are inheriting that mess.

I guess another thing that influences my thinking on this discussion is that I pretty much hate FA. I think the number of times it's paid off for teams is absolutely dwarfed by the number of times it hasn't. It's paying a player for past performance rather than future potential, for the most part - especially when it comes to the big name guys.

pehawk

Reaction score
Great stuff, Vols. You still need a haircut though, hippy.

I agree that FA to address any defensive need will spell doom about 70% of the time. Defense is about young guys and that’s pretty much it. But, on offense, it pays immediate dividends (outside of RB). The Latin term for that theory is "reverscus Holmgrenus"

volsunghawk

Reaction score
SDHawk":2z3wbhmo said:

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Right now were a top 5 team... I think it takes just a couple splashy moves to cement us firmly as superbowl contenders for the next 3-4 years.

Sidney Rice's contract expires in 2016. That should free up a grip of cash, too.

IMO, we're at the bridge right now. For example, if we think Golden Tate is worth keeping, it would benefit the team to lock him up this offseason instead of waiting for him to hit FA after 2013 is done. Thomas will come up the year after that, and Okung after that. Okung and Russell Wilson become FAs the same year, and it will be tough to award them both big contracts in the same offseason. Making splashy moves for other team's players will absolutely cost us critical pieces of our team, imo. We'll be filling one hole while digging another.

SDHawk

Reaction score
I agree that FA to address any defensive need will spell doom about 70% of the time. Defense is about young guys and that’s pretty much it.

You wouldn't take a discounted Richard Seymour for a couple years?

pehawk

Reaction score
SDHawk":303kbq5j said:
I agree that FA to address any defensive need will spell doom about 70% of the time. Defense is about young guys and that’s pretty much it.

You wouldn't take a discounted Richard Seymour for a couple years?

Oh, I would. ABSOLUTELY. Or, Dockett (he'll be cut).

The success rate doesn't apply if the FA would slaughter a bag of puppies to hit Colin Kapernick just once. Youth or attitude works.