Random Thoughts™ on the Falcons game

jkitsune

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":1idggl9s said:
"My only criticism was Seattle not taking an intentional grounding on the final play of the first half."

Isn't there an 10-second runoff if you ground the ball in that situation? That would have ended the half anyway.

Except there were about 20 seconds left on the clock and it would've been enough time to line up while they were making the call.

Aristotle22

Reaction score
Meeker":vqqowj2b said:
kearly":vqqowj2b said:
-You kind of knew 31 seconds was enough time. At least I did. Wasn't actually that heartbreaking. More disappointing than heartbreaking.

Yeah, I really didn't want to score on that first down...ugh.

Ditto, my son and I were a little nervous about that as well. Kudos to the scrambling Russell finding marshawn for the palsy that set up the touchdown

themunn

Reaction score
mrblitz":1lwe6z3g said:
on defense, i'd say keep loading up on safeties. find an earl clone so you can play a cover-2 look.

could you imagine a 2-deep with 2 earls?

I think the FO have considered that, remember they said they would have drafted Barron if he had been available at 12.
Chancellor plays up in the box a lot too, a few people suggested before the draft we were considering Barron and moving Kam to LB. Considering he plays like an extra LB at times that probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

It made me sick watching Gonzalez match up against Winston Guy though, Kam and Browner are the only two guys on the team big enough to go toe-to-toe with him, Kam should have been shadowing him all game.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
We get a pass rush and it's over, sb here we come, our secondary with a consitent pass rush and our speedy lb's and its curtains for anyone we play.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
jkitsune":jwsjtqku said:
Shadowhawk":jwsjtqku said:
"My only criticism was Seattle not taking an intentional grounding on the final play of the first half."

Isn't there an 10-second runoff if you ground the ball in that situation? That would have ended the half anyway.

Except there were about 20 seconds left on the clock and it would've been enough time to line up while they were making the call.

Hate to beat a dead horse -- but you know what kills me are the missed opportunities we had. That last second drive in which Wilson got sacked is one. But how about 2 series prior to that -- the idea of going for it on 4th and 1 at the Atlanta 11 yard line. In either case if we'd just gotten a field goal (in just ONE of those 2 series) ... we'd be on our way to San Francisco next weekend. AUGH!!!!!!

kujohawk

Reaction score
morgulon1":140yyko7 said:
Im pissed but over it at the same time. Make sense? I'm proud of my team . The way they played this year, the way they fought, the way they never got punked. They are a lot farther at this point than I thought they'd be. I love this team.

Congrats....
:13:

jkitsune

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2bqijyod said:
Thanks for the write-ups you've done all season long on these post game thoughts (in this case we should definitely say Post Mortem thoughts). If you don't mind me chiming in, I'll comment on a few things and then I've got a few random thoughts of my own ...

1) Well, the Magic Carpet Ride is finally over ... and to be honest, I do have a lot of the same feelings right now as I did back in 1995 when the Mariners went down to the Indians in the ALCS. Like a lot of you, my emotions are pretty raw right now. When the comeback was happening, there was a piece of me that honestly believed that the Seahawks were going to get it done. Unfortunately, when I realized that there 31 seconds left my heart sank, as in my heart of hearts I knew that it just wasn't going to be today.

2) Completely agreed Kip -- Russell Wilson was awesome today. Eerily, I don't know why, but I'm drawing parallels in my mind right now to Wisconsin's Rose Bowl 35-28 Loss to Oregon. Hmm. That said, I completely agree that this is the beginning of a new era in Seahawks football ... and that that future is very bright. When it's all said and done for Wilson, I fully believe he will have guided the Seahawks to and won at least 1 Super Bowl (if not a few).

3) Regarding the game today, it just goes to show you that you CANNOT allow yourself to get down by THAT many points AND turn the ball over on the road. Just cannot do that and expect to win at home. Home field advantage is everything. If this game had been played at Century Link ... I fully believe we would be heading to Candlestick next week.

4) Have to agree with you that Sweezy's inexperience was a factor in this game. I know that Pete Carroll and Tom Cable say that he is the most athletic lineman they have and that they like his makeup ... but didn't we hear those same kinds of comments about James Carpenter? You just cannot have that kind of inexperience out there in a playoff game.

5) A big reason that we lost this football game was Seattle's inability to get Marshawn Lynch and the running game going. If you can't get that going ... and don't keep Matt Ryan and those receivers off the field ... you're going to lose. We lost the Time of Possession Battle in this one -- a big No No on the road.

6) Chris Clemons's absence loomed very large in this game. Without the ability to get consistent pressure with just the Front 4, that meant we had to blitz more. Against a team like this that has so many weapons, that's the death knell. Also, it was quite shocking to see a back like Michael Turner (who has really beat no one this year) to have the kind of game he had. To me, that is also directly related to Clemons being out. I have to agree with your point completely that Bruce Irvin (to me) seems like more of a situational pass rusher -- that's his upside. Now that's fine, but you've got to resign yourself to the fact that that's what he is ... and plan accordingly. Irvin just isn't all that good against the run ... and man, did it showin this game.

7) Like you guys, the whole Time Out thing sticks in my craw (which I know it shouldn't ... but it did) since their kicker MISSED IT the first time. UGH! If we only hadn't called TO ... he'd have shanked it and the game would be over. Irrational thought for sure of mine ... but it's just one of a dozen or more "what if's" in this game.

Flipping the page and breaking out the shopping list for the offseason, the needs on this team (from what I can see) are:

1) Defensive End/Line (Pass Rusher/Run Stuffer Combo ideally)
2) A young LB to succeed Leroy Hill (sorry man, but it's time) -- can we clone Aldon Smith or Novorro Bowman?
3) Another CB to help compete with Jeremy Lane for the Nickel spot and a guy who could start if need be.
4) Another WR with speed who can really stretch the field and put pressure on defenses.
5) Offensive Line depth (maybe some more of those later round nuggets with starting potential).

To me, the first 2 things are priorities 1A and 1B. Absolutely, positively have GOT to find a way to improve the pass rush and improve against the run. If that means in doing so that Red Bryant moves in to more of a rotational role than he's been in -- I'm fine with that. We saw the benefit of what you can do if you can generate pressure with just the Front 4 in the last Rams game. I'm looking for absolute stud DE and/or LB's who can really "tilt the room" in this upcoming draft. On the flip side, that Front 4 of the Rams really highlighted to me the real need to improve the Offensive Line. The Rams aren't going anywhere, as they have the youngest corps in the game and under Jeff Fisher are only going to get better.

If we beef things up a bit this offseason (which I know John Schneider is going to do) ... the prospects look bright for next season, given that Russell Wilson and the offense will have an entire training camp together from Day 1 (instead of having to do this 3 QB rotation and figure out who's going to win the job). If we don't blow winable games by playing stupid ... there's no reason that this team can't be 12-4 ... or 13-3 next season and get Home Field Advantage in the playoffs. If I had to bet the farm, I'd bank on that happening next season. Now we got to sit back and watch the Falcons get smoked by the 49ers next week. Can't wait for the offseason and for the roster tweaking to begin.

Deserves its own thread.

Hawks46

Reaction score
When Bryant was healthy without the foot issues, he did a bit better and had a bigger impact. I'm wondering if they told him they needed him to play closer to 300 lbs if that would take pressure off of the feet and make him a bit quicker. He looked so much quicker last year and the year before, to be honest. Not sure if he gained weight this year, of it was the plantar fascitis

I agree that I'd like to see an elite DE soon. We also need a better NIckle CB and WLB. Maybe this can be solved with our current roster just getting better and more experienced (Lane, Maxwell, Smith, Scruggs).

We need a better 3 tech

morgulon1

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3qew0oiu said:
kearly":3qew0oiu said:
-You kind of knew 31 seconds was enough time. At least I did. Wasn't actually that heartbreaking. More disappointing than heartbreaking.

This is exactly how I felt. I usually let out a neighbour-waking cheer when we score a big touchdown, but today just kind of smiled. I was saving the big cheer for the end. And next door will unfortunately never get to hear it.

I had no confidence we'd get the stop... felt like we needed a big play first up (eg sack) to really set them back. That Falcons team is made to get yardage like that in a quick situation. It's a shame but I wasn't as gutted as I thought I would be.

This. I was not celebrating because of the impending feeling of Atl marching down the field to kick the winning field goal was overcoming me.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
drdiags":275gkucr said:
Our defense is not as physical as the talking heads make them out to be. Run defense has been trending down since mid-season. Pass rush and better DL/LB play will help going forward. I still cannot complain. This team has a chance to re-load and make another run at it with confidence that they belong and can play with the big boys.

Our defense is very physical at home, but on the road it's hit and miss. Today was a miss. No physicality today at all.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
jkitsune":2xxupeqi said:
Shadowhawk":2xxupeqi said:

17 seconds. And 20 is not a sure thing. See 2011 Bengals game.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3kzikncx said:
Flipping the page and breaking out the shopping list for the offseason, the needs on this team (from what I can see) are:

2) A young LB to succeed Leroy Hill (sorry man, but it's time) -- can we clone Aldon Smith or Novorro Bowman?
3) Another CB to help compete with Jeremy Lane for the Nickel spot and a guy who could start if need be.
4) Another WR with speed who can really stretch the field and put pressure on defenses.
5) Offensive Line depth (maybe some more of those later round nuggets with starting potential).

To me, the first 2 things are priorities 1A and 1B. Absolutely, positively have GOT to find a way to improve the pass rush and improve against the run. If that means in doing so that Red Bryant moves in to more of a rotational role than he's been in -- I'm fine with that. We saw the benefit of what you can do if you can generate pressure with just the Front 4 in the last Rams game. I'm looking for absolute stud DE and/or LB's who can really "tilt the room" in this upcoming draft. On the flip side, that Front 4 of the Rams really highlighted to me the real need to improve the Offensive Line. The Rams aren't going anywhere, as they have the youngest corps in the game and under Jeff Fisher are only going to get better.

If we beef things up a bit this offseason (which I know John Schneider is going to do) ... the prospects look bright for next season, given that Russell Wilson and the offense will have an entire training camp together from Day 1 (instead of having to do this 3 QB rotation and figure out who's going to win the job). If we don't blow winable games by playing stupid ... there's no reason that this team can't be 12-4 ... or 13-3 next season and get Home Field Advantage in the playoffs. If I had to bet the farm, I'd bank on that happening next season. Now we got to sit back and watch the Falcons get smoked by the 49ers next week. Can't wait for the offseason and for the roster tweaking to begin.

Top 10 Wants/Needs
1. Pass Rush DT (Upgrade J.Jones)
2. 3 Down DE (Upgrade Big Red/replace Clemons)
3. Big/Fast WR (Upgrade Tate on the opposite of Rice)
4. Pass Catching TE (Upgrade Mccoy)
5. OLB (Upgrade Hill/Smith)
6. OT (Backup for Okung, can he stay healthy another full season)
7. K (upgrade Hauska)
8. CB (Competition for Lane/Maxwell depth to let Tru retire)
9. OG (competition for Moffit/Sweezey/Carpenter)
10. MLB (more LB depth)

olyfan63

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2lg0glll said:
Top 10 Wants/Needs
7. K (upgrade Hauska)
10. MLB (more LB depth)

Hell, if we simply had Jason Jones OR Clemons available for this game, we probably win. Just improving the depth of our pass rushing capability would do it. One well timed sack to stall a Falcons drive, and we are on our way to SF for the NFC title game. We don't have to get a J.J. Watt to make the difference, just a Jason Jones or Chris Clemons equivalent who is on the field would do, and yeah, a Red Bryant replacement who can rush the passer.
Even just another couple of PC/JS's 5th or 7th round gems addressing DL needs would put us over the top. Not saying we can't be greedy, just that the margin of improvement we need is so small.
Hell, if we win one more game, Miami or Arizona opener, or Detroit, that translates into a win in this playoff game, because it's in Seattle at the Clink instead of at the Georgia done. Everything else the same, we easily win this game at the CLink.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Great stuff Kearly.

Our number one need is pass rushing DT. And what I wouldn't give to get DeAndre Hopkins, that kid is a stud.

themunn

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2l4ib9hm said:
Hawkscanner":2l4ib9hm said:

Top 10 Wants/Needs
7. K (upgrade Hauska)
10. MLB (more LB depth)

Now that the season is over I feel confident saying that Tate had a better season than Rice

QuahHawk

Reaction score
It seemed obvious to me that our WR's were not getting open most of the year. Neither Tate or Rice have blazing speed and although Tate won many jump balls it would be more than just a luxury to have a Fast but bigger and physical WR on this team. WR maybe not be a weakness but I would not consider it a strength either.

If we get a big pass catching TE that can split out wide then that would be big time. Zach Ertz or Tyler Effert could cause a ton of matchup problems and still bring power to our run game.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
I actually said during the warmups for the NE/Houston game that I would "literally give up next years entire draft for a JJ Watt clone."

A guy like that would make a ridiculous difference on this defense. We could keep big Red out there and still have a monster pass rush.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
vin.couve12":i8fysocr said:
WindCityHawk":i8fysocr said:
kearly":i8fysocr said:
-You kind of knew 31 seconds was enough time.

This. And it speaks volumes about our defense.
Well, I kind of knew that Gus was going to go prevent. I had hoped not, but indeed that's what he did. I don't care to deviate from the norm in that situation. Many coaches go ultra conservative in that situation and many end up regretting it.

Bradley DID NOT go to a PREVENT defense. WE blitzed On BOTH plays. that's not prevent defense. Matt Ryan just beat up on the blitz.

NJ'S_SEAHAWKS_ZONE

Reaction score
Wish the lynch fumble was reversed since you can't advance a fumble under 2minutes looked like I was recovered on the 1 inch line to me and we would of had to run one or more plays to get it in and take more time off the clock ...cause 6 seconds came off during their return .....only if right.....o well.....go hawks