Frightening Thought: Russell Wilson will get better

ceej22

Reaction score
I don't want to play devil's advocate here but I'd like to point out there have been other QB's to have good/great rookie seasons only to slump or fall off completely. Personally I feel Wilson is different in that he works his tail off week in and week out. The other thing helping him out is the team Schneider/Carroll have put together. Unlike some/most of the other QB's to drop off we actually have a good...no great team.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Luckily we have a Defense that can score and S p e c i a l teams. Its a very good looking team on film.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
ceej22":ig3l7r2h said:
I don't want to play devil's advocate here but I'd like to point out there have been other QB's to have good/great rookie seasons only to slump or fall off completely. Personally I feel Wilson is different in that he works his tail off week in and week out. The other thing helping him out is the team Schneider/Carroll have put together. Unlike some/most of the other QB's to drop off we actually have a good...no great team.

There have been sophomore slumps to be sure, but even with some of the perceived "slumps" we're seeing with guys like Bradford and Newton, they're not statistically that bad. At least not as bad as we sometimes make it out to be.

mikeak

Reaction score
ceej22":zpyfh0e5 said:

I think (no stat to back this up) that sophomore slump usually comes from extremely gifted players. Those players that doesn't have to put in the same amount of work and yet excel at their position. As they get lazy / overconfident in the offseason AND opposing teams gets 16 games on tape they create the sophomore slump. The difference in players like RW and Peyton Manning is that their work ethic is what makes them continue to develop and stay one step ahead continuously.

chris98251

Reaction score
I was thinking about this and looking back at the SF game in particular - Wilson's scrambling style is going to quickly force coaches to tell their defenders to textbook tackle rather than looking for the big hit to shake him up (which is usually what you'd aim for to make him think twice), because he's making defenders look foolish every time they come at him too quickly.

Fran Tarkenton

Francis Asbury 'The Scrambler' Tarkenton

Position: QB
Height: 6-0 Weight: 190 lbs.

Born: February 3, 1940 in Richmond, VA (Age 72)
College: Georgia (school history)
Drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the 3rd round (29th overall) of the 1961 NFL Draft.
Drafted by the Boston Patriots in the 5th round (34th overall) of the 1961 AFL Draft.

9-time Pro Bowler & 1-time First-Team All-Pro

Sir Francis managed to last 18 yrs in the league, he made defenders look silly up until he was 38 years old, yes more on gile and being wiley then speed at 38 but was still doing it. If we can get 10 to 12 from Wilson I would be very happy. Russell plays smart and his body is more RB then prototypical QB. I think being so and having stocky mass will help him not get the injuries that many QB's get with being so lankey.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
mikeak":2i6w3wcm said:
ceej22":2i6w3wcm said:

I think (no stat to back this up) that sophomore slump usually comes from extremely gifted players. Those players that doesn't have to put in the same amount of work and yet excel at their position. As they get lazy / overconfident in the offseason AND opposing teams gets 16 games on tape they create the sophomore slump. The difference in players like RW and Peyton Manning is that their work ethic is what makes them continue to develop and stay one step ahead continuously.

:13: It is all about work ethic....and no one else works harder than Russell! How many of the other QB's mentioned give "game plans" to their fellow players before Tuesday morning?

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Just imagine where he'd be if he hadn't had to wait until preseason week 3 to get first team reps! The force is strong with this one!

Go Hawks!

Latest posts